My Experiences: After my email was Hacked

mahistuffs

Disciple
Yesterday began as a great day..I was looking forward to complete the last minute arrangements for a House warming ceremony to be held on Wednesday and the fine day took a sudden head-on turn.

I have 2 gmail accounts one I use for regular communication and one the 2nd for *ahem* other stuffs like torrents etc to my surprise the 2nd account was not logging in…I use firefox for primary browsing…and have the 2nd account in IE 8.0 as homepage with password saved..Btw my OS is Windows XP..and use Nod32 Smart security.

I tried with the usual password which is 8 digit length with upper & lower case , includes number and a special character. I tried the last few passwords I remembered as I had saved the password I though may be I have forgotten it…I have read few weeks ago a Google server was down and users were unable to access it…so goggled it and found it had returned an error to the user….and I was getting username /password incorrect….tried the recover password option…and since I had not set a secondary email id I had to wait till 24hours before the security question was shown to recover the account….I did not suspect anything even at this moment…..I tried to send a mail to my 2nd account to check if something is wrong with server and to find if the mail bounces back….to my horror I got a mail back asking what I want from my 2nd account…when I emailed back WTF who are you. …I got a reply that he is doing for money and I need to pay to get back my account.

I use few hd torrents sites regularly and have saved passwords for them in firefox….to add on to my misery one of the sites did not login and tried the password which I use and found it to be incorrect…. …and few other torrents sites were also not logging in (My first mistake: I used same password for all my torrent accounts)….went to gmail account and tried to recover the 2nd account using account compromised option….I had to answer many questions and give a secondary email account ….Thankfully after 30 to 40 mins I got an email with a link and procedure to login to the 2nd email account…..

I unlocked my 2nd account and found that the first thing the hacker has done was to use the forgot password option on paypal…which I have not been using for ages and the balance is $1.95 and has no credit card linked….and after that he has gone to almost all the torrent sites I am a member and has used the recover password option to get new passwords for the account…he had taken over my seed box with a call log for a fresh ip/password…

I was tensed very much as in most of my HD torrent accounts I had a very high ratio with uploads over 1.5TB….and was frantically visiting every site to recover the account again…I was able to restore most of the accounts…however in HD torrent site the hacker has changed the email id registered….I was not sure how to contact admin of the site…so posted a thread for help …with the help of few in this forum and from a few friends was able to get in touch with a mod to recover my account today morning…

The hacker has used mine to invite another guy…he had changed the profile country / time zone…and yes all problem to India come from only one country mainly…he was from that country and had changed the time zone to GMT + 5:00 hrs and also invite another f***** from his country …have reported to the mods about it…..another shock was waiting for me here…I thought my account was hacked on Saturday but the user registered from my invite was registered on 27th of May.

:huh: I don’t have the faintest idea on how this would have happened. Few mistakes I have commited..I believe are
* Using same password for all my torrent accounts and
* is saving password on firefox a problem? I did not have a master password set
* I use Nod 32 smart security and don’t have any other spy ware or other related apps.
* I allowed one of my distant cousin to use the system on Saturday and he had used it to download few torrents from public tracker…I initially thought one of the crac**cks he has downloaded would have had a virus or Trojan …but the invite from my torrent account sent on 27th makes me think otherwise…

I use the PC for downloads and don’t install any apps with cra**cks as this is an intel atom based system ….and I don’t want to slow it down…apart from downloading..i use it for movies and don’t play any games…so I have ….imageburn, KM player, VLC and few other essentials like winrar etc..apart from this the pc has no new softwares…

Oh btw the hacker has used the seedbox to seed a few of his torrents from ip torrents…I am not a member of that site…but mailed the admins with the links of the torrents he was downloading in my seedbox…with the help of the info in the url the mods have acted against him… :clap:

From them on I have changed each of my account passwords to a complex 10 digit one …and each account with a different one..

I have a wireless router and have changed its password and modem’s password to a complex one.

Guys,
Can you please suggest me what I should do to safeguard myself.

