Budget 51-70k Need a system for running a few VM's

Faraz

Skilled
Questions
  1. What is your budget?
    • 60-70K
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • N/A
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Ryzen?
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard (10gig networking preferred but not required)
    • GPU - Not required
    • PSU - Any compatible one
    • RAM: 16GB Minimum or more
    • HDD: 240-500GB SSD for boot and 4TB HDD for storage
    • Cabinet: Please recommend a compact one
    • Monitor: Not required
    • KB/Mouse: Not required
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • No upgrade plans
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Local vendor if they have stock
  7. Would you consider buying a second-hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Need a system to run 3 non-critical VM's for a client. Would prefer to have dual SSD's in RAID-1 for boot if possible.
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • N/A
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • None
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. N/A
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Proxmox or XenServer

What hypervisor?
In general, I would prefer (and do use) Intel for any virtualization work
KVMs are in general more prone to issues/ seg faults with AMD than Intel although the situation may be different for other options

What hypervisor?
In general, I would prefer (and do use) Intel for any virtualization work
KVMs are in general more prone to issues/ seg faults with AMD than Intel although the situation may be different for other options
I am planning on using either XenServer or Proxmox.

I use proxmox to host 5VMs for home usage.
The Requirement isnt particularly resource intensive and the setup was running on an old i3-4130 /24GB for many years.

I recently switched over to a i3-10100/32GB setup.. No complaints

I have had some major issues with AMD and proxmox in the past..
Having said that, it's possible that many of the microcode issues / other incompatibilities may have been sorted out..
Ryzen will surely return better VFM than Intel .. but do run a few searches to see if there still are issues. E.g. searching for AMD and proxmox shows quite a few threads with some users reporting problems with Ryzen (and also the reason why I selected Intel again for the recent upgrade)
I am planning on using either XenServer or Proxmox.

For vms, try to swipe in as much as ram and you are good with the setup.
I still have I7 first gen with 18gb ram and easily fire my vmcentre with 8vms + host with another vm setup on an old amd phenom having 10gb ram with 5 vms + host os.

Common... switch to kvm already. Oh! proxmox is kvm. but I say just go with ubuntu or something like that.
to be honest, i haven't done much with kvm on amd but, hyperv at home runs just fine with threadripper.

Back