Storage Solutions Need 2.5' 500GB SATA HDD

dpacmittal

Disciple
I want to buy a 500GB Sata 2.5" HDD. I prefer Hitachi for its low failure rate. I am currently using 160GB Hitachi which is working perfect for me. I want to make the current one as a portable HDD and use the 500GB as the main HDD.

Well, I am currently staying at bangalore. I've just moved here from Nepal, so I've no idea about good shops.

There I'd like to know the price of the HDD, the shop which will offer the best service (guarantee?) and best price.

I'd also like to know how do I move all my data from the current drive to the newer one. I've got a dual boot with windows xp and ubuntu.

Thanks

WD Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400rpm? Hit the S.P Road and you'll find computer dealers across the street. Enquire the prices and buy one which has the cheapest offer. Alternately, you may ask a Regd. Dealer in our forums who retails these drives, to list it on eBay and get it home delivered cheaper using a coupon code.

The warranty for hard drives are handled through their respective service centres mentioned on their websites. The dealer has nothing to do with the warranty.

As for Hitachi drives, their service is handled by the dealer directly IINM and there's no such thing as a low failure rate for Hitachi drives. Any drive's prone to failure subject to a lot of conditions. Not much idea on Hitachi drives.

Lastly, to transfer the data, the cheapest solution may be to get yourself/lend a SATA to a USB converter since your laptop may not have an additional SATA port.

lestat said:
Check Master Hardware contacts list in PC Peripherals.

No avail.

Gannu said:
WD Scorpio Blue 500GB 5400rpm? Hit the S.P Road and you'll find computer dealers across the street. Enquire the prices and buy one which has the cheapest offer. Alternately, you may ask a Regd. Dealer in our forums who retails these drives, to list it on eBay and get it home delivered cheaper using a coupon code.

The warranty for hard drives are handled through their respective service centres mentioned on their websites. The dealer has nothing to do with the warranty.

As for Hitachi drives, their service is handled by the dealer directly IINM and there's no such thing as a low failure rate for Hitachi drives. Any drive's prone to failure subject to a lot of conditions. Not much idea on Hitachi drives.

Lastly, to transfer the data, the cheapest solution may be to get yourself/lend a SATA to a USB converter since your laptop may not have an additional SATA port.

My experience with hitachi has been great.
And read the reviews here:
Customer Reviews Of HITACHI Travelstar 5K500.B HTS545050B9A300 (0A57915) 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks for the location of the store. :)

Back