Storage Solutions Need a 4TB Backup Drive

Sorry to hijack the thread but I need a 4 TB backup drive.My main concern is the reliability of the drive.I will be mirroring my existing external HDDs to this 4 TB drive.

https://paytm.com/shop/g/electronics/computers-accessories/computer-components/internal-hdd?src=COMPS1&capacity_filter=4 tb

Out of all these is the WD 4 TB Red NAS drive a good option ?

Actually, I would not recommend to pick one from sites such as paytm or etc - the majority of them surely don't do good packing. There was a 4TB USB3 Seagate for 10.5K on Amazon.

Actually, I would not recommend to pick one from sites such as paytm or etc - the majority of them surely don't do good packing. There was a 4TB USB3 Seagate for 10.5K on Amazon.
Cancelled the order as I am always pretty anxious about storage gear shipped by online retailers and your feedback about paytm soured the deal for me.

The WD Red NAS drive is 13,196 INR on amazon sold by Cloudtail which is one of the best sellers in my experience on amazon.Is the hard drive choice okay for my purpose or are there any better options in that price range?

http://www.amazon.in/Drives-WD40EFR...F8&qid=1452162862&sr=1-1&keywords=4+tb+wd+red

Cancelled the order as I am always pretty anxious about storage gear shipped by online retailers and your feedback about paytm soured the deal for me.

The WD Red NAS drive is 13,196 INR on amazon sold by Cloudtail which is one of the best sellers in my experience on amazon.Is the hard drive choice okay for my purpose or are there any better options in that price range?

http://www.amazon.in/Drives-WD40EFR...F8&qid=1452162862&sr=1-1&keywords=4+tb+wd+red

Actually, unless you are running the system 24x7, I would not recommend a NAS drive. You can do with a Green or Purple as well. Infact, get a Seagate external HDD, and use the Seagate software to do backups.

Actually, unless you are running the system 24x7, I would not recommend a NAS drive. You can do with a Green or Purple as well. Infact, get a Seagate external HDD, and use the Seagate software to do backups.

My download rig runs for almost 12 hours every day at an average.:p

I have my entire collection on 2 2 TB external HDDs(both WD My Passport Ultras).But recently I lost 2 Seagate HDDs (1TB and 500 GB) and so I am icky about mirroring my stuff on external HDDs.

Also I need a 4 TB HDD so that I can mirror both HDDs in a single location using Beyond Compare.I was thinking about the My Cloud 4 TB but I don't need a heavy NAS sitting on my desk(which is already cluttered with my Gaming PC ,Download rig,printer,xbox) when the purpose can be served by existing PCs.

Last edited:
My download rig runs for almost 12 hours every day at an average.:p

I have my entire collection on 2 2 TB external HDDs(both WD My Passport Ultras).But recently I lost 2 Seagate HDDs (1TB and 500 GB) and so I am icky about mirroring my stuff on external HDDs.

Also I need a 4 TB HDD so that I can mirror both HDDs in a single location using Beyond Compare.I was thinking about the My Cloud 4 TB but I don't need a heavy NAS sitting on my desk(which is already cluttered with my Gaming PC ,Download rig,printer,xbox) when the purpose can be served by existing PCs.

In that case, the 4TB is a good buy. However, if you can, I would recommend setting up a small NAS with RAID5/RAID1 which will run 24x7 as well.

Nothing can be guaranteed these days. One of my older 3TB Seagate External drives was gonna cross it's warranty period. So I ordered a WD 4TB My Book and copied over everything from the older drive. Guess what. The new drive conked off within a week and with it took all my TV Series collection. The older drive is still going on strong while I sold off the replacement WD I got back after RMA.

After that I have stopped storing stuff. My older drives are gonna remain with me but I am not gonna buy any new ones to make a collection. I just watch and delete stuff once my laptop HDD fills up.

Nothing can be guaranteed these days. One of my older 3TB Seagate External drives was gonna cross it's warranty period. So I ordered a WD 4TB My Book and copied over everything from the older drive. Guess what. The new drive conked off within a week and with it took all my TV Series collection. The older drive is still going on strong while I sold off the replacement WD I got back after RMA.

After that I have stopped storing stuff. My older drives are gonna remain with me but I am not gonna buy any new ones to make a collection. I just watch and delete stuff once my laptop HDD fills up.
Read up on the WD My Book and I think it has a WD Green drive which are not very reliable.
Anyways I got a 4 TB WD Red NAS@12600 locally(cheaper than amazon/FK/Paytm LOL).It was the only piece in Kolkata with the distributor

In that case, the 4TB is a good buy. However, if you can, I would recommend setting up a small NAS with RAID5/RAID1 which will run 24x7 as well.

I read up on that route also.
It would need a minimum investment of 12-14k(without the HDDs for a decent 2 bay model) and would take up space also.
I decided to go the normal PC HDD route as my download rig runs all the time during the day when I am at home.

Back