Storage Solutions My views on problems with HDD's

yashvisent

Disciple
Been through many threads having problems with storage solutions and then RMA woes. Now I wonder as why do these HDD crash so frequently, are we using it wrongly or are there any manufacturing faults or technology faults.

I have had many HDD failures and RMA issues. Each one of my cakes have been RMA'ed at least once. Most important is the data loss, it hurts bad.

I guess that there is no reliability in HDD's that's the reason the companies offering 3 yr / 5 yr warranty.

I guess we should have some solution or some step should be taken to make them reliable rather than cheaper. As every time the HDD blows some or the other data is lost. I end up ½ the time taking backups and maintaining them on DVD's and again records of DVD's.

For me the HDD is just a medium for accessing the information and has no reliability.

I know there are many people there who can swear by their hdd's but again there are equal number of failures.

Cooling and good ventilation is one of the issues identified by me that keeps the HDD's going good. Constant and stable power (or a reliable power supply) another.

Guys please comment and give your inputs

mee too waiting desperately for them. but this cycle continues i converted all the data from CD's to DVD's and now will spend time doing so from DVD's to BDR's but atleast optical media is quite reliable if purchased .goo branded products.

have you guys seen how the shop boys handle these delicate products?

i have seen them throwing LCD displays onto their goods vehicle & when they move it to their shop, again they throw it down. (richie street, chennai)

i think 1st, you should buy it from a shop where the people know what they sell & 2nd LUCK :p
thats why i prefer shops like Delta Peripherals, Chennai & Aashirvaad Computers, B'lore. :D

yashvisent said:
mee too waiting desperately for them. but this cycle continues i converted all the data from CD's to DVD's and now will spend time doing so from DVD's to BDR's but atleast optical media is quite reliable if purchased .goo branded products.
Indeed... I had spend ~30k only on storage since I started out with computers. I am sure many had spent much more than me... :(

I use to use a lot of CD's but got fed up with so little space & moved to DVD's. Now I am again fed up with them & don't burn them much.. have ~200 blank verbs & ~65 DL verbs... I know even BD-R's will not be sufficient. Lets hope somebody pioneers holographic storage soon & bring it for masses......

I really hope blue ray discs and writers come down in price soon. Even though I have an external hd, I worry I may lose my important data. I think it's better to buy 2 external hdrives of different companies (like 2 320gb) instead of 1 500gb drive.That's what I'm going to do.

Just my thoughts.

HailStonE said:
Indeed... I had spend ~30k only on storage since I started out with computers. I am sure many had spent much more than me... :(

I use to use a lot of CD's but got fed up with so little space & moved to DVD's. Now I am again fed up with them & don't burn them much.. have ~200 blank verbs & ~65 DL verbs... I know even BD-R's will not be sufficient. Lets hope somebody pioneers holographic storage soon & bring it for masses......

Arent the dvds prone to damage after sometime and use? what do you think is more reliable- dvds or external hard disks? Regarding dvds- how are these DL dvds:national/puma/rainbow?

Back