Budget 20-25K Need a good phone | Bye-bye Apple

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Need some help to narrow down a phone.

Background:
I have never owned an Android phone so am lost. And I do not see value in Apple phones anymore*. With the above budget, if possible under 20K, I can stretch till 25K if it is really worth it.

What I would want for sure:
1. 5G ready
2. NFC
3. Wireless charging--even if it is slow
4. Good battery life
5. At least 2x more years of Android updates [not sure what the update cycle is, since my iPhone SE is still receiving updates]
6. Small form factor < 6.5"

Good to have:
1. Travel adapter [not a deal breaker]
2. Pre-installed screen guard
3. Decent camera [but not a prerequisite, since most of my clicks are on a Sony ILCE]
4. Strong body, I do not want to use a phone case/cover. Hate them.
5. Amazon delivery. Cannot visit brick-n-mortar.
6. Pure Android (read: minimal bloatware, or can be uninstalled without rooting]
7. Am even fine with 64GB storage

+++Minor points:
1. Should be decently crisp and quick to respond
2. On screen thumb unlock
3. Facial unlock (does Android have this)? Sorry!
4. Not sure about processor and RAM.

Thanks for the help.

-Anil

*need to buy two units at the same time

Last edited:
I doubt there are any phones which fit the requirements. Small phones have become a rarity in the market. Even less than 6.5" is asking for too much these days. Everything is 6.7-6.8". Wireless charging is not common on phones under 30k. There may be a few, but not abundant. And most Android phones receive only 2 years of updates, max 3. So you would need a phone launched within the last year.

The only phone which I can think of is Samsung Galaxy S20 FE. Sadly it costs 30k (that too only currently, during sale. It will go up later). If you can arrange Citi Bank or RBL Bank CC, then you can get it for 28,500 from Amazon. If you have an old phone to exchange, you might be able to get it within your budget.

The only phone which I can think of is Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Not recommended for someone who is looking for a compact phone. It is 8.4mm thick and weighs 190gm. Since I use a cover, the total weight is about 230gms. I just bought a 12 mini as replacement.

My previous phone was a LG v30. It was all metal, 7.3mm thick, and weighed <160gms. I just couldn't get used to S20 FE's bulk.

I doubt there are any phones which fit the requirements. Small phones have become a rarity in the market. Even less than 6.5" is asking for too much these days. Everything is 6.7-6.8". Wireless charging is not common on phones under 30k. There may be a few, but not abundant. And most Android phones receive only 2 years of updates, max 3. So you would need a phone launched within the last year.

The only phone which I can think of is Samsung Galaxy S20 FE. Sadly it costs 30k (that too only currently, during sale. It will go up later). If you can arrange Citi Bank or RBL Bank CC, then you can get it for 28,500 from Amazon. If you have an old phone to exchange, you might be able to get it within your budget.
I can do with 6.8" too. Small factor is not mandatory. 30K. I may increase budget. Depends. Will look over what you suggested.
Not recommended for someone who is looking for a compact phone. It is 8.4mm thick and weighs 190gm. Since I use a cover, the total weight is about 230gms. I just bought a 12 mini as replacement.

My previous phone was a LG v30. It was all metal, 7.3mm thick, and weighed <160gms. I just couldn't get used to S20 FE's bulk.
My current is SE original. Running fine. But next month updates will stop , and my office will restrict mail access on it. ≥6.5" will be difficult to get used to. Thanks for your inputs.

With the small form factor requirement removed, the Nothing Phone (1) is technically a good fit (currently 27K with HDFC offers), but...

• The software is still a bit janky and I think it will be a work in progress for a while.
• Seemingly non-existent quality control on display panels makes the possibility of ending up with a bad screen a real one (including in replacement units).

As such, I would not currently recommend, but for those lucky enough to get a good unit, it's certainly uniquely positioned for what it offers. It is very large form factor, however, similar to an iPhone Pro Max.

If you're willing to compromise on wireless charging, the Pixel 6a (currently 29K with HDFC offers) seems like a good choice.

