N73 Joystick fell off

raul

Adept
Hi Guys,

Need some quick advice. The joystick on my 6 month old N73 mysteriously fell off. Luckily I was able to retrieve the top silver button lying on my room floor. With the button off a thin black pin sort of joystick is exposed. I put the button back on but the down push doesn't work anymore. The directions are working but the push down goes either right or left and if you really push it hard may actually function as 'push' but it generally doesn't.

This phone was bought in the UK and Nokia care centre in camp, Pune told me it will cost Rs 3200 to replace the black joystick and Rs 500 for the button. I find this a bit on the higher side though in the absence of alternatives I will have no choice but to pay up. Does anybody on this board know if this is the right price, have any idea about pricing or any other options to resolve this?

Thanks

i think tht since u have not bought it in india, u dont have to worry about warranty..since u dont have any..:p so it doesnt make any sense to take it to nokia care..what they are charging is exorbitant imho..:no: Better take it to a good mobile shop which is reputed in ur area..and try to bargain on the repairing costs...btw, whr r u frm?

This is the reason i hate joysticks on cellphones so much...they are the buggiest thing to ever happen to a cellphone..:p Tht is why i always ask peeps to play safe with the phones having directional keys..they are much better and will not give u any cause of concern..ever..:hap5:

Hi, I'm in Pune, anybody know any good repair shops in Pune they can recommend? I am beginning to agree with you about joysticks though I always felt the joystick on the N73 though loose would never fall off the way it did.

I disagree with you Ryan.... even though Nokia may be charging a wee bit high for the cost...but getting a joystick replaced from a local vendor is a bad idea... the joystick is the most used component of the phone...
So if i were you, i would get it replaced from Nokia itself, though i would make sure that they give me warranty on the joystick that they have replaced...

^^Your point is valid..thts why i said a 'reputed shop'..:) Like here in mumbai, Alpha is famous for its after sales..they even repair the stuff if its out of warranty..they have qualified technicians who repair the stuff..so was thinkin,maybe if he took it to any such reputed shops in his area, he cud prolly get it repaired with genuine nokia spares for less..only thing is he will have to pay less for the actual repair work.. imho, spending 3200+500 on an already expensive (19k :p ) phone is a bit unsettling... ;)

Hi, update on the joystick. The repair for what I thought would be a trivial matter has ended up costing me 5200 bucks. I finally gave it the Nokia Care at Camp, Pune, this is Tirupati Telecom, an authorized Nokia care centre. Initially they told me they would replace the joystick unit and it would cost 3200 total. When I went to pick it up they informed me that the joystick change did not solve the problem and they would need to change the n73 keypad membrane unit which comes with a joystick unit (see part image in link below) and this would cost Rs 5200! Needless to say I found it outrageous for the joystick unit to cost 25% of the phone cost, I mean whole phones cost less. But I needed the phone to work and didn't have a choice but to pay up. The new joystick works but is bent at an angle and there are deep scratch and damage marks all over the body joint where it was opened. This is really shoddy work and I am not amused. I shot off a mail to Nokia support and there has been no response 2 weeks later, the call centre was not helpful either.

After some research online i found the part at cnn.cn

Cellular Accessories - SonyEricsson, NEC, Motorola, Nokia, Panasonic, Sanyo and Samsung. Quality housing, keypads, LCD screens, chargers, batteries, data cables, parts

and it costs $24, these guys are reputed for original Nokia OEM parts. So why hould it be 5200 here, even after allowing for Nokia original parts?

Really not happy with Nokia support and costs.

raul said:
The repair for what I thought would be a trivial matter has ended up costing me 5200 bucks.

:O :O

The new joystick works but is bent at an angle and there are deep scratch and damage marks all over the body joint where it was opened.

Thts too sad man....well, thts why i told u, tht nokia priority or no priority..these fcukers are all the same...taking it to priority doesnt mean tht they'll do it any better than other qualified shops...n hell, their charges are just exorbitant...:no: if u had bought it in india, with bill, then i wud have surely suggested u to take it to priority...

I think, when i was in pune, there was this shop called Telephone Shoppee which was really very famous...they used to be very reliable....u cud have even tried them before taking it to priority...

Neways, if its in a bad shape, i suggest u sell it to someone u know, n get a new one with bill...tht way, u'll be insured against such problems...atleast for the warranty period...afterall, some warranty is better than nothing...:p

yup nokia dealers are idiot..they sell 200 rupees usb wire for 1100...jus looting ppl..get a nokia franchisee and be anil ambani in few years

How roughly do you use your joystick?Or are they just weak?
Asking this cause I just bought the N73 couple of days back and I'm a bit concerned:(

Not very roughly at all. The thing to watch out for is if you put it in your jeans pocket, in my case I suspect the joystick button fell off when I removed it from my pocket. Regular use is unlikely to cause it to fall off.

Back