Much Controversy Over Google's Accelerator

<CENTER>
logo.gif
</CENTER>

Yesterday, Google released perhaps its most controversial product ever: The Google Web Accelerator. Its a simple product, one that promises to speed up your internet connection like many little applications have in the past. It doesn't seem like much.

Of course, peer a little deeper, and you might even be impressed. The ideas behind Web Accelerator are pretty nice, smart enough to be worthy of a Googler's 20% time. Google has essentially decided to make "an extra copy" of the entire World Wide Web (or at least the HTML and images of it) and let you run it off their servers, because Google's servers are always faster (Blogger and Orkut aside, of course).

Dig even deeper and the picture grows to reveal a whole nother world of possibilities. Google is really offering to replace the web, wanting everyone to use their copy instead of the public copy. While the World Wide Web is currently a decentralized network of nationwide servers, Google wants the whole web to run off its computers, in one of its anonymous, nondescript data centers.
Look just a bit deeper and the picture becomes a bit murky. If you run the web off Google's computers, then Google knows everything you do. It reads every page you read, every email you write and send, and sees every bit of pervertedness you look at. Google has complete control of your web, and the freedom to change it as it sees fit, if it ever decides to. More importantly, Google can keep a record of everything you do, information that could prove quite valuable.

Now, pull out your microscopes. That murkiness? It's not confusion, or paranoia. No, your internet just got a little darker, because someone has decided to crap on it.

See, Google isn't serving web pages faster, its serving other people's versions of the web page faster. What does that mean? Try using Web Accelerator on a forum site, one with lots of geeks who love Google and probably already have Web Accelerator installed. Why, if you're lucky, you'll be logged in as someone else, as the folks at SomethingAwful.com discovered. The posters in that forum discovered that most of the times they refreshed the page, they were logged in as a different person, seeing their friend's control panel for the forums.

They were even kind enough to provide screenshots.

This isn't the first time Google has stepped in it.

Controversy, that is. Thirteen months ago, when Gmail was "released" into beta, the concept of an ad system that read your email frightened folks. Last October, when Google Desktop Search hit, the call from IT departments was to stay away over security concerns. And just a few months ago, an Autolinking feature in Google's newest toolbar angered many prominent bloggers.

All of those were concerns. This is real.

Installing Accelerator will, at some point, let you into a private area you shouldn't be seeing. Maybe it'll be a control panel or options area for a logged in user. Maybe it'll be a **** site with password protection. Maybe it will be a private Microsoft message board where developers discuss trade secrets regarding the next version of Windows. It will happen, and when it does, I expect screenshots.

Oh, there are benefits to using the Accelerator. Web pages run more than twice as fast, no doubt about it. And there is a benefit to Google, a perfectly nice one at that. By seeing where you browse, Google knows which pages are useful and which are spam. After all, a fake link designed to curry favor with Google won't get any clicks, so Google knows to just go ahead and ignore it.

But are the benefits worth the costs? Web Accelerator is free, so the cost of using it is not readily apparent. For example, on any site that has a logon, you must tell Web Accelerator not to index them. In addition, anyone who runs a website with any user-specific data, you must add "pragma no-cache" to the HTML header of every page to prevent problems. Accelerator might break site statistics (so very valuable to most webmasters), so it's almost advisable to site owners to disable Web Accelerator on every single page. <font color="#FF0000">According to Search Engine Journal</font> webmasters have a much simpler way of blocking Web Accelerator, by banning the IP address ranges 72.14.192.0 – 72.14.192.255.

In fact, if there are so many negatives to this product from a webmaster perspective, who would anyone not disable caching of their pages? Of course, if Google has released a product so damaging that it requires a massive edit of the entire internet, maybe it shouldn't be their problem, it should be Google's.

So, what's the big upside, the one reason so tempting that Google can assure it will not see a mass banning of its product?

PageRank.

The hidden benefit is that sites which allow usage of the Accelerator will likely get a boost in Google rankings relative to sites that do not. Google will have deeper usage data for those sites, data which can be used to determine that site's rankings. Given the highly competitive search engine optimization field, and Google's lofty place within it, that may be a temptation that proves too juicy to resist.

Source

really interesting piece of news....
but i cant see anyone being able to stop google from going ahead with thier plans....
btw tht reading gmail mails of users for adverts, is it for real and the practise is still continued???

whenever a new product gets launched, there is no dearth of scaremongers around trying to spread panic, often fuelled by competitors, which in this case ; i'd not be surprised if it were ICANN/MS
however for a site run by techies, banning the google ip's at the very onset amounts to paranoia which isn't a healthy trend....

banning google ip's just on the basis of hearsay is somethting for which though I am not entitled to ask for an explanation would still love to hear one.

hmm...a very interesting find there....

Imagine a person .... a new member logged in as an Admin!!!:S

Too many drawbacks....i think this s/w could also harm googles search engine popluarity if it is implemented. Ofcourse, there will be those who have no idea about the above and will still use google but if the above is implemented, as said, page ranks will be effected....resulting in manipulated search results???

