Monitors My First LCD Monitor !

So I'm finally planning to get a LCD monitor by this month-end..
been using my Samsung 15" crt for 7yrs..it's from my first ever HCL sys.
Prob. is the display is a lil blurr'd now..

I have the 17" Samsung 740N on my mind..
it's won the 'Best Buy' title at PC World India & is well review'd by everyone..

So shall I go with the 740N or is there a better 17"(or 19" ??) for max 9k.??
the viewsonic 19" ones are available for the same price but they ain't reliable & service questionable..

have a look at ma sig & u'll notice the only thing missing is gfx card..i've never had one ! had good enuf onboard graphics all the time..

so the best monitor for 9k?
- stylish
- long-lasting & reliable (intend to use it for many yrs)
- 8ms response min.
- Analog (and DVI if pssble)input

Thnx

~ T.T.M

Samsung 740N(TN panel) is fine but is not widescreen(widescreen will give you extra resolution and screen space) and has only analog no dvi... for 9K there is a Viewsonic 19" WS but dunno which model..

you get dell 19" widescreens for 9.5k nd 10.5k... go for them,., if ur good at haggling u could knock off another .5-1k...

give them a shot..

broar94 said:
Samsung 740N(TN panel) is fine but is not widescreen(widescreen will give you extra resolution and screen space) and has only analog no dvi... for 9K there is a Viewsonic 19" WS but dunno which model..

1.well i don't have a gfx card nor am i plannin to get one anytime soon..
so a analog will do but somethin with both options will be welcomed.
(err..doesn a gfx card come with a analog port too?not sure..)
2.well i'm not that intent on WS..

analog = better quality signal.

widescreen = superb movie watching experience + not too much more than non-widescreen(pricewise..)

sTALKEr said:
analog = better quality signal.
widescreen = superb movie watching experience + not too much more than non-widescreen(pricewise..)

LOL what rubbish... analog connection on an LCD is always a compromise.

some quotes from the web..

Yes i agree 17" are better value for money than 19" as you get the same resolution

19'' monitors always have the same resolution (1280x1024) as 17'' monitors, so you get the same number of pixels covering more space so the picture in a 17'' will be smaller but sharper. I don't think 19'' monitors are a good idea although that's a personal opinion.

so i kinda prefer 17"..

any idea bout Dell 17" ones ? cost ,performance ?

Nowadays there is very little cost diff between 17 & 19". Also if you buy a 17", later on you are likely to regret having not chosen a 19".

janitha said:
Nowadays there is very little cost diff between 17 & 19". Also if you buy a 17", later on you are likely to regret having not chosen a 19".
True..but i don't have a lot of space at my disposal..
a 17" may fit in correctly,,
but is there a really good 19" lcd for 9.5k max???budget is another constraint..

The widescreen works out to be much better imo , take a look at them side by side if possible and then make a decision ... if you want to stick with samsung get the samsung 940bw(dunno about the price though) else save up and get the dell

audiophile2rock said:
if u add 1k that will a lot more value to that 9.5k:cool2:

using a 15" crt for 7 yrs..a 17" lcd would defn. make a gr8 diffrnce and thats all i need..

so i'd appreciate it if the focus is brought back to 17" monitors and which among them is the best..

might as well buy a good 17" than to compromise with a entry model(basic) 19"

There really isn't any "good" 17". The quality is basically the same as any 19". And a 19" doesn't suffer because it has the same resolution.

A widescreen definitely is better. Not just for watching movies, it helps make a better overall PC experience. Do try to squeeze in a little extra for a 19" WS. It'll just be 1-2K more than your budget, and if you use this monitor for another 7yrs, you'll surely be glad you spent that much. :D

There really isn't any "good" 17"

Samsung 740N ?

A widescreen definitely is better. Not just for watching movies, it helps make a better overall PC experience. Do try to squeeze in a little extra for a 19" WS. It'll just be 1-2K more than your budget, and if you use this monitor for another 7yrs, you'll surely be glad you spent that much.

well let's see..

and could someone plz be specific about the available models(recommended one) & their current prices ?

Back