Need 40" LCD advice : Urgent

utmarch

Disciple
Q1) Need a 40" LCD TV within a budget of 45 k. Looking for a TV which can play all formats through usb.

I have shortlisted Samsung LCD-LA40D550K1R with a quote of 45k . I'm getting Sony CX 420 for 43k but I have heard that it has issues playing mkv format. Other than these two I would like to know what options are available in LG & whether it is able to play all formats.

I have to purchase it either today or tomorrow as prices will go up slightly from 1st April.

Q2) Please suggest a digital media player for playing movies through usb within a reasonable budget.

Thank You

if you are getting the Sony 40" CX420 for a price lesser than samsung, get the sony.

regarding issues there are only some mkv encodes which the sony wont play.

though samsung play all formats it wont be deal breaker.

the picture reproduction will be neutral for sony whereas for the samsung it will be vibrant.

a dedicated digital media player is better anyways .

the starting range is 3.5k for the asus mini O-play.

Thanks for your reply. I'm leaning towards the Sony option . I just read about the panel lottery in Samsung. My brother has a UA40D5500RR Samsung led. I just checked the panel (TYPE - 40L6UFOE) & it is a[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][background=rgb(245, 245, 255)] A-MVA3 panel from AUO.[/background][/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][background=rgb(245, 245, 255)]Do Sony have a panel issue ? Also please suggest a LG model as they can also play all formats from what I have heard.[/background][/font]

the sony and the similar LG ones LK430/450 have similar playback capabilities.

it where samsung excels. it plays any and all format thrown at it.

for the price difference better get a sony cx420 and a 3.5k worth HD digital media player.

atleast you would not have to bear the panel lottery.

also you can opt for additional waranty from sony where this option is not available with the samsung TVs. (read : Company Warranty not third party)

I had gone to the showroom & Sony bx420 will be available in a couple of days . Then I visited the Samsung showroom to find the panel no. for [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]LA40D550K[/font]. It is a HNO1 panel.

Can anyone confirm which panel is HNO1 version?

HNO1 is the panel i have seen in the 40D550 in all my visits to various showroom in 2 different cities.Its a SMVA panel made by CMO or chilin.

I had gone to the showroom & Sony bx420 will be available in a couple of days . Then I visited the Samsung showroom to find the panel no. for [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]LA40D550K[/font]. It is a HNO1 panel.

Can anyone confirm which panel is HNO1 version?

check upon for the CX420 range and not the bx420 range for comparable performance on USB with the samsung tvs

HNO1 is the panel i have seen in the 40D550 in all my visits to various showroom in 2 different cities.Its a SMVA panel made by CMO or chilin.

SMVA panels don't have the best reputation, Can you comment about the PQ of the 40D550 model ? On searching panelbook I found few entries with HN01 panel - http://www.panelook....1&submit=Search

check upon for the CX420 range and not the bx420 range for comparable performance on USB with the samsung tvs

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Unfortunately both the Sony models are unavailable at the moment & as I live in a small city it will take few days for them to arrive at the local showroom. I'll go with your advice about buying the Asus mini player so usb functionality doesn't matter that much if I buy the Sony model.. My brother has a Samsung D5500 LED & we also have a 4 year old 46'' Sony LCD. There is marginal difference in their PQ in my opinion.. Samsung is a bit more vibrant while Sony has balanced color. I was leaning a bit towards the Samsung 40d550 because it plays all formats, also it has HDMI x 4 while Sony has 2 (both in rear). What makes the decision complicated is the performance & durability of HN01 panel in Samsung. I'll have to ask from other owners regarding the PQ & other quality issues regarding Samsung 40d550.[/font]

HN01 is samsung code found in a sticker behind the tv and not be confused with model number of panels.

It does lack in black levels and also has a higher contrast shift when looked from the sides.

You can also look at the D5000/d5500 range its priced similar to D550 if you buy it from the grey market ,the come with a better AMVA panel which is still inferior to SPVA,but shouldn't be a deal breaker imo

You can also get the Sony CX520 in grey for around 40k or less which comes with a SPVA panel ,but doesn't play the formats which samsung play via usb.

I have the d5500 which is in my brother's room . Its panel is [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]40L6UFOE (AMVA - AC02). For the current purchase my budget is restricted to 45k & I'm not too keen on grey market but I'll have a look on ebay.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks for feedback on D550.[/font]

Back