If you are moving from an iPhone, you will really struggle with low cost droids. It is better that you check the new Moto Edge 30 series, the pixel 6a and Nothing Phone 1. All of these come with clean Android but you will have to go north of 30k. If you get a sub 20k droid, there is a very high chance that you will have to change that device. I am saying this from personal experience. After using iPhone 6 and Galaxy S3, I switched to Realme 3. I just could not use it. Then I tried the Poco F1. Though it is good, I just could not stand MIUI and semi-decent camera. Went with Oneplus 8 and this phone kept me happy for close to 2 years. Now, I have switched back to iPhone (13).

You better up your budget and get upper midrange smartphone. Also, I have a recommended smartphone list (www.gadgetdetail.com/smartlist). I am updating this with new phones today and updated page will be available by end of the day.

Last edited:
I got Samsung Galaxy S21 FE few days ago, it checks almost all your requirements. I'm pretty sure it will again be available for 30-31k in the upcoming Diwali sale.

It is totally worth 30k.

Battery life is not great (when compared to the competition) but easily lasts me over a day. I get 5+ hours of SOT. It doesn't have stock Android but Samsung OneUI is really good. It doesn't come with screen guard pre applied or a charger in the box.

It has 6.4" screen, flagship level camera, 4 years of promised updates, wireless charging, etc.

It's available for 30k right now on Amazon. Then there's further card discounts.
Where? It is showing 43-53K.
+1 to the Moto edge 30. I have it.
Sure, will look at this too.
You better up your budget and get upper midrange smartphone. Also, I have a recommended smartphone list (www.gadgetdetail.com/smartlist). I am updating this with new phones today and updated page will be available by end of the day.
Thanks for your suggestions. Will look into them.

That portal is nice. Maybe you can add screen size (next to model name. Like: 6.8"). It would be helpful.

@desiibond I just looked at the good bad section for my phone Moto edge 30 and it mentions fingerprint sensor on side but it's actually in display.

Just an FYI. You might need to double check others too for inaccuracies if this is your website.

@asingh

Keep checking Samsung Shop (official Samsung Store) for it too. I got mine from there only. It isn't available as of now but stocks might come back.

AFAIK, it went never that low on Amazon. Only Flipkart was selling it for that price, although I'm not sure if buying from Flipkart is a wise decision after all the s*** Flipkart pulled this time.

Here is some discussion before I zeroed in on S21 FE. Something might be helpful to you.

The S20 FE at 30K is seeming like a good choice. It has everything I need. But is is 2years old. How much longer will it receive updates, or at least app updates. If not the core OS version up.

The S20 FE at 30K is seeming like a good choice. It has everything I need. But is is 2years old. How much longer will it receive updates, or at least app updates. If not the core OS version up.
Earlier Samsung had promised 3 years of OS updates, so most likely Android 13 will be the last OS update it receives.

S20 FE is available for 27k (after HDFC CC discount) here.

You will always receive app updates unlike ios on android atleast for next 7-8 years

s20 fe i usimng this device for last 1 year..go ahead with eyes closed though i dont care for small screen so ymmv

i think 1 or 2 more android updates still left for s20 and 2 or 3 years of security updates

This would be my recommendation too. I have one. It will get A13 as the last update. I'm fine if it does not get anything more.

S21FE will get A14. S21FE does not have a MicroSD card which you will not miss.

4. Strong body, I do not want to use a phone case/cover. Hate them.
S20FE does not have that. It definitely needs a case. This one should be good if you go with navy blue. I went with mint green.

I doubt S20FE can survive a corner drop without cracking the screen. 4,500mah battery adds heft.

The phone is cheap because there are some compromises on the build. Specs wise it is great with a snapdragon that won't heat up.
I have a Samsung M52, crazy camera, insane battery backup, and 2 yrs of guaranteed updates under 20k
battery reduced from M51. That one had a two day battery

Last edited:
This would be my recommendation too. I have one. It will get A13 as the last update. I'm fine if it does not get anything more.

S21FE will get A14. S21FE does not have a MicroSD card which you will not miss.

S20FE does not have that. It definitely needs a case. This one should be good if you go with navy blue. I went with mint green.

I doubt S20FE can survive a corner drop without cracking the screen. 4,500mah battery adds heft.

The phone is cheap because there are some compromises on the build. Specs wise it is great with a snapdragon that won't heat up.

battery reduced from M51. That one had a two day battery

Those are great insights. Will keep in mind the case. It looks good for sure!

Back