Budget 71-90K Need a multi-purpose laptop

mallik

Adept
Hi,

I have been a ghost for a long time, but needed help regarding laptop purchase.

• What's your Budget? (70-100K)
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? (Multimedia/Casual Gaming/Browsing/Photo&Video Editing)
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? (14/15 inch)
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? No
  • Any other considerations? (In order of preference)
    • Latest i7/Ryzen build with discreet graphics
    • Good build quality (want to use the laptop for 3-4 years at least)
    • Good battery (>5 hours)
    • Decent gaming performance (Witcher 3)
    • Adobe Premiere Pro should run without lag for normal videos
    • Decent colour reproduction
I have looked at a few options:

Edit:

Also looking at this cheaper alternative, with larger screen. Seems to be a good deal.

I have been away from Tech for a while, but may need to get back to it, in these troubled times. So, please help me choose a decent machine.

Any other options are welcome. I am a little circumspect of Acer/HP, but can be convinced with logic. I got a Dell XPS 15" 9370 from US two years ago for my girlfriend who is a graphic designer, and she is quite happy with it. So, I like Dell machines, but Dell India is selling outdates stuff on their website. Macbooks are way out of my budget

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ordered and Cancelled an Asus Tuf 17" Gaming Laptop. Was a hell of a deal near the 45K mark but finally got over the OCD.
Consoled myself with a like new Recertified Acer Swift 3 for my brother instead.

Flipkart.
46990-1750(card discount).
No Cost EMI.
Already have a ZenBook Duo. Not using it enough. Mainly use my NEC Lavie. Not a heavy user.

You were looking for 14-15 inch laptop, ended up with a 17 incher!!

My main purpose was getting a laptop with good graphics capabilities, with as low a budget as possible. The Asus TUF 15" didn't have the Ryzen 5/Nvidia 1650 combo that I got on the 17". Now I can do some video editing/photo editing and also play games like Witcher 3, which I have wanted to play for a while. I got this for 53K, which was a good price for me. I am happy to save the 20-30K, and use it elsewhere :)

After tweaking the colour/graphics settings using online help, and tweaking Windows, I am happy with the way laptop is behaving. The only gripe is the clunky touch pad, but I knew about that problem before I bought it. The keypad is actually quite nice. Will post a detailed review later.

Asus has refreshed their TUF series now (bummer!), but at this price I would not have got the system I currently have. Also, I needed the laptop urgently, as I have to give back the school laptop - a Macbook Air.

It stays in one place, but I require portability at times, which a desktop can't provide. I cannot have both a desktop at home, and a laptop for travel. So, this 17" with better portability than a desktop serves my needs. With the launch of new Xiaomi laptops, I was thinking whether I should have waited a month. Although, those machines don't have a proven record, and I am happy with the graphics card on my machine.

I was watching some youtube videos about the Xiaomi laptops. They do not have back-lit keyboards or inbuilt web cams even in the 55-60k models! AFAIK they do not even have any 16GB memory option!!

Did you check out the LG Gram 17"?

Or, if it is not very urgent, wait for the Ryzen ones to trickle in. AMD's taken the game to a different level.

LG Gram 17" is not available right now in India. Only available in US, and at a much higher price. Also, it only has Intel integrated graphics. One of the moot points of buying a new laptop rather than keeping the Mac Air was being able to play Witcher games, and to do some amount of Adobe Suite work including Premiere Pro.

I have already bought the Asus TUF 17" (specs: 512 GB SSD, Ryzen 5, Nvidia GTX 1650, 8 GB RAM) for 53K and am satisfied with it. Bought extra 8 GB RAM which will make the system peppier. I have seen the new AMD, which are fantastic, but I couldn't wait, as I need it to replace my school Mac Air. Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

On another note, any good wireless mouse suggestions?

Back