Nano survives the washing machine

tracerbullet

Skilled
Yeh
haha, this is hilarious. And I thought running a car over it was madness.

Just about three weeks ago I posted a review of my new favorite gadget, the iPod nano. In that review I called the device, "The coolest thing I own bar none" and that wasn't an exaggeration or another way of saying that I don't own cool things. Well I'm sad to report that my nano had accidently had a run-in with the washing machine on Saturday morning. Read on for details and photos.

The nano is light enough that it turns out you can't really tell when it's in a shirt pocket and when it's not. On this Saturday morning it was, and unfortunately the shirt was in the washer. I got ahold of it after about a minute in the dryer, so the little white contraption had already experienced a warm wash, cool rinse and exciting spin cycle. It was non-responsive and if I was an ER doctor the nano would have been pronounced dead.

Surprisingly (I guess this is where the spin cycle helps) the unit itself wasn't too wet. I dried it off and after a while plugged it in. It didn't mount--my hope that only the screen had been nuked wasn't panning out. But after several minutes I saw the battery icon on the screen and that lifted my spirits. After another wait, probably about 30-40 minutes, the backlight kicked on and the nano mounted in iTunes and on my desktop. The screen definitely has some problems (see photos), but I'm hopeful that with continued drying it will improve. Errant clicks that came from moisture under the clickwheel have stopped.

Interestingly enough, when photos are on the screen you can hardly see any defects. Well, at least when looking head on. At an angle, there is a dark splotch similar to what is shown in one of the photos below.

After waiting another day, the nano dried completely and at this time you can't even tell it ever got wet (and soaped up, spun etc). The screen now looks perfect. Very impressive!

linque

solid state devices are typically quite sturdy....

I once walked into the sea with my old samsung c-100 cellphone in my shorts' pocket...after a 20 minute dip, I realized it was in my pocket all the while....

I was almost sure it would dead but for some reason, I dismantled it, dipped the board for a good wwash in Absolute Alcohol after taking the display off...screwed everything back in, and it works...though the display took a few days to come back to normal...

Even my nokia 3650 had become wet in the 26/7 Rains and after 1 month it
started funtioning properly.

2-3 days it didnt even start
after a week it started but shut down immediately
then next week it started working but the loud speaker was not working
after one month its working perfect.

Well, ive not had water hazards, but i have dropped my n-gage from quite some heights :p.

Dropped it from a height of the 2nd floor of the building onto Concrete...

I still worked !_!.

Back