Budget 10-15K Need a smartphone for my father

mallik

Adept
Budget?
A: INR 10k-15k

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: Don't want a very large phone. But size not a criteria

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android 11

4. Preferred connectivity options? (4G, 3G, 2G etc).
A: 4G

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No preference. Should have good service network

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Internet, WhatsApp, Call

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: Dual

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Will buy during Amazon Republic Day Sale

9. Any other requirements?
A: Need good battery backup.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Had ordered Redmi Note10 Pro in October for my mother. She is happy with it.

A no nonsense phone, with good battery backup and few glitches or issues. Hopefully not Samsung, as it has a lot of bloatware which is not easy to remove.

Thank you for helping!

Nokia g20 might come at 10k at sale stock android i have bought nokia 6.1 plus for my father 3 year ago he still uses it like it g20 might also be like that , as it doesnt have bloatware and all i will also exchange my father phone to g20 in sale

Depends on his age & how comfortable he is in debloating.

Simplest options: Moto or Nokia. No ads, no bloatware.
I will debloat for him, so that's not a problem. I am not so happy about processors in new Moto phones. He used a Moto 5GS since 2017, for more than four years. Edit: He is 76

Last edited:
Get a Moto G 31 if budget at 13k.
Although comparison with RN10 pro wouldn't be appropriate as both are in different price segments.
If you can debloat, deal with an erratic proximity sensor(you are the best judge since you already have one)and extend the budget then go for it.
If you are willing to extend the budget then G71 is also a good option. Relatively smaller at 6.4" + future proofing with 5G(13 bands) at 19k.
Frankly speaking, Moto is doing what Nokia should have done in the first place.

Get a Moto G 31 if budget at 13k.
Although comparison with RN10 pro wouldn't be appropriate as both are in different price segments.
If you can debloat, deal with an erratic proximity sensor(you are the best judge since you already have one)and extend the budget then go for it.
If you are willing to extend the budget then G71 is also a good option. Relatively smaller at 6.4" + future proofing with 5G(13 bands) at 19k.
Frankly speaking, Moto is doing what Nokia should have done in the first place.
Thanks for the suggestions. Currently leaning towards G71, if I can get it during the current sale. Wish me luck!

I am not able to get the exchange offer at my location on the Motorola phones, or any phones on Flipkart .They are even showing as not deliverable (Mussoorie). So might go with the Redmi Note. Now, which Redmi Note to get, if I do not want to stretch my budget too far above 10K, with exchange (getting 2k for the old phone)

Regarding Note series, the only one in your budget is RN10, but it is going to be a nightmare if you get 4/64 combination. For custom OS, 6 gb variant is recommended. He also got a Redmi 9 Power for his uncle a few months ago. He's kind of satisfied with the performance.

If you can manage the budget, then sure. Was about to suggest it but since you mentioned budget spending will not be above 10k inclusive of exchange.
You get around 7 bands of 5G. Not surprising, Xiaomi phones are not known to be that Carrier friendly.
6/64 is fine, if need additional space needed, you can go for a microSD card.
Do ask you mom about feedback on 10 pro particularly the software part. There has been lot of complaints about Miui software experience degrading. I use Poco X3 and I can confirm that. But XIAOMI has different OS for its 2 brands hence I mentioned to take feedback.
Moto G40 fusion, bit heavy, but has stock android & S732G. Sadly it seems OOS now, so G31 is decent.
His father is 76yo. I would never suggest someone of that age a device which weighs 225gms and 6.8". The word "uncomfortable" won't do justice. Given the time spent on Social media platforms, a phone weighing 225 gms is a no-go. Plus it won't fit properly in the palms or in pocket.

Last edited:
Yeah, size of the phone is important. All these phones seem quite big. However, I am not able to find a smaller phone with similar features at the same price point. I am happy with a plastic body as long as the performance is good.

My mom is not tech savvy, and the phone is relatively new, so I don't think she will be able to give me feedback on the UI. But I will check

I suggest a Mi A3
Mi A3 is two years old and new phones not be available any more. Right now still leaning towards 11T. Any other suggestions of similar phones? We'll finalise tonight, and order
If you can manage the budget, then sure. Was about to suggest it but since you mentioned budget spending will not be above 10k inclusive of exchange.
You get around 7 bands of 5G. Not surprising, Xiaomi phones are not known to be that Carrier friendly.
6/64 is fine, if need additional space needed, you can go for a microSD card.
Do ask you mom about feedback on 10 pro particularly the software part. There has been lot of complaints about Miui software experience degrading. I use Poco X3 and I can confirm that. But XIAOMI has different OS for its 2 brands hence I mentioned to take feedback.

His father is 76yo. I would never suggest someone of that age a device which weighs 225gms and 6.8". The word "uncomfortable" won't do justice. Given the time spent on Social media platforms, a phone weighing 225 gms is a no-go. Plus it won't fit properly in the palms or in pocket.
I asked my mom. She is absolutely over the moon over the phone. As you might realise we don't stay together, so asked her over the phone. She finds it absolutely amazing. Have asked my brother to check the phone for Hey and update it, regular he's with him

Commenting based on some reviews on 11T.
1. Software experience seems to be good. Since you are aware of how to debloat, it should be even better.
2. Camera seems to be a hit or miss, especially HDR. One video showed how HDR automatically toggled on-off when in auto. I am assuming they should have fixed this bug. Should'nt be too much of an issue knowing a person's usage.
3. Screen seems to be okayish... Why I say okayish is because for its real MRP(17k, not sale), my Poco X3 at same MRP had a good quality IPS screen. Do see some review videos especially for the screen part to ensure you and your Dad would be ok with it.
4. Battery life is good(subjective) thanks to the processor.

So would you recommend a Poco X3 instead of 11T? Camera is not a deal breaker, as long as phone performance and battery are good, and the screen doesn't cause glitches or issues.

I could not find anything specifically glitchy/buggy in the Redmi Note series, apart from the debloating problem. That I would have to do for the Poco as well

Poco weighs the same as G40 and is also tall at 6.7". So No.
Besides Poco as a manufacturer is now an orphan and it receives step-motherly treatment from Redmi when it comes to updates. Launcher is buggy(more than a year), updates are more like downgrades so I would advise you to refrain from purchasing Poco devices. It's just that Miui for Poco is not optimised or the developers don't care. In that aspect it would be appropriate to stick with Xiaomi or Redmi Note series as they get the greater attention and updates from the developers.

Back