Should I format my pc and install all software freshly…( I scanned my entire system using Nod and then using webroot spysweep trial…which identified many cookies only and did not clean any as it’s a trial).

What other antispyware / other security software should I use?

Some new social engineering going around, you receive a Facebook message from your friend, asking you to visit a link which resemble facebook. People try to log on there thinking its facebook, and since most people use the gmail ID to log onto facebook, the hacker gets the gmail ID and facebook ID control, he will send the same message to your facebook list, and take control of your email also.

Another reason, check clearly the link you open, and anything .ru or so trash or report forgery to Mozilla so atleast firefox users will be spared.

its better not to save password on browser....becoz when u hear ie exploits and all...these are the same way password being hacked......so its better u create a word file and save stuffs in it and hide it in extreme corner of hdd not in the primary os partition also password protect that word file too with different password...

ANd now the most important stuff is to make sure u dont keep any foolish question for retrieving password...in forgot your password section ...seen many people keeping questions like my first mobile number or my favourite color etc....which is easy to retrieve ...its better u keep answer for this question like your family members name...though they are not linked to the question....

ANd ya dont accept or click on links provided on facebook etc etc.....even frm your friend...or keep updated your antivirus...nod32 havent tried heard its good keep it updated...... i use avast....and havent faced a problem with it..also have tried avg that too is good....also its better to keep only a single antivirus becoz it detects other AV as virus...competition u c

I think u need a good internet security suites with malicious web page blocking. :cool2:

Probably if u had been using Kaspersky IS or Norton IS, u wouldn't have faced this issue. Keep a good IS and avoid all the drama...:p
Still, security is something that even the best IS around seems to fail on sumtime or the other. :no: At the end, all luck mate :)

I have been using this add on in firefox since last month and I have to say it has helped me a lot...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3456

What it does is display a colored circle by the side of links and websites in google search displaying the level of security on the site...

green circle are safe sites...

I received a facebook messages from friends with links to some sites... and this addon showed the link in red (unsafe) so i never click on such links...

TechHead said:
Hehe, GMT+5 timezone - our dear neighbours to the north-west?

yes he is from that country...checked the IP address i was able to retireve from the mail he sent me...its pointing to an location in their country.

mahistuffs said:
yes he is from that country...checked the IP address i was able to retireve from the mail he sent me...its pointing to an location in their country.

why dont u forward your story to google also......for their reference and blocking the ip

clown_abhi said:
I think u need a good internet security suites with malicious web page blocking. :cool2:

Probably if u had been using Kaspersky IS or Norton IS, u wouldn't have faced this issue. Keep a good IS and avoid all the drama...:p
Still, security is something that even the best IS around seems to fail on sumtime or the other. :no: At the end, all luck mate :)

Yes I need it...thanks for your suggestion...which of these is less on system resources...

ronnie_gogs said:
I have been using this add on in firefox since last month and I have to say it has helped me a lot...

What it does is display a colored circle by the side of links and websites in google search displaying the level of security on the site...

I received a facebook messages from friends with links to some sites... and this addon showed the link in red (unsafe) so i never click on such links...

Thanks. will try this plugin
MAGNeT said:
why dont u forward your story to google also......for their reference and blocking the ip

Good suggestion...is there any email address to report these...cannot access gmail/ google from here....will have to do it in the evening.

I Use Mcafee siteAdvisor plugin for IE and FF.

Always use good and update internet security software.

Don't click unknown and attractive links in mail. If you are clicking any link from mail, right click the hyperlink and see the actual link source.

If possible, use onscreen keyboard to type all passwords typing.

S@ndeep said:
Damn... Real bad dude. Those hackers should get proper punishment. :mad:

Unfortunately, they are still safe. I have reported many hackers website to their respective ICANN registrar, but only few got suspended.

DirectI, name.com suspended the domain in few hours only. :hap2:

dude i went through the small edition of what u have faced !
my gmail account was hacked and i was having a 12 digit password!
he didn't do anything wrong rather joined some c**** communities !
i believe that the password should be long as well as complicated !

ronnie_gogs said:

Thanks mate:eek:hyeah:

Back