Music Player for Android (research and finding)

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
After a months long hunt for a decent music player in android (v11+) seems to reach and end for me.
Documenting my findings here - which might be helpful for someone looking for a decent app which could reproduce near bit-perfect audio in mobile devices.

Out of Scope:
1. iPhone - just ensure one is not using any kind of apple "pods".
2. Sony Xperia/Walkman series - These came with build in player which is amazing, nothing exist in paystore/3rd party app that can even come close to it.

Phone: Moto G40
Headphones: Wireless: Oppo W11, JBL 650/660, Tagg inferno,
Wired: too many to list, Beyerdynamic, AKG. Audio Technical m50/T500, to name a few. ( NOTE: phone was struggling to drive cans above 150 - 200ohm, so AT T500 (96 Ω) and some JBL endurance (32-64 Ω) IEM were extensively used)​

I have tested over 30 apps, listing only which worth mentioning.
Any built in android/ Motorola music/EQ is disabled - they were doing their best to spoil the sound quality in all possible ways, muddy, muffled, saturated, etc.
No EQ is used in any app/eq off, mostly tested with high fidelity music (44khz cd rips to 192khz vinyl).
No external DAC/Amp is used.

Top ranked:
This is the best when it came to sound reproduction. No bells and whistles pure sound.​
UI is not the best, as one can see in modern day apps. Not many things user can customise.​
But hey all i want is pure unsaturated sound - and this deliver just that.​
This is not for everyone but for serious listener only.​
2. Eon Player Pro
User is given option to bypass android sound system - which does the wonder.​
Good sound quality, almost similar to Onkyo's quality with modern days UI and user customizability.​
This is the only app i found that was able to push album art in lockscreen, it was creating a secondary lockscreen not the moto default one, so user had to swipe twice to unlock phone.​
3. Pulsar Pro
This is the right blend of app, almost near bit-perfect and the best UI out the the lot.​
Has replay gain, pre/post amp, etc what one could expect in a pro music player and functioning as intended.​
Has audio playback speed and pitch shift function - is very handy if user listen to audiobooks.​
Im keeping it in #3 because in very few tracks, it was altering the purity of music when replay gain were turned on. specially on country/lock&pop type music.​
But it performed in Metal, D&B, electronic, etc genres slightly better then EON and on par with HF player.​

Fallen heroes:
4. Phonograph Music Player
Once my player of choice, now abandoned by developer - has compatibility issues with android 11 and relied in native android sound system which is pathetic by default.​
5. Neutron Player
This was probably the first music player i purchased, sad to see this player failed, one praised by the audiophile community and was my default flac player in 20015-16, now became the victim of google's bad policies.​
Seems like this player has given up and not adapting to today's devices due to various restriction imposed by google.​
6. Poweramp
Don't know why i even tested it or keeping it in this section.​
I got this in ages ago while there was a offer i got it for 50rs or so.​
Never liked it, not liking it these days as well.​

Notable mentions:
7. Foobar
It is my default player in iOS and windows.​
While its doing wonder in iPhone and iPad as my default music app, its not able to do its magic in android.​
UI is dated and complicated as well.​
8. AIMP
Sound reproduction is in par with top-3 listed above, somehow i dont like it because of the dated interface and complication with android 11.​

Horrible mentions:
9999999. Boom: Music Player, Bass Booster and Equalizer
Any music related search in app store bring this app in top search results.​
This is a product where marketing budget is 100x than development budget.​
Never seen a music app this bad, which promises everything but failed to deliver even primary objective - playing decent music.​
Will install some separate EQ system without any information to user - as if default android does not come with a system wide pathetic EQ system.​
If user need a system wide EQ we have Viper.​
This app is the only serious competitor of google - Lets make music play bad. Google is doing that on purpose - to sell YT music... why this Boom app is doing i am clueless.​
Aarogya Setu of music app - STAY AWAY : This app will try to connect every data stealing services on this planet - facebook, twitter, appboy, baidu, newrelic, bugsnag, apploving, amplitute, is just name a few.​
Over 53 tracker were pinged within first minute of app usage by nmap! god knows how much data it will collect by the time one finished listening to one song. Restricting internet making this player go mad.​
Fun facts - paid version of boom cost 4,000/- where as EON is available for just 150/- ( Rs.70 only with offer)​

What has gone wrong with Neutron Player, if you don't mind me asking. I bought it recently to use with external DAC. I don't do a lot of modifications apart from using a few EQ options. Other product in consideration was UAPP and Onkyo, but both got rejected because of their UI.
There is Hiby player as well which is supposedly good, but again UI is where many of these options fail.

What has gone wrong with Neutron Player, if you don't mind me asking. I bought it recently to use with external DAC. I don't do a lot of modifications apart from using a few EQ options. Other product in consideration was UAPP and Onkyo, but both got rejected because of their UI.
There is Hiby player as well which is supposedly good, but again UI is where many of these options fail.
I tried Neutron some time back but had to leave it due to its horrendous ui. It seemed to be stuck in the 80s. Not sure if anything has changed.

