Laptops My Dell DVD drive gone kaput

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
Hello Te'ites...
I have a dell studio xps 1457 laptop. Off late the dvd drive is not functioning as it refuses to detect or read and of the cds/dvds. I was thinking of getting it verified from dell and getting it rectified/replaced. Can anyone tell me is it worth to get the drive replaced as regards to cost and time or is it better to purchase an external dvd drive. My laptop is 3 years old so it is out of warranty. Besides i bought my laptop from Mumbai but staying in Delhi and i will be in Mumbai only for two weeks max. Can they replace my drive in this short time?
Can anyone share your experiences, if any? Thanks.

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
Well if anybody can let me know how much would it cost to get my old drive replaced with a new one from dell?? If it is to cost me more than external dvd writer then it makes sense to go for an ecternal drive.

topgear

Adept
Aug 15, 2009
I think yes, and the price of external ODD is 600-800 bucks more than internal laptop ODD but SCs will charge a hefty amount for the job so if you don't know how to install an internal laptop ODD better get an extrenal one.

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
So it is... I would opt for an external optical drive. Any suggestions which one currently is the best in the market? My usage would be minimal(read almost zero) except in life saving situations where i have to install some softwares from optical discs or install OS. Thanks again.
By Dell, do you mean Dell Authorized Service Center?
Yes i meant from Dell Service Center.