Music in your car...

There are 2 basic methods:

1. Either have the audio output from your CD player/Ipod/whatever and then use a cassette adaptor/FM transmitter to relay your audio to your car stereo. This is assuming your car stereo is a cassette player, and you dont want to replace it (?)

2. Just get a dedicated car CD player / MP3 capable CD player / HDD based MP3 player

- As per option 1, Sound quality will suffer significantly with a cassette adaptor. You will be severely restricted by your cassette player's head - most cassette player units barely offer a freq response of 20 - 16Khz and a poor SNR, while a CD is capable of the full 20 - 20Khz. Basically, even if you have the highest quality audio running through a cassette adapator, your audio will be completely confined within the specs of your cassette player - which needless to say will be poor.

An FM transmitter is only marginally better with the frequency response, but the static and other noises in the background wouldn't constitute a high quality listen.

- A dedicated MP3 CD player unit would be your best option. Why not go for that? Audio would be at its best possible - depending only on the quality of your source PC audio files, and of course the CD player unit.

A HDD of course would offer more storage, and leave out the need to keep swapping CDs (but are expensive)

mp3 cd player is the best option out there and quite cheap too ... good pioneer pieces in the 12-15k range...sony sux tho. The pioneer in my car has a wierd problem...it cant play mp3s smoothly @ 160kbps :O...it plays every other bitrate ..even 192kbps..only 160kbps seems to stutter a lot:p

Decadent_Spectre said:
i know but at what cost of sound quality?...

dont even go with the iPod...ugh...such horrible sound output...
no dude...my ipod mini works perfect....quite good sound quality...

Decadent_Spectre said:
...what do you use to get your PC music to your car?

i know of three options,burn CDs,FM transmitter,In dash player with built in HDD

any other ideas?

i use option 1, have a cd-rw that i keep reusing.

thanks for the input...as much as i would like a HDD MP3 player...seems they are not so widely available even abroad[and also seem a bit buggy...].....i guess MP3 CD/DVD player then :S....

As per option 1, Sound quality will suffer significantly with a cassette adaptor. You will be severely restricted by your cassette player's head - most cassette player units barely offer a freq response of 20 - 16Khz and a poor SNR, while a CD is capable of the full 20 - 20Khz. Basically, even if you have the highest quality audio running through a cassette adapator, your audio will be completely confined within the specs of your cassette player - which needless to say will be poor.

An FM transmitter is only marginally better with the frequency response, but the static and other noises in the background wouldn't constitute a high quality listen.

Hey eddy, I have tried both options, and frankly, option 2 gives totally s$%^y sound quality while option 1 is pretty good ...given the fact that you can't really enjoy audiophile sound clarity within a running car (due to the inevitable NVH inside a ruuning vehicle), option 1 (cassette adapter) gives pretty good sound ....As good as a dedicated MP3 player sounds...trust me on this....I have tried:

1- MP3 discman with a cassette adapter- good

2- MP3 discman with a FM transmitter- Very poor

3- Dedicated MP3 CD player- As good or as bad as 1

Back