OC & Modding My 1st Overclock

POLYGON

Disciple
Hi Guys I just managed to push my sweet PC s little above its limits :

I had a :

Athlon64 3200+ (2.0Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache, SH7-C0 revision, on stock HSF with AS5 applied)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum 1.70(self modded bios)
1 SATA 80 GB Hdd from Samsung
2*256MB PC3700 SuperElixir RAM

I know that's not a gr8 PC but the following looks certainly better :

Ahtlon64 running at 2.30 ghz and RAM at 230Mhz DDR at 2-3-2-5 :clap:
following are the link to pics of CPU-Z:

cpu-23001.jpg

memory-23001.jpg

Congrats.
But firsy you need to save these pics as JPG and not BMP. ITs too big file for most. Its taking a lot of time to open. And 2nd use thumbnails. SImply upload your JPEGS to www.imageshack.us JPEG will be smaller.

yeah it looks like winbond CH-5, but in that case he must have either modded PSU 3.3V rails or had bought a DDR voltage booster

but anyways polygon nice overclock and i bet u can go further ahead as well

Rockyme2002 said:
Didnt get u??? why do u say so ;)
2-3-2-5 is very typical of winbond CH-5 ;). So it seems elixir is the ram to get :p. Always thought they were the bottom of the bin pile of crap ;)

Nice... but there is a very basic mistake.... Socket 754 3200+ runs at 2.2 GHz. The 2800+ = 1.8Ghz, 3000+ = 2.0 GHz, 3200+ = 2.2 Ghz.

So, what Polygon has achieved is a modest oc of 100Mhz.

@POLYGON -- No offence...... But you can go waaaaay higher than that..... 100MHz oc is nothing to brag abt..... Please don't take any offence......

I suggest you keep pushingn your FSB till you computer does not restart at all. Then increase the voltage by one step. Post your results at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikhil said:
Nice... but there is a very basic mistake.... Socket 754 3200+ runs at 2.2 GHz. The 2800+ = 1.8Ghz, 3000+ = 2.0 GHz, 3200+ = 2.2 Ghz.

@POLYGON -- No offence...... But you can go waaaaay higher than that..... 100MHz oc is nothing to brag abt..... Please don't take any offence......

I suggest you keep pushingn your FSB till you computer does not restart at all. Then increase the voltage by one step. Post your results at that time.
the s754 nuke runs at 2.2ghz , his cpu is a hammer whose stock speed is 2ghz

Nikhil said:

Its a clawhammer... runs at 2GHz. Plus its a C0 so incredibly bad for overclocking.

Sorry.... my mistake..... If you have a Clawhammer, then it is a decent oc.... and if Chaos is correct, then unfortunately you may not have too much potential left......

OT: Which bike is that in your avatar??? If it is yours, be careful, I might turn to a life of crime......

Nikhil posted 6.1 minutes later:

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4849

Something to help you out in oc'ing........ All the best..... Take inspiration from the best oc'ers of TE --- Darky, Funky, Bottle, Deejay, JediMaster, Crazy_Eddy, etc.....

Like how we have Winchester, Venice and San Diego in Socket 939, in Socket 754, there was Newcastle(Nuke for short) and Clawhammer.

they were the names of the processors.

I am not sure but I thing clawhammer was the very first AMD 64. Newcastle was also in 939 form. The higher end 939 (before Venice and San Diego) were manufactured on 130nm process and not on 90nm like Winchester.

But now, all AMD 63 processors are 90nm.

yeah I have a clawhammer and C0 revision means that maximum overclock of my processor wud be near 2.4 Ghz not above it not below 2.3Ghz ie it lies in between 2.3~2.4Ghz. I have tried running the CPU at even 1.65V but no gain.

For Ram I am having SuperElixir PC3700 RAM which have Winbond CH-5 operating at 3V.

Anyways what's the price of a Athlon64 3200+ (S-754, 2.2Ghz, 512KB cache, CG revision)

Is there any newer revision than CG???

Can I use 3*SuperElixir PC3700 RAM on a CG revision based processor????

3 RAM sticks implies 2T timing on CG processors, DDR 266/333(depending on board) on older C0 ones as they dont support 2T. Some boards Dont even support DDR400 with 3 sticks on CG rev CPUs though the neo platinum is fine in that regard..

Back