Audio Need 2.0 Speaker Recommendation

whatsinaname

Skilled
I would greatly appreciate any help in finding a decent 2.0 system to hook up directly to my computer.

Most of the time the speakers will be used for music. (Classic Rock, Indie, Some Electronic. Not very bass centric, Mids and Highs are more important). The rest of the time will be gaming and movies of course.

I am moving from a Swans M10 2.1 system as suddenly (ok, not suddenly, getting a new monitor :p), space is at a premium on my desk. So the speakers should not be very large either.

Budget is around 200$, and I can purchase the speakers from any website. (Amazon, Newegg, Audioinsider, etc)

Thanks

AE2's have pathetic build quality issues.

At $200 you don't have too many monitors nor powered speakers.

Spend 20k or $300+(if you stay in USA) on AE5.

However, my first vote goes to Swans MKIII which cost $400 and are much better than the AE5's, they are easily worth $500-600 if not much much more.

Ya, in India they come in a pair.

In USA, it costs like $150 or so each. so I guess that turns out to be like 20-22k or so shipped to India, maybe 24-25k maxed out.

rite said:
AE2's have pathetic build quality issues.

At $200 you don't have too many monitors nor powered speakers.

Spend 20k or $300+(if you stay in USA) on AE5.

However, my first vote goes to Swans MKIII which cost $400 and are much better than the AE5's, they are easily worth $500-600 if not much much more.
I am a bit skeptical about the AE2 as well. Have seen too many mentions of build quality issues. And I don't think the sound is a huge step up from my current setup. (Which I bought for 140$). Was hoping to find something better for 200$. I spent too much on my monitor and I don't think I want to spend 300+ on speakers right now. (And considering that I have to find a buyer for my current speakers.) Thank you for your input though.

Ok, it does look like I have to up my budget by a bit.

How do active monitors in this price range compare to something like the WAF-1 (passive) with the Dayton DTA 100a amp?

Most active monitors do not have a volume knob. I guess I'll have to get something like the SM Pro Nano Patch passive volume controller?

Will any of this matter if the source is just the on-board sound card on my motherboard?

Back