OC & Modding My Phenom II 560 BE overclock..Does it needs liquid cooling.. Advice!!

hello,
My phenom was acting weird after 6 months of buying it.. temp raises to 67c on 40% load and ultimately its switches off,
so few days back i decided to buy a HSF and a new cabinet with some fans,
After going through the reviews i settled down for CM 212 hyper plus and CM Elite430 cabinet, with three 120 mm CM fans mounted on rear exhaust, front and side panel my idle temp is around 38c,
Today i overclocked my phenom 560BE (3.3Ghz) to 4.1Ghz through the multiplier
[P.S- i am a total Noob in this field] and run the prime95 for around 40 mins and below are the details...

so now my query is:- will i get even low temperature and better overclock on liquid cooling?:S
if yes which is the best one available in 5-6 k range in bangalore or online!?
i came across H70 from corsair available for 4.7k at golchha(b'lore), but i heard that custom made cooling will give better results than H70.. is it true?
Are the custom made components easily available in india? and is it easy enough to assemble it myself or i need professional help.:ashamed:
plz advice..

btw my system specs are-
amd phenomII X2 560 BE (3.3Ghz)
2X2gb transcend 1333Mhz ram
iball 500w psu
hyper 212+ cpu cooler
CM Elite 430 black
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H

thanx for replying... i have tried every possible way to unlock the cores, but system fails to boot and all setting changes to default in the bios automatically, i think my core is faulty.. so i'm looking forward to overclock it with a liquid cooling!!

Yeah your cores might be faulty. Btw are you on the latest bios?

Regarding the liquid cooling, your cooling and oc are very good. Investing in water cooler might not be a vfm choice.

Your OC stats are pretty impressive and since you havent mentioned anything about it, i assume you are running at stock vCore vtg. You can also try Push-Pull configuration with your 212+ by adding another fan at the back of the HS. Should shave off a few more deg from your temperature figures. WC isnt really necessary for you considering your present results.
About the cores, yeah they might be faulty or your Mainboard BIOS might not be the latest one, do check for the same.

But what will definitely be a good idea is to upgrade to a better PSU. Better in the sense to one from a reputed brand like Corsair/Seasonic. Although you dont have a GFX card at the moment, the iBall PSU cant be relied upon so get an excellent one like a Corsair VX450/CX400. Worth every penny you pay for especially with the recent price cuts.

devilsmind said:
btw my system specs are-
amd phenomII X2 560 BE (3.3Ghz)
2X2gb transcend 1333Mhz ram
iball 500w psu
hyper 212+ cpu cooler
CM Elite 430 black
Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H

Everything is fine except for this, iball 500w psu -- if you truly care for your system please change the SMPS to a Gigabyte Superb 460W ~ 1900/- Theitdepot - Gigabyte Superb 460W GE-R460-V1 Power Supply OR FSP Saga II 500W ~ 2500/- Theitdepot - FSP 500W PowerSupply (SAGA II 500), if you want Corsair PSU's get them here -- http://www.techenclave.com/theitwares/corsair-smps-rams-best-prices-158277.html.

that generic PSU can be the issue why your system is going unstable and / or cannot unlock cores. Hope this helps.

@ca50- yes im using the latest bios..

@etrnoMind and ALPHA17 - ya i think i am running on stock vcore voltage.. i changed the multiplier for OC.. for push/pull config i have to get another fan.. will certainly try it,

and i'll be upgrading to a new psu preferably the corsair one in next month..

but guys i really need some info about the liquid cooling (H70) and its comparison to custom made ones!!!

Hmmm... how much time have you got on your hands to tweak the custom built water cooling kits, as well as how much cash to spare? It boils down to these two questions, answer these in detail and then we can give you a low-down on what all options that you have, mostly you'll have to import equipment from the EU OR USA.

SMPS is best option for you to spend your money on now.

but later in that amount CM V6GT or Noctua NH-D14 would be a good option for cooling rather than Corsair H70!

Custom liquid cooling is definitely better but is also more expensive & time consuming to set it up & tweak it.

@Alpha- well time is not a factor for me.. but what i was thinking..is it easy enough to make the custom build myself or should i need some professional help.

i can spend upto 9-10k at the highest, if the budget goes up then i'd settle for H70.

A D14 or even a V6GT would perform on par or better than the H70.

4.1G at stock is pretty bloody awesome.

I'z wantz your chipz... :(

And for 9-10K, I think you can import a RX240/RS240 of XSPC Rasa 750, not sure though.

Back