Audio Need a standalone Woofer <=1K

Hi guys,

i'm having a vintage Sanyo deck which i have connected to my compiter using AUX. It scores on everything except one thing, it lacks 'that' much need bass
<
So i was wondering can i just buy a only a single woofer instead of buying a new 2.1 system as i don't need the speaker. Is it possible ?

Are the woofers sold seperately, and can someone please name which one to buy. Max budget is 1K. Don't need that high-end ones. Also, where can i buy these in Nehru Place, any pointers would be appreciated,

TIA.

BBThumbHealer
<

$ $ $ B U M P $ $ $

To attach a subwoofer, your Sanyo system should have a provision for sending signal to the sub. With dedicate audio systems, the pre-amp or amp usually will have a seperate line for the sub.

Check your manuals, or have a look at the rear panel to check it out. If there's none, then no point in getting the sub.

Sub-woofers are available seperately, but I am not aware of any sub's at your budget. I'll wait for others to fill in on this point.

#[member='Gryph0n'] : thanks for the reply mate. What's the line for the Sub called as ? The rear panel is having AUX, Speakers, Phono , antenna & Recording lines. There are different jacks for the same.

#[member='Gryph0n'] : thanks for the reply mate. What's the line for the Sub called as ? The rear panel is having AUX, Speakers, Phono , antenna & Recording lines. There are different jacks for the same.

Sorry mate, it appears that your system does not have a line-out for the subwoofer. Usually its a single jack, with labelling like "Sub-Out" or "Subwoofer-Out".

The above chain would have been like:

DAC>Sanyo>Subwoofer

It would still be possible to attach a subwoofer, but I think this topology is less popular. You will need a powered subwoofer that takes in the Audio signal (Via RCA usually), and then routes the non-bass signals to Left/Right line outs. Your Sanyo would need Line-In jacks for this purpose (I think that Aux should probably be Line-In in your case).

This chain would be like:

DAC > Subwoofer > Sanyo

But again, the subwoofers I have seen like this are 'audiophool' grade, costing in terms of 5 digits.

Unless you're able to source a cheap subwoofer with line-outs, I think you're better off getting a 2.1 system instead. Sony's SRS-D8 should be around 5k, and there's also Edifier's C2 for around the price.

Disclaimer: I haven't heard either of these, but they seem to have garnered good reviews.

Back