What has gone wrong with Neutron Player, if you don't mind me asking.
Sound clarity was missing, as if was trying do some kind of auto-volume levelling.
Sound was cracking in almost all Metallica tracks.
Was very much evident in "I Disappear", where as the track is just 44.1 kHz /16 bit, nothing out of ordinary.
another track where major distortion were observed - Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes ( 96.0 kHz / 24 bit), right from the initial guitar rift.

not sure what is the actual cause.. seems to be some compatibility issues with android11 or my phone.
if this worked i don't have to use another player (bubble) for playing form my NAS.

If its working in your phone - its is one of the best to pass-through to external DAC/AMP.

I tried Neutron some time back but had to leave it due to its horrendous ui. It seemed to be stuck in the 80s. Not sure if anything has changed.
Nothing changed as of today as of UI, same dated android eclair era interface.

I am using Pulsar since last 2 years or more, very good software.
One time only I installed this onkyo ( don't remember if it was pirated or trial version) but so much customizations and poor layout all made me frustrated hence uninstalled.
Many people praised this onkyo specially it's one of a few players which plays DSD format.
how does it compare to pulsar ?

Does Pulsar support bit-perfect ? I did not see that mentioned anywhere. It seems to have the best looking GUI of the lot.

how does it compare to pulsar ?
almost negligible differences. one can only find if they deliberately want to... lets say , Hk provides 2% more clarity.
But as a whole package, pulsar ticks more check-boxes and brings more usability to end user.

the installation i have for onkyo - it just asked which equipment/headphones i'm using, i selected custom.
There is nothing more to customise in this, apart from Eq on/off and lots of equaliser presets.

Old school layout - its the same what we see in almost all hardware manufacturers app. be it Onkyo's HK, Sennheiser’s captune, etc,
Does Pulsar support bit-perfect ? I did not see that mentioned anywhere. It seems to have the best looking GUI of the lot.
nope, they haven't mention it anywhere, i had checked their entire XDA thread, no mention of anything like that.
I think only two apps says that they are bit perfect - one is Neutron and the other you mentioned earlier USB Audio Player Pro.

Last edited:
Sound was cracking in almost all Metallica tracks.
Was very much evident in "I Disappear", where as the track is just 44.1 kHz /16 bit, nothing out of ordinary.
another track where major distortion were observed - Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes ( 96.0 kHz / 24 bit), right from the initial guitar rift.
It maybe is due to clipping. Few metallica albums are notorious for bad mastering afaik. Try to decrease the preamp gain by 4-5 dB. Then increase the volume.

VLC has worked well for me on windows and linux over the years. You should try it again since there's been many improvements since you might have last tried it.

VLC has worked well for me on windows and linux over the years. You should try it again since there's been many improvements since you might have last tried it.
Android version of same Windows or linux based application may or may not be as good.
I was also in the same confusion, I am using J River media center for windows since more than a decade now but never tried on android as many reviewers weren't happy with the performance.
After trying many android apps I finally settled for pulsar and using it since last two years but I seriously miss that sony walkman app.
As we're here for research, now I think it's worth trying j river and vlc too.

J River media center for windows
i'm using foobar in windows and iOS, cant ask more. foobar fits all my need on those platform.

android apps I finally settled for pulsar
indeed this is somehow matching my requirement, but i'm still not fully satisfied - which i guess on android. i will never be.

Update on main context:
Here is some good thing i discovered recently, solving my problem till large extent.
in Bubble pnp - went and change setting to use ffmpeg for decoding all audio -- and man, the difference is day and night -- audio is crystal clear now.
My problem of listening music form my home NAS is shorted. With this setting change i'm getting exact what i was looking for.

And now i'm settled/ using 3 player ( EQ disabled in all):
1. bubblepnp - for music from NAS , 100% satisfied now. acceptable result even with ReplyGain ( with 3db pre-amp) active.
2. Pulsar - mostly for audiobooks, and old Indian music which need little EQ sometime. great of battery consumption than onkyo so using this while travel. Overall best all-rounder.
3. Onkyo HF - for most of my lossless music stored in phone.

I only listen to some lossless music including Flacs, Dsf etc. and use Pulsar.
How does it perform when compared to Onkyo HF ? only for music.

Very nice thread! Like Vishal, I'm a fellow VLC user myself (on both Android and Linux)... primarily for the flexibility it provides - Video, Audio, SMB support. But I've been wanting to try out some Audio only players for quite some time now.

Pulsar.
How does it perform when compared to Onkyo HF
Pulsar vs Onkyo - in default setting HF has little bit more clarity. but its hard to differentiate in most of the cases.
for pulsar i use 3db preamp and reply gain mode set to album - i think this made the vocals slightly clear.

----------------

Also for Audio books someone suggested Smart AudioBook Player (Made by ukrainian developer).
I'm really liking it.. it remembers playback position for simultaneous books, allows to have bookmarks - it functions almost same like an ebook reader.

Back