N8 in Shining Armour!

Let me clarify this. It does not play mkv.
It can decode AVC/H264 but not within the mkv container.

however, oddly enough, In some mkv files I can see the thumbnail of the video. :S

dhruvrock2000 said:
Not very good quality but you should be able to make it out.... i'll be redoing this on a better cam later though.
Interesting video there. Definitely looks much faster than the S60s out there - atleast my 5800XM. There does seem to be a slight lag in some cases, however, with so many applications open it is hard to tell whether it is that or the OS' inherent nature. Very useful though. I am surprised at the size of the phone - smaller than what I had expected looking it at the website.

Yes and No

Here... made a video for it. Much clearer this time :)

mkv does work but it is a hit and miss, if it supports the codec inside the container format then the video will play... else it plays the audio as you will see in the video.

1) Err.. What is this that i been hearing (reading) .. One cannot swap the battery on his own ?

i mean something like iphone stunt deployed here ..??

2) How is the phone OS wise..?

i can understand that the hardware is what is gonna save Nokia from being whopped for sure, but what abt the s.w side ..?

speed while switching screens/apps, image saving time, video rendering time, mem card access time, refreshing of music playlist etc .. ??

^^ Check the videos. More coming soon. Darn fast phone if i might say so..... Image saving time is negligible. I'll video it n show it to you :)

There are 2 screws on the side. Open and them and the battery pops out. So once again , yes and no to question 1. Yes for savvy users , no for others.

Spacescreamer said:
1) Err.. What is this that i been hearing (reading) .. One cannot swap the battery on his own ?

i mean something like iphone stunt deployed here ..??

2) How is the phone OS wise..?

i can understand that the hardware is what is gonna save Nokia from being whopped for sure, but what abt the s.w side ..?

speed while switching screens/apps, image saving time, video rendering time, mem card access time, refreshing of music playlist etc .. ??
1 - Yup you heard it right, battery cannot be removed by the user, although there is an article on gsmarena that the phone has a 1400mAh 'unsoldered' battery.

My first reaction to that was, what if the phone hangs! and to solve this, there is a soft reset where holding the power button for 8 seconds resets the phone.

2 - The OS is pretty slick, some may be dissappointed by the same icons and menus as the older symbian but im sure there are folks there who will create themes and stuff for S3.

Its really fast, just microsecond lags between some transitions, image saving time is quick, maybe 1-2 seconds I guess. Everything else works really fast, the maps are quite slow though.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

About the mkv, as dhruvrock2000 said only the audio played no video!

About the Xenon flash - It works amazingly, takes pretty good pictures in pitch dark!

@ dhruv + Orangewrath

Thanks for the bit by bit replies. Appreciated.

Should get my hands on the N8 in cpl of day's time. The stupid blu color one.. (personal pov)

Then i got to try out like crunch time. Will see if the pitch dark pics are bleeding any colors or not. XT720 was pretty slick and satin feel on the battery side was good touch. This one seems a bit bulky for the few mins i had it, only got to see how the cam works in comparison to 8 mp of XT 720 and ofc the vid capture.

Feel of the phone was more of a bulk than solid.

Pics cropped in 16:9 on the phone itself. No other changes at all.

Night pic, without Xenon

5093168631_b94c013cb9.jpg

Same pic WITH Xenon

5093799044_a56645d329.jpg

Quite a HUGE difference , eh :)

Dhruv I sent you a pm some time ago, I hope you can reply. Judging by comments from other users on the internet N8 doesn't support flash 10.1 and thus all live video streaming sites like justin and ustream show flash missing error. Can you confirm this?

Back