Need a android phone in 15k

star89

Disciple
1. Q: Budget?
A: 15k(may increase by 2-3k in necessary)

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: TFT

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Would not prefer Motorola phones,had two moto phones in the past and it sucks.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash.

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: Wifi ,Bluetooth

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, internet ,a little gaming ,watching videos(preferably HD videos) and listening music.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: had looked for Samsung galaxy ace ....it seems nice.

Please suggest .......thanks in advance :)

Since you do not like Moto phones, your options are:

1. Xperia Mini/Mini Pro (as DA stated above) @ 13k/14.8k

Advantages: Excellent CPU + GPU, Gingerbread out of box.

Disadvantage: Screen is too small

2. Extend by 4k and get Samsung Galaxy S @ 19k (letsbuy.com 20k - 1k using RCOMLB1)

Advantages: Excellent screen, CPU + GPU.

Disadvantages: No more updates after GB, no cam flash

3. Spice Mi-410 @ 13k

Advantage: Excellent VFM.

Disadvantages: Many small issues, for more info, go and read this phone's thread (Also, no more updates after GB)

4. Extend by 4-5k and get Nexus S @ 19-20k

Advantages: Stock Android, will get updates fastest

Disadvantages: Availability, no SAMOLED screen, out of budget probably.

But if you want to consider Motorola Defy @ 14-14.4k, here are its advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages: VFM, rugged, compact.

Disadvantages: GPU is weaker than all of the above phones, so future games (even some current games) may lag, SAR rating (not important IMO), no more updates after Froyo.

No LG optimus one as it doesn't have a good camera as stated by Dark angel.

@rhlravi : from your suggestions I could only get to Samsung galaxy S ,but what are your views over Galaxy ace?
And also as Galaxy R would be coming in the market soon..........read somewhere that it could fall in the price range of around 20k.......would it be a better option if priced at 20k?

Sorry forgot to mention this but I I want the screen to be strong enough to be able to tolerate a few falls :S (gorilla display would be good )......

^Nope Galaxy R is a dual core phone and so it will cost more than the Galaxy S i9000.

The Ace though has an excellent 5MP camera still has the MSM7227-T 800MHz at its core and Adreno 200 GPU. Its the same SOC as the LG O1 P500 but clocked higher.

What you lose is that the MSM7227 supports only ARMv6 instruction set and is couple of generations old. So it doesnt have native flash support. Also the Adreno 200 is delivers just half of that of a Defy's GPU and even lesser compared to the Adreno 205.

Also the screen is only HVGA. So the ppi is low for a 3.5" screen.

But camera is your main priority then the Galaxy Ace will satisfy your needs. But ideally it should have been priced in the ~10k-11k for the h/w it has. There are much better android phone in the 15k than the Ace.

I would suggest you get the Galaxy S i9000 by increasing your budget a bit(3.8k). It has the best single core SOC. The PowerVR SGX 540 is a very potent GPU and the phone also has a Wolfsan DAC and among the best audio mobiles.

Then there is this small addition of a vibrant SAMOLED screen and gorilla glass :)

star89 said:
@rhlravi : from your suggestions I could only get to Samsung galaxy S ,but what are your views over Galaxy ace?
And also as Galaxy R would be coming in the market soon..........read somewhere that it could fall in the price range of around 20k.......would it be a better option if priced at 20k?

Sorry forgot to mention this but I I want the screen to be strong enough to be able to tolerate a few falls :S (gorilla display would be good )......

The Galaxy Ace has a good cam, but offers poor VFM. It has specs expected from a 11-12k phone(as DA said) like 320x480 screen res., Qualcomm MSM7227 + Adreno 200. All other phones offer better hardware while costing only a bit more,(or maybe costing the same, like Xperia mini, Mi-410 and Defy). So it is not a bad phone, but priced badly. And about the Galaxy R, we will only know the price when it is launched and it is possible that it may take a while to come to India and its launch price may not be competitive. So, if you can wait till it launches, you can see if it is in your budget(though there is no way it will be below 20k). But if you are in a hurry, you can leave it out.

@rhlravi:

Good posting. Very nice information provided.

