PC Peripherals Need a recommendation for a UPS to handle my homelab

Hello,
So I need a UPS (600VA?) which will keep the following devices powered on
  1. Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a 2TB external hard disk - which constitutes my OpenMediaVault setup that runs Plex and a basic file sharing within the network
  2. Dell Optiplex 3050 Tiny PC (i5-6500|16G RAM|256G NVMe WD Boot drive)- which runs my HomeAssistant bare metal (there are plans to shift this to a ProxMox setup, as I experiment a bit with other containers/VMs)
  3. Asus RT-AC66U B1 - My primary Wifi Router, whose 2.4G network I am using for my DIY home automations and the 5G is used by the smart TV/phones and laptops
  4. The included 5G dual band router/modem that came in with the Hathway connection
The intent is for the system to be able to comfortably run for a couple hours on UPS, in the event of a longish power failure. The ability to run even low loads and not turning off when the connected devices are idling is crucial and non-negotiable. The ability to silence/disconnect/muffle the beeps on battery power is greatly desired. Reliable unit, with a user serviceable/replaceable battery unit is needed.

Thank you for looking at this - now hit me with your best options! Think budget, because I am a super cheap guy!

Last edited:
Would you consider DIY options?

I looked for one such UPS too, but I didn't want to use the cheap ones which are either square wave or modified sine wave and not pure sine wave.

The reason is because I don't know how tolerant my adapters/devices would be to modified sine wave AC. Most times, these are only intended to be used to prevent data loss and not for redundancy. Also they are heavy.

I used an 18650 Li-ion pack and a few buck boost converters to run this entire setup.

I have multiple such "UPS" all across my house. (For the router, my HDD, a Pi 0 and another Pi 5)

Do read this post (it's very vague though and assumes you already have DIY experience) and DM me/post there if you have any doubts.

It should be very similar, since the SFF that you use also uses a DC input (19V adapter if I'm not wrong) and not AC.

Cost wise, this will definitely run you more than the cheapest 600VA UPS (read Zebronics) but you should be able to finish the entire build within 4 or 5K. 18650 cells are the major cost of the build and it depends on how long you intend to power the devices post failure.

Also note that, you can add an ESP32/8266 to this mix and have it inform you of loss of power and then power off your HomeLab (except the router) after a few hours of running on batteries and the charge is about to drain out.

Last edited:
Would you consider DIY options?

I looked for one such UPS too, but I didn't want to use the cheap ones which are either square wave or modified sine wave and not pure sine wave.

The reason is because I don't know how tolerant my adapters/devices would be to modified sine wave AC. Most times, these are only intended to be used to prevent data loss and not for redundancy. Also they are heavy.

I used an 18650 Li-ion pack and a few buck boost converters to run this entire setup.

I have multiple such "UPS" all across my house. (For the router, my HDD, a Pi zero and another Pi 5)

Do read this post (it's very vague though and assumes you already have DIY experience) and DM me, post there if you have any doubts.

It should be very similar, since the SFF that you use also uses a DC input (19V adapter if I'm not wrong) and not AC.

Cost wise, this will definitely run you more than the cheapest 600VA UPS (read Zebronics) but you should be able to finish the entire build within 4 or 5K. 18650 cells are the major cost of the build and it depends on how long you intend to power the devices post failure.

Also note that, you can add an ESP32/8266 to this mix and have it inform you of loss of power and then power off your HomeLab (except the router) after a few hours of running on batteries and the charge is about to drain out.
I did envision a box with 230V AC as input and a set of 5V, 12V and 19V barrel jack output connectors, along with a set of multiple cables of varying pin sizes...

My skills in DIY aren't the greatest. But for sure, it's an interesting project!

I have a perfect suggestion for you. This is what I got myself for the same reason as you. This was after buying a few thousands worth of stuff from robu for making my own DC UPS, which was never got made because I never got time.

What you want is a micro load UPS. As far as I am aware, there is currently only one available in India. Or was available, because it seems to have been discontinued. It's https://zebronics.com/products/zeb-mls750

It's been out of stock everywhere for a long time except https://dcchub.com/ . They had them for about 1.8k. And I grabbed one. The website is down. Maybe you could order it through phone/whatsapp.

Keep in mind, while brand new, the UPS had a manufacturing date older than 2 years. Battery can degrade, but I'm still getting 3 hours of backup. The battery can be changed. I would have gladly paid 3k for this UPS even with a degraded battery. It's such a unique, super rare, collection worthy and highly impactful thing to own. lol

I have a perfect suggestion for you. This is what I got myself for the same reason as you. This was after buying a few thousands worth of stuff from robu for making my own DC UPS, which was never got made because I never got time.

What you want is a micro load UPS. As far as I am aware, there is currently only one available in India. Or was available, because it seems to have been discontinued. It's https://zebronics.com/products/zeb-mls750

It's been out of stock everywhere for a long time except https://dcchub.com/ . They had them for about 1.8k. And I grabbed one. The website is down. Maybe you could order it through phone/whatsapp.

Keep in mind, while brand new, the UPS had a manufacturing date older than 2 years. Battery can degrade, but I'm still getting 3 hours of backup. The battery can be changed. I would have gladly paid 3k for this UPS even with a degraded battery. It's such a unique, super rare, collection worthy and highly impactful thing to own. lol
What's special about above Zebronics model than APC ?

Thanks for the suggestion - I got a Microtek Legend 750M from amazon which supposedly handles micro loads - unfortunately product was defective and had to return. Will keep an eye out for this Zebronics unit...

Just as an FYI - model not in stock with DCC and an inquiry form submitted on the Zebronics site also turned up a not in stock message...

Last edited:
What's special about above Zebronics model than APC ?
This particular UPS was rated for micro and sensitive load.

But what does that mean?
It doesn't beep when the power is out. It's efficient for powering low load applications, making it last really long compared to normal UPS. Normal UPS usually doesn't last this long with smaller loads. It auto-starts after power is resumed. Not that it matters, but this is always online type UPS, so there's no switch over. Not much relay clicking sound. It's a plug and forget type UPS.

My server setup is in a loft, plus I have run a cat5 cable upstairs carrying its AC to power more gadgets, upstairs.

I got a Microtek Legend 750M from amazon which supposedly handles micro loads
That's sweeeet. I did not find this model when I was searching for one. Google is indeed getting worse.

Before getting my current micro load UPS, I was using a DC UPS to power 3 things. But, IMO, micro load AC UPS is a better option than DC UPS. DC UPS are good for those who have like only one router. Micro load AC UPS will power all of your current set of gadgets and any gadget you might end up buying in the future. And, being AC, you can have a cable running to the other end of your house powering a Wi-Fi extender. You can't do that with DC.

I would think of getting that microtek again.

Bought this same 3 yrs back....ran good till battery dead....haven't replaced battery yet. Been lazy ass. But yeah it is quite good a d i even run a tv also on it but it's for a max of 30-60s till gensets kick in. Been thinking of using Diy LFP with it now that's why haven't replaced the batteries.

Back