Need a modem cum router with P2P support + remote access + QoS

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Budget -> ~2k, can exceed to 3k if really needed. Don't want flashy features except the ones mentioned.

Features required ->N based, P2P support, remote access, mass storage support, easy QoS (bandwidth distribution), signal strength should be across 2 floors. ddwrt or tomato support (don't know much about tomato but whichever is better).

I can't compromise with P2P support (I guess that will self mean mass storage support), signal strength (2 floor is enough) and QoS.

PS: 150mbps or 300mbps matters for file transfers over WAN only or something more?

PPS: Can any one shed light on MIMO and its significance?

TIY :)

Pretty unlikely you'll find anything with that feature-set in the budget you've mentioned. They're usually in excess of 6-7k. Even then, the ones that do have USB ports for hard-drives don't have a built-in torrent client. At least, none that I've seen. DD-WRT/Tomato support is pretty much non-existent for modem+router combos. You're better off just getting a router with a USB port with decent DD-WRT or TomatoUSB support.

150 or 300Mbps matters only for LAN throughput. The WAN throughput is limited by the speed of your net connection.

http://www.wi-fi.org/knowledge-center/faq/what-mimo

Thanks for the reply Edrill. I can do with only P2P + mass storage (read NAS)+ remote access. I can ditch rest. Any router+modem combo available under 3k? If combo not available I can do with router only, as last option.

You'll have to go for a router. Like I mentioned earlier, I've yet to see a modem+router combo with a USB port for less than 3k. Even the ones with USB ports don't have native support for torrents, and since third-party firmware is pretty much non-existent for modem+router combos, you'll still not have what you need. A router would be your best bet. There's quite a few economical routers out there with decent third-party firmware support that will handle all your requirements.

^Ok, then I will settle with router. Can you point to me a model with features I want? And if any of the custom firmwares (ddWRT, tomato, openWRT or whatever) add torrent capability? What about this? Though native P2P support isn't mentioned, but this is the only router with USB support falling in my budget as per flipkart.

EDIT: Asus RT-N13U @ 3.2k is there too.

Go for the Asus RT-N13U. It'll fulfil all your requirements. And there's a thread here itself about how to get it up and running with DD-WRT.

Back