OC & Modding My Opteron Temperatures messed up

whateve_r

Disciple
I have got a Hyper6 Cooler master HSF, the problem is it cant control the temperatures. Right now i am at 2.475 @ 1.45Vcore. My Idle temperature is at 38C most of time and when AC on its 31C-33C. Well apart from that i also would like to ask shouldnt it control my temperatures ?

At load temperature explodes to 58C-62C, i mean to say shouldnt it control my temperature ? I have reinstalled the Heat Sink 3 times and have applied a thin layer of thermal paste as suggested by Rave. The Ironic thing is "at defaults" on doing a stress test in 1 hour the test fails. I had my AC on and room temperature was somewhere arounf 24C and my proccy temperature was at 65C.

Is something wrong with my HSF ? I have a 500Watt Powersafe PSU. I think it can handle atleast 2.4. Ram i have brought back to default speeds. I know i have installed the Heat Sink Fan properly and done everything right then whats the problem ?

I have seen pics of Switch's stress test at 2.9 and even then his temp did not cross 36C, so did Vun's never cross 41C. Should i get a new HSF ? All i want to know is if its my HSF then which other new one should i get which i can atleast control the temp at 50C at max. Please help as you did with my jerky gameplay issue.:please:

Thanks in advance:hap2:

Idle

Load

If i have a 120MM fan blowing air at 4500RPM at proccy help ?

P.S Computer is stable till now has not crashed once, its just that CPU can handle till 60C but i cant see it such high temperature.

Well 60 is a tad high... Load temps of 50 is good 55 shd be the max limit... You sure about the mounting of the hsf... Also what fan are you using on that hyper 6... Also sometimes mobo misreports temps... Are you sure the temps reported by the mobo correct... have you given the system the finger test...Is the AC blowing Air directly onto the PC...

Also i did all my testing in winters ... Remember Delhi had the lowest of the temps last winters... So that helped in attaining those temps A LOT... Also mine was a Single core chip... And when it comes to dual core its a totally differnt senario... So dont compare with mine :D...

Answer the above questions and will take it from there...

If i have a 120MM fan blowing air at 4500RPM at proccy help ?

There u go ... ur problem ... rather lets this pull air out from the CPU ... use a different intake fan ... maybe if u have a CPU tower on the side panel of the cabinet ...

Are you using the stock CM fan? That runs at the lowest rpm by default. U need to do a pin mod to get it to work at higher speeds.

Yes i have done the mod, its running at 100% capacity. The thing is i only have 1 80x80 fan in my cabby that is pulling the air out... recently i put a 120MM fan in my cabby that is blowing air at my card. It has great reduced my temperature from 52C to 46C.

I can manage to put more "2" 80MM fans somehow in the cabby but the thing is... i wanted to know if my HSF is faulty or not ? It cant control the temperatures. On load the temperatures explode at 62C+

akS !

Potentially a loose contact. Try reseating the HSF. Did you try arctic silver? There must only be an extremely thin layer of thermal paste.

I have tighten it the most i can, so no question of loose contact. Yes i have applied a very very think layer. I can try again, is their any possibility Heat Sink might have gone Kaput or it cant happen ?

akS !

What board? Touch the HSF and see if its hot when it shows 60 degrees. If its not hot, then its just the mobo misreporting.

Nope the HSF aint hot at all....How hot are we talking about here ? Well i can just feel a faint warm feeling nothin like 60C. Any recommendations on which software i can use to get correct temps. So the stress tests are also failing because of wrong temp reported by mobo ? Mobo is DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

akS !

^^What bios? Try 704-2BT. If stress tests are failing, well that means ur cpu can't do that frequency. You just got a bad stepping thats it.

Sorry i am new to OC and so what does "bad stepping mean". If it means that CPU cant do that frequency then how did Karan manage to do 2.7 ? Should i download 704-2BT and try it ?

akS !

Every CPU is different. My CPU's stepping is CBBID 0501 (AMD 3200+ Winchester).

It is the crappiest stepping known :p Me doing 2.45 stable is miraculous.

But other Winnies like Bottle's and Darky's have gone to 2.7/2.8ghz.

So, oc'ing is not guaranteed.

Stepping is the number/code written on your CPU. It basically gives you all info like year and week of manufacture. And distinguishes between various types of AMD 64s.... like Winnie, Venice, etc

Well i have bought this rig from Karan, he had his settings saved in Bios but i am unable to load from then cause when i do on windows boot i get a blue screen. I think its because of the 270FSB of the memory that is crashing my system. Right now i am on his "clock settings" for ram but at 220 instead of 272 and its 2.45 instead of 2.7 as of Karans.

But still the talk is about Heat Sink over here, i want to know whos the culprit here. My heat sink, psu or something else for the high temps.

