Need a Laptop for Development and Professional Work within 25k

Hi guys,
I want to buy a new laptop but I'm a little low on budget, so here are my specifications:

Budget: 25k

Purpose:
1. Development and Other Professional Work: Want to develop applications on MS Visual Studio 2008, IIS, WAMP and will be doing professional work on Photoshop CS5, Illustrator, After Effects CS4, Samplitude and Blender
Will be making a dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows 7
2. Casual Work: For Downloading, Watching Movies etc.
Normally would be running it 24x7

Size/Weight: Atleast 14" screen size, 15.6" would be preferred, weight doesn't matter

Brand: Doesn't matter but should have good build quality because I really need a sturdy laptop which can fulfill my needs and withstand the loads of work which'll be done on it 24x7

Any other considerations: Would like to have i5, preloaded OS is not needed at all

Guys, please help me out in finding the best one within my budget

Thanks a lot :)

Thanks for your reply mate :)

But the link you shared says that the model is for 29k, are you saying that I can get this for 26k locally ?

BTW how about Asus, I heard a lot of good reviews about Asus laptops. So can I find a model within my range ?

Sorry bro

It is available at 27k now
With 2k gift certificate ..

Few days back it was available at 25.7k
Asus I don't have much experience
A.S.S. is a problem I think..

No Problem Bro

Sorry bro

It is available at 27k now
With 2k gift certificate ..

Few days back it was available at 25.7k
Asus I don't have much experience
A.S.S. is a problem I think..

Can anyone please guide me in choosing a laptop within my budget, Thanks
happy19.gif

Thanks a lot mate :)
I think I need to increase my budget to 27k

Even I got hold of a few models:

1. Dell Vostro 1540 Ci3/ 2GB/ 320GB/ Linux Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Notebook

2. Dell Vostro 1540 Ci3/2 GB/500 GB/Linux: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Notebook

3. Dell Vostro 1550 2nd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 320GB/ Linux Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Notebook

4. Toshiba Satellite C640 Satellite C640-X4015 Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Toshiba Notebook

5. Toshiba C640-I401B (Ci3/ 2GB/ 500GB/ No OS) Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Toshiba Notebook

6. Wipro e.go Lithium Pro Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Wipro Notebook

So in your opinion which one should I go with or do you know a better option
I'm planning to visit Nehru Place may be I can get a better deal there than these online stores :p

Thanks a lot :)

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

thanks for your help but I don't want to buy any dual core lappy, btw thanks for that dell vostro recommendation :)

As per my recent discussion with my friend who just started a startup project and coding himself... and few more people I know who code a lot with Visual Studio (I used to long back)..

Their both and my One major suggestion.. Get a CHEAPER/ OLDER laptop (maybe 6 month / 1 year old) and Save the money... for an SSD. You will thank yourself. Even better if you can source SSD from US/ out of India prices.

One thing that we all live by.. High resolution LCD. Get something with 1920 x 1080 or 1600 x 900 or high resolution.

1366 x 768 is freaking joke that came in from the Netbook world and spoilt true HD 1920 x 1080 into some psuedo wanna be HD.

Most people will be so stuck on i3 & i5 & i7. But your true bottleneck in usage will be HDD & for user experience.. your LCD/LED resolution.

PS: This comes from someone who's done Device Driver programming, Win 32 SDK / C/ C++ / COM/ DCOM back in 1995. VS.NET came 6/7 years later. To code on a Low Res screen is a Pain.

PS: Most ready-made laptops may not come with high res..(rarely) so you might have to CTO (Customized to Order) with Lenovo/ Dell/ HP or another..

Thanks a lot mate, for your valuable piece of advice it. Indeed it is a pain to code on low res screens, but a 6 months or 1 yr old laptop in good condition is hard to find so I guess I have to settle for a new one :)

As per my recent discussion with my friend who just started a startup project and coding himself... and few more people I know who code a lot with Visual Studio (I used to long back)..

Their both and my One major suggestion.. Get a CHEAPER/ OLDER laptop (maybe 6 month / 1 year old) and Save the money... for an SSD. You will thank yourself. Even better if you can source SSD from US/ out of India prices.

One thing that we all live by.. High resolution LCD. Get something with 1920 x 1080 or 1600 x 900 or high resolution.

1366 x 768 is freaking joke that came in from the Netbook world and spoilt true HD 1920 x 1080 into some psuedo wanna be HD.

Most people will be so stuck on i3 & i5 & i7. But your true bottleneck in usage will be HDD & for user experience.. your LCD/LED resolution.

PS: This comes from someone who's done Device Driver programming, Win 32 SDK / C/ C++ / COM/ DCOM back in 1995. VS.NET came 6/7 years later. To code on a Low Res screen is a Pain.

PS: Most ready-made laptops may not come with high res..(rarely) so you might have to CTO (Customized to Order) with Lenovo/ Dell/ HP or another..

I am sticking with my X61T (3/4 years old) because at 12.1" it has the highest res 1400 x 1050. Just upped it to 8GB DDR2 and will be installing SSD soon.

I eagerly pray & await the INFLUX of higher/ better res screens in 12/13/14" ( I cant carry 15" machines anymore.. Dont code anymore but still need High Res) Hopefully, the Apple Retina / High Res movement will make companies drop the stupid 1366 x 768 and go high res.

Good luck with finding a machine with High Res OPTION. Typically, CTO.

@crashnburn: thanks for the suggestions, screen is something which is neglected my most of us!! But sadly there are not many options available today, some sony models and lenovo thinkpads are coming with it, both little pricey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back