CPU/Mobo Need Advice: Budget PC (<25K)

Hi Guys

Need help with a budget PC config for a friend.

Budget: Upto Rs. 25K

Usage: Basic stuff - Surfing, MS-Office, No gaming - He uses a laptop for his work, This PC will be used by his mom.

Should last atleast 5 years for the aforementioned usage. (I know it sounds ridiculous but he's like that..he's upgrading from P-1 :ashamed: )

Config to include: UPS, Low-end speakers

Pls generously pour in your suggestions :)

You don't even have to spend 25k if you are ready to buy second hand.

For very basic computing purposes, even an AMD 3000+ and 512mb RAM is more than enough. I see lots of these on sale in the market section :)

Ya I know, even I'm using a 3000+ Venice for now but the thing is that in all probability, this new system will not be upgraded in next 3-4 years. And investing in a single core CPU might not be the best idea.

Am looking more on the lines of an X2 3600 or if possible, an X2 3800. Not looking at seconds, only brand new stuff.

X2 3600+ Brisbane-----3.5k

ASUS M2n- MX Mobo---3.5k

2 X 512 MB DDR2 533 Transcend---3k

160GB Seagate SATA2 7200.9---2.5k

Iball Smart Power 630 UPS---1.8k

LG H42N DVD RW---1.6k

viewsonic 17" LCD---8.5k

Creative Stereo Speakers---0.4k

iball Grabbit Cabinet +SMPS--1.6k

Kbd+ Mouse---0.7k

Total is around 26k.....overshhots a budget by little.But for the above usage should last 4-5 yrs easily.

Hey thanx Supra..This looks good..Didn't think that an LCD could be included within that budget.. :)

The prices look much lower than what I had expected? Are you sure about 'em especially the proccy & the RAM?

Which is Viewsonic LCD is that btw Supra?

Ram will be max 3.3k and CPU is after AMD price cut i think.Should be no more than 4k.

Yeah I got 2 such mobo + CPU +ram combos very recently. Infact for Dynet RAM its arnd 2.8k....if u buy a single 1 GB stick its arnd 2.7k

As of the LCD , the model no is most probably VA703wb.There is another model VA1712...its quoted as 8750 in computer warehouse...SP Road prices in bangalore are usually 300-400 bucks lower.

Cool! I'll go check prices at Nehru Place tomorrow. Still amazed at reading the X2 3600's price. I remember getting it for a friend in Sept. for 6K+ and that was the one with 512KB L2 cache.
Thanx again! Repping you!

@Ambar - Isn't the price cut planned for late April? :huh:

EDIT: TechEnclave Community Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Supra again.

Yeah the prices cuts has been too much..

On Feb 2nd week got X2 3600+ Brisbane(2 X 512 KB L2) for frend for 5400, again in March 2nd week got another Brisbane for 4400......finally last week got 1 more X2 3600+ for 3300.....that turned out to be a Windsor( 2 X 256KB).....this week got another Brisbane for 3.5k.....so some people are dumping the Windsors for little less it seems. I didn't notice the cache while getting it by mistake. Later got a replacement Brisbane by paying 200 bucks more lol....so check the cache size while buying the X2 3600+, its 640KB + 640KB operating at 1900 Mhz(wriitten on the green sticker on the side) compared to 384KB + 284KB operating at 2000Mhz for Windsor

Yeah it is cheaper....processor pricing by both Intel & AMD has always been fabulous in India....guess its because shipping frm Malaysia to India is cheaper than Malaysia to USA :p

Udit said:
get a APC Back-UPS ES 500VA for 2.4k as I-Ball UPS are horrible
Ya even I have the same and is very good. Will see if I can fit it within this budget. Thanx

akshitmohan said:
Brisbane X2 3600 + for 3.5k ? That's cheaper than newegg !
Indian price is not cheaper yaar. Newegg has it for $69.

Supra said:
so check the cache size while buying the X2 3600+, its 640KB + 640KB operating at 1900 Mhz(wriitten on the green sticker on the side) compared to 384KB + 284KB operating at 2000Mhz for Windsor
Will do. Thanx :)

^^Well yeah..

Damn! This makes this purchase at 3.5K all the more sweeter..Only if I had an AM2-socket mobo, I'd have upgraded my 3000 Venice too! :p

If u did see that thread properly , u must have noticed the pricing given there as well :p

AMD X2 3600 - $69

That rounds to arnd 3200 , putting in the VAT...its almost as same as the current price. GOD knows what will happen after the April 9 cuts...I guess the price will remain almost same

Back