One more question, on startup i get "New Hardware Found" always message, Plug and play monitor and SCI/RAID something found messages. Is their anyway i can disable them, very irritating. Thanks again !

akS !

hey try running the orthos version of sp2004 optimised for dual cores testing....thts not ur prob ofcourse but its the way to test for dual cores

hmm.....

1) HSFs dont GO bad.... mounting BIG HSFs is a hard job... and need to be done with expertise..... I had my bad runs of installs too.... temps used to shoot up INSTANTLY. and thats the sure shot signal of a BAD MOUNT... meaning bad HSF contact.....

2) If the HSF feels cool to hand and the STREES test is failing, then SURE as hell the contact is bad....

3) Dont go for BIOS reflash..... I WAS RUNNING THAT EXACT RIG (+ a EXCELLENT PSU) for 4 months STABLE @ 2.7 GHz & 273Mhz on RAM. When you couple a 165 (110W TDP) oced to 2.7ghz and a 7900gt, you can expect huge power requirements. But THAT cant cause HIGH temps in itself....

4) Aks can you give me a close up pic of the mount. If somethign obvious is missing, I will immediately be able to PIN point it.... I used to play with that rig almost every day.....

5) Is the fan installed properly? Remember the tape i had put around it? That was to seal the Openings that are present to ensure 100% of the air goes through the Heatpipe assembly... and tell you what? I didnt even run the fan @ 3100 RPM (not 4500 RPM) .... I installed a fan control utility and ran the CPU-fan at 2000 odd RPM and the temps were more than fine (50 C at MAX w/o AC)

6) I had a Super Lan boy.... that meant 2 BIG 120 mm fans doing intake and outlet (balanced) @ around 80 CFM in a closed case. Maybe that is a factor..... in being able to exhaust the hot air coming from the end of the HSF.

7) The ideal mounting should be:

|
|
|
+
. |------|F
E | |F <---- direction of fan airflow
. | |F
. |------|F
+
|
|
|
|
|
|

where E = case air exhaust.....F = Coolermaster HSF.

8) With AC On, I have done 3d06 Stable (that speaks volume) upto 2.75 Ghz @ 1.58V and 275Mhz on the RAM.... (any remember my 3d05 9.6K+ run?) So 2.45 Ghz SHOULDNT be a issue by a mile.....

I hope I have addressed some of your doubts. Trust me dude.... you have a wonderful rig in your hands.... Just GIVE it the attention it requires..... I am sure ONE silly thing is missing..... A PIC would help a ton.....

Karan

Ok my HSF is firmly attached to the mobo, it isnt moving even slightly which i assume is a good mount. Can i know what other factors determine apart from the firm fit on the mobo that its a bad mount so that i can check them out. My air flow is exactly the way you have shown. Right in front of the Heat Sink where the hot air from the Cooler Master Fan is removed i have a 80X80 fan that takes the air directly out of the cabinet.

What i meant with the 4500RPM was just to check if the proccy CM Fan isnt getting fresh air i kept another 120MM Fan in front of it which was blowing air directly into it...But temperatures were still not controlled. Will get back to you with the Pics of the mounts ASAP. I might try and remount it again right now, i dont have a thermal paste, can i use toothpaste for temp use ?

akS !

whateve_r said:
Ok my HSF is firmly attached to the mobo, it isnt moving even slightly which i assume is a good mount. Can i know what other factors determine apart from the firm fit on the mobo that its a bad mount so that i can check them out. My air flow is exactly the way you have shown. Right in front of the Heat Sink where the hot air from the Cooler Master Fan is removed i have a 80X80 fan that takes the air directly out of the cabinet.

What i meant with the 4500RPM was just to check if the proccy CM Fan isnt getting fresh air i kept another 120MM Fan in front of it which was blowing air directly into it...But temperatures were still not controlled. Will get back to you with the Pics of the mounts ASAP. I might try and remount it again right now, i dont have a thermal paste, can i use toothpaste for temp use ?

akS !

Man the "immediate" difference between best-of-breed AS5 and chepo thermal paste is MAX 2-3 C.... Its only after 100+ hours that the temps drop further in case of AS5 (that happens due to the curing process.)

I cant believe it is reaching 57-62C with ONLY 1.475 V.... very surprised.

If i recall correctly, I was having Mounting problems (that was before I figured out the way to cleanly attach the HSF to the DFI mobo using the custom solutioin that I have given to you.) and had to use the Stock 165 HSF (with Rave now...) and the MAX temps I saw with 1.5V @ 2.5Ghz was 57C on load.

Give pics and we shall see.... and please ensure that the HSF fan is getting ample air to push through the HS.

ttyl.

Back