Budget 71-90K Need a desktop for college student

masterkd

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • none
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell 22" 1080P
    • Mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel 12400 - 17000
    • Motherboard - Asrock B660M Pro RS - 11500
    • Corsair 8G 3200MHz x2 - 4300
    • GPU - 6650 XT Eagle - 27000
    • PSU - Deepcool PK550D - 3700
    • WD SN570 1TB - 5400
    • WD Blue 2TB - 4550
    • Ant Esports ICE 300 Mesh - 3000
    • Keyboard - Cosmic Byte CB-GK-28 Vanth - 1850
    • Microtek 1KVA UPS - 5000
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrade
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi/Noida
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Studies (College)
    • Coding (College)
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No Preference
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • AAA
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1080p
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes/No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10/11

Last edited:
I would suggest changing the processor to a Ryzen 5 5600, which is actually cheaper at 14k and delivers the same performance as the 12400.
For the Ryzen 5 5600, you'll have to change the motherboard as well. MSI B550 PRO VDH or the Gigabyte B550M DS3H are good options.
Also, I see that you most likely have a 60hz display. Why not go for the RX 6600 instead? At 60fps, there will no need for the 6650 XT, unless you play with max settings or plan on upgrading your monitor in the future.

Actually my nephew wants to keep iGPU option in case the GPU goes bad he would atleast be able to run the system. Otherwise I would have suggested 12400F to save money.
Also I do not see much difference in price between 6600 XT and 6650 XT. Thats why went for 6650 XT.

As for PSU, don't take anything below a gold rated 80+ one. Please don't do cost cuttings on the PSU. It'll keep your precious components safe.

I would personally go with:

1) the MSI Mortax Max B660 board which enables you to OC locked sku's.. (a OC'ed 12400 is gonna come very close to a 13500 or more in gaming performance) also i would personally go with 12400F and save money there. Since at 1080p resolutions processor plays a big role. this board will also enable you to go upgrade upto any 13th gen processor in the future.

You would also have to spend on AG620 or AK620 to keep the processor cool, but it will be much much future proof.

2) if no 1 is not an option for you i would save money on my board and go with Asus prime H610.. contrary to what people might say that board is good enough for processors upto locked i5's.. my 2 friends have 2 pc's with 12400F on that board and its completely fine.. with the money saved i would get 32gb RAM.

Also why wouldnt just go 2tb SN570?

Why a UPS.. you dont have inverter in your home?

I would perosnally cut on things like a second ssd and UPS to get better performance today with point 1.. those things can come later if required.

MSI Mag B660M Mortar MAX is out of stock most of the places and also way expensive. Will not be able to fit in the budget.
If Asus Prime H610M-E D4 is good enough then I am considering this.
Also should I upgrade to 650 W PSU or 550 W is good enough?
Regarding UPS actually there is generator in the community but takes approx 2 mins to kick in.

Last edited:
MSI Mag B660M Mortar MAX is out of stock most of the places and also way expensive. Will not be able to fit in the budget.
Regarding UPS actually there is generator in the community but takes approx 2 mins to kick in.
Available on PCstudio and yes you should definetly go for a 650 even tho it is not needed for the current parts but much more future proof.

The RX 6600 costs about 21k.
For only gaming, then yes, H610 is fine. Else VRM throttling will kick in and result in lower performance and reduced lifespan of mobo. Also, you lose 2 memory slots

Back