Pretty interesting....i would love to see what happens next:).

Let me crank the fear factor up another notch. I wounder how this fits in with the rumors of a Google Browser. Talk about owning the internet. I would be more afraid of Google than those who were afraid of Microsoft.

^^ i have to agree with ya.. Google's a listed company now.. if Enron/ World Tel cud screw up and fall what assurance do we have that Google wont be fradulent? mey be not now.. perhaps in future.. its still a wild theory.. but enough to scare the sleep outta mee..

omg...how cud google even think of something like that :p
for google browser, i think they're going to make use of the same technology.
google is gonna need some terrific web space and bandwidth to store a carbon
copy of the whole www. :p

Its better to wait and watch on this on.
Who knows what kind of security holes are there in this product.

QuickFire said:
omg...how cud google even think of something like that :p
for google browser, i think they're going to make use of the same technology.
google is gonna need some terrific web space and bandwidth to store a carbon
copy of the whole www. :p
actually i don't think it will be that tough for them.
Money is never a problem in this case. esp if you look at the returns. Other sites spend a fortune to get a little info about the users who browse there sites. what google will be getting is a whole user database with what people are browsing. It makes a superb commercial sense to do this.(infact it already has the email db.. no one deletes his mail now on gmail. and with soon to be released messaging client and browser, you have one killer combo)
If you look at it, its perfectly logical if they wanna spend some money on servers. the rewards are too grt for google.. (dunno about us users though)

superczar said:
whenever a new product gets launched, there is no dearth of scaremongers around trying to spread panic, often fuelled by competitors, which in this case ; i'd not be surprised if it were ICANN/MS
however for a site run by techies, banning the google ip's at the very onset amounts to paranoia which isn't a healthy trend....

banning google ip's just on the basis of hearsay is somethting for which though I am not entitled to ask for an explanation would still love to hear one.

Can you please prove the opposite of this,"scaremongers around trying to spread panic" & since your gonna do that maybe you can provide us with a little review & some screen shots.

From what i know you are living in India,so you didnt even have the chance to test it,i tested it myself,beside that what does ICANN/MS has to do with this?

Google's web accelerator is not working worse then that it breaks web app & security,do you have any idea what some site's have went through in the last 72 hours?

Oh & if you prove the "techies" here & the others zillion "techies" out there that they are wrong & the no-voice user which was totally terrified after using google's web accelerator,then i promise you my friend that i will publish your name & findings on the best technology site's in the world,who knows maybe your findings will get you a job in google.

Oh & if you prove the "techies" here & the others zillion "techies" out there that they are wrong & the no-voice user which was totally terrified after using google's web accelerator,then i promise you my friend that i will publish your name & findings on the best technology site's in the world,who knows maybe your findings will get you a job in google.

- Thanks for the gracious offer sire, I do not need that

- The same users were terrified when they heard that Google Mail will be scanning their mails to target ads at them....Where are those scaremongers now?

- The articeyou've posted is speculative say like the bizillions of articles one keeps reading about cellphone radiation frying your brain cells ,,,,it doesn't prsent conclusive evidence

- EDITED....content not in accordance with forum rules. Please check ur PM

My point is that taking a step like banning Google accelerator IPs isn't justified unless we have strong evidence to justify it...

superczar. Next time refrain from making general out of context statements that are against forum rules and racist in nature

rule violation:

Nationality - This forum has members representing countries from around the world. Political propaganda will not be tolerated. Deliberate and/or malicious "country bashing" will result in action up to and including user ban depending on severity. All posts found offending are to be reported to the respective moderators of the forum.
Racism – Any racist or sexist remarks will be deleted and the member will be warned or banned.All members are treated alike by the staff of TechEnclave.

Community rules

superczar said:
- Thanks for the gracious offer sire, I do not need that
- The same users were terrified when they heard that Google Mail will be scanning their mails to target ads at them....Where are those scaremongers now?
- The articeyou've posted is speculative say like the bizillions of articles one keeps reading about cellphone radiation frying your brain cells ,,,,it doesn't prsent conclusive evidence
- EDITED....content not in accordance with forum rules. Please check ur PM
My point is that taking a step like banning Google accelerator IPs isn't justified unless we have strong evidence to justify it...

After i read your comment's which are plain shocking,i am not gonna reply to your comments,it was all & all a Tech converstion.

Fair enough...Accepted it was a racist statement ...However, it did not amount to a S-H-O-C-K-I-N-G statment as yu've put it....

But I am still waiting for the justification....

Superczar,

Please read the rules carefully and do go through my PM.
As for Justification,

SuperNova already posted it....but here is a recap
Racism – Any racist or sexist remarks will be deleted and the member will be warned or banned.All members are treated alike by the staff of TechEnclave.
EDIT ( After reading the post below. )

Sorry i got you wrong...this post will be deleted in a few minutes.

I did not ask for a justification behind my post being edited....
In fact the post that we aretalking about carried an apology for the same reason for which it has been edited....
I am taking about the justification behind Google IPs being blocked

Back