PC Peripherals Need a good UPS for my rig

atiamd

Adept
I have a Corsair 750TX PSU. I have gone thru the sticky of PSU and UPS and sine wave, but frankly, it confused me more than helping. I read all about pure sine wave, stepped sine wave, simulated sine wave, active PFCs, and for the first time in my life I am regretting doing B.Tech. in Computers...lol...

Anyways, my PSU is active PFC, so I would need a "special" UPS or so it seems.
Which UPS would be compatible? I just need 10 15 minutes of backup as the power backup from the society takes that much time to kick in. Here is my rig:

1) 7850 2Gb
2) AMD phenom II 720BE overclocked to 3.3 GHz on stock volts
3) 3 Hard drives 3.5" 7200 RPM 1TB each
Rest in my sig

Yo, I understand most people are from Mumbai and thus have no clue about UPS etc. but it would be nice if someone could tell us that this brand of UPS would be good with your PSU... Can you guys tell me where to order it online or in Delhi (Nehru Place etc.)?

Yo, I understand most people are from Mumbai and thus have no clue about UPS etc. but it would be nice if someone could tell us that this brand of UPS would be good with your PSU... Can you guys tell me where to order it online or in Delhi (Nehru Place etc.)?

Get APC BR-1100 VA UPS from Nehru place, its the best for your config, I am using it on TX650 V2 and have no issues.

Okay thanks. I'll go for it. Just curious, how much backup time does it provide on your rig. Your rig is almost similar to mine... And where did you buy it from? Nehru Place? Know a shop? Or direct from APC India website?

It will give you 15min backup time if you're doing heavy work if not then 20-25min load it can take.
Okay thanks. I'll go for it. Just curious, how much backup time does it provide on your rig. Your rig is almost similar to mine... And where did you buy it from? Nehru Place? Know a shop? Or direct from APC India website?

I bought it from SMS International, Nehru place for 4.8k, I have never tried an exhaustive test, but i remember once that I was not at home and power failed for around half hour+ and It was giving backup in Power Saver mode(Windows) and its Voltage regulator is quite good, my previous Microtek one destroyed some equipments of mine(inc. Itself :p), So i decided to go for a better brand :)

Thanks @pranut and @Jakob... I guess I'll just go for it then and hope that my active PFC on my PSU does not disagree with the UPS.... :p.... Does it have the RJ 45 connection/USB connection to connect it to the PC to use Powerchute... I am interested in Powerschute because it lets you decide to shut down the computer according to conditions defined by user (e.g. shutdown the PC automatically when only 5 minutes of battery backup remains etc.)?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it this one>>???

http://www.theitdepot.com/details-APC+Back+UPS+1100+(BR1100CI-IN)_C37P4702.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using APC 1100 Backup UPS with my Tagan 800w Modular supply on 5870 crossfire without any issues from last 2 years with backup time 10 mins. Decent for shutting down system

Thanks pranut and Jakob... I guess I'll just go for it then and hope that my active PFC on my PSU does not disagree with the UPS.... :p.... Does it have the RJ 45 connection/USB connection to connect it to the PC to use Powerchute... I am interested in Powerschute because it lets you decide to shut down the computer according to conditions defined by user (e.g. shutdown the PC automatically when only 5 minutes of battery backup remains etc.)?

- - - Updated - - -

Is it this one>>???

Theitdepot - APC Back UPS 1100 (BR1100CI-IN)

Yup thats the one...APC Back-UPS 1100, 230V, BS546A, without auto shutdown software, India

It has phone line one I think(RJ-11), and no USB ie. No auto shutdown.

Yeah, RJ 11 is used to provide surge protection to fax machines and such... Anyways, thanks for all the help you guys... I'll go with this and report back... :)

Hey folks,

How is this UPS for my system? It is a 420 W APC BACKUPS ES 700 VA
APC BackUPS ES 700 VA - Hardwire.in

According to various reviews of 7850, the MAX power draw is 256W for the WHOLE system.

AMD Radeon HD 7850 and 7870 review - Hardware setup | Power consumption

What do you say? Should it work with corsair TX 750? Or not? The only reason I dont want to go with APC BACKUPS 1100 VA is because it does not have a USB connection with the PC, while the 420W one mentioned above does... The difference in price is only about 1500 rupees which is not a big deal, but am hoping that the cheaper UPS should be able to hold my system and I really need the USB connectivity it offers... My concern is if the 420W UPS is active PFC compatible or not.

And we know for sure that the second one is compatible as @pranut is already using it...but it does not have the USB connectivity... aaarrrghhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey folks,

How is this UPS for my system? It is a 420 W APC BACKUPS ES 700 VA
APC BackUPS ES 700 VA - Hardwire.in

According to various reviews of 7850, the MAX power draw is 256W for the WHOLE system.

AMD Radeon HD 7850 and 7870 review - Hardware setup | Power consumption

What do you say? Should it work with corsair TX 750? Or not? The only reason I dont want to go with APC BACKUPS 1100 VA is because it does not have a USB connection with the PC, while the 420W one mentioned above does... The difference in price is only about 1500 rupees which is not a big deal, but am hoping that the cheaper UPS should be able to hold my system and I really need the USB connectivity it offers... My concern is if the 420W UPS is active PFC compatible or not.

And we know for sure that the second one is compatible as pranut is already using it...but it does not have the USB connectivity... aaarrrghhhh

Yup the power draw of the card is near that point only, I have no idea whether the UPS u mentioned will be able to handle the load. My 800VA microtec UPS wasnt able to handle a 550W PSU.

So I would suggest sticking with 1.1Kva just to be safe and have room for further upgrades, if you really want the USB feature then first try make sure that it would be able to take up the load, try to find someone you can let u know more about that model.

Else increase your budget and go for a higher model 1kva with USB.

Back