@OP:

In the list provided by rhlravi, I would absolutely recommend you to buy Motorola Defy considering your budget because I do not know if you will or want to stretch your budget. If you can and will, then Nexus S is my other option because of first update to ICS and other fast updates straight from Google. I will add one more phones to already good list provided by rhlravi:

1) Huawei X5

Specs - Huawei U8800 IDEOS X5 - Full phone specifications

Price - Rs 14,307

Reason to consider this phone:

a) MSM7X30 processor with Adrenos 205. While this processor is rated at 800 Mhz, it is faster and also excellent for gaming thanks to Adrenos 205

b) 5 MP camera with LED Flash which helps provide decent shots.

c) Dolby Mobile sound enhancement

d) 720p video recording

e) Finger print resistance surface, 3.8 inch capacitive LCD screen with 16M colors.

comp@ddict said:
This is one hell of an important rating buddy.

No bro, i take it that you have not read the following article:

Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) For Cell Phones: What It Means For You | FCC.gov

All phones in the market (the branded ones at least) have an SAR value below the permissible limit, and the permissible limit is much lesser than the value at which radiation is known to cause damage.

@aradhakar84, I agree that the Ideos X5 is an option in his budget but since the Spice Mi-410 is a rebranded Ideos X6 (an upgraded version of X5), which actually comes at a lower price along with Spice's service, i did not include it. :)

EDIT : It seems that the X5 is not a complete upgrade to the X6, but has slight advantages (like slightly larger battery and newer bluetooth version) and some disadvantages(like smaller screen and slower procy, more significant IMO), but still not worth the extra over the X6 (Mi-410).

^^^ You are right. But sometimes when I recommend Spice to other members saying that it is an rebrand of X6 they are still put off by Spice branding. Because regardless of rebranding, Spice is responsible for A.S.S and this does not impress considering its reputation.

@rhlravi
I could wait for it but not sure about its pricing as you said it wont be below 20k so out of the question.......well I think in that case only nexus S or Galaxy S are left and I'd to increase my budget but do u think that it would be justified?
And it seems awkward to have galaxy S which has a high end camera but does not have a LED flash.
I'd gone through two Samsung Nexus S..which one do u recommend
Samsung Google Nexus S I9020A - Full phone specifications
or
Samsung Google Nexus S - Full phone specifications
You said that Nexus S does not have SAMOLED screen but here on GSMArena its showing it does have SAMOLED screen.
Also I want to know whether it would be robust or not I mean that whether it could tolerate a few falls or not?

@aradhakr84
Huawei X5 looks a decent phone but I dont have any knowledge about its reliability and service. Also , I do want the phone to be robust.As I am not very careful with them ,it could happen that the phone would fall sometimes from my hands....would that be acceptable....I mean can it tolerate that...

@star89:

Any phone with a decent case should be able to withstand dropping from heights. I dropped my phones several times on hard floor and also carpet. But with otter cases, I have never damaged or scuffed my phone.

Huawei X5 is decently built so it should tolerate the fall at little heights. If you want something that withstands higher fall or other occasional accidents, then you have to go for Defy or Defy plus. If I was you and if I have time then I would wait for defy plus to see the price. Because Defy plus comes with Gingerbread and 1 ghz processor out of the box.

Now given your requirements of occasional gaming, HD videos, music, internet and decent camera. I can say you will not go wrong with Spice Mi-410, Huawei X5 as they fall under your budget and also meets your every requirements. Because with Defy you might not have good gaming experience if you play only occasionally.

You know what don't consider Nexus S, BUY IT. Because let me tell you this, buying Nexus S will give you peace of mind. You are not left in the dark when the Android 4.0 (ICS) update comes out by this year end. In fact, Nexus S will be the first phone to ever get the 4.0 (ICS) update while Nexus Prime will be the first phone to have 4.0 (ICS) out of the box.

So buy it for peace of mind. Also remember that this phone is no slouch either. Powerful hummingbird processor coupled with the best single core GPU SGX540. Best Audio, thanks to Wolfson DAC and also a decent 5 MP camera with LED Flash. Also has NFC chip which will become a standard feature soon. Only downfall is that 16gb in it is not expandable. But you know what, I find 16gb more than enough on my Nexus S. Other than minor missing feature, this is one heck of a phone to buy.

Hey i got an optimus black for my younger bro @ rs17500 . It has a good cam . Only drawback is battery life which after rooting is better then my i9000 . Currently exchanged my galaxy s with him since i love the looks of black . No flash in galaxy has turned me down a little

Back