Need a good (and free) method to share passwords

kvn95ss

Adept
We use a common work email in our research lab, this email is used by the bioinformaticians (Who have mostly been 2 in number), along with other accounts created using this common email.

As I use Bitwarden myself, I created a Collection to share the password with my colleague. Now we are expecting more people to be recruited for the position, hence share the password to more number of people. Bitwarden free has a limit of 2 people sharing, hence was looking at alternatives.

We also use a linux server, so despite the limitations, we could consider self-hosting a solution as well.

Having a common email is a bit of an anti-pattern. Have you considered having a google group instead? Assuming it is gmail-like, it is possible for multiple people to be members of a google group and reply to emails as if it is responded from the group email address.

Having a common email is a bit of an anti-pattern. Have you considered having a google group instead? Assuming it is gmail-like, it is possible for multiple people to be members of a google group and reply to emails as if it is responded from the group email address.
I do agree, but AFAIK Microsoft doesn’t have something similar

We use a common work email in our research lab, this email is used by the bioinformaticians (Who have mostly been 2 in number), along with other accounts created using this common email.

As I use Bitwarden myself, I created a Collection to share the password with my colleague. Now we are expecting more people to be recruited for the position, hence share the password to more number of people. Bitwarden free has a limit of 2 people sharing, hence was looking at alternatives.

We also use a linux server, so despite the limitations, we could consider self-hosting a solution as well.
Your best bet is hosting your own.
You associate the email addresses of the people with google authenticator or similar 2fa private key and then to get the password, they enter their email + totp from the app.
It's simple yet effective !

Back