Need advice for DNS problem with newly registered domain

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Hey folks... I have a DNS problem with my newly registered domain. Anyone can advise how long it takes for TLD servers to refresh their records of my domain registrar NS records? Is it 2 or 3 days like suggest by googling?

Sad story follows...

What happened was a few days ago I registered a domain with aws route 53 service and it was resolving fine then like an idiot I tried to tinker with the zones by changing the NS records to linode NS servers and then to come back to AWS I deleted the zone and created new one which has different NS records.

Now after some investigation it appears that the TLD root servers for my domain still holding the old NS servers and these are returning REFUSED error code when lookup my domain name.

As a result a normal lookup which hits say public google or cloudflare DNS servers they return SERVFAIL error code as a result of the old AWS servers return refused error.

‍♂ So that's my sob story... I'm currently going to wait another day or 2 but if it doesn't start working is there any way to flush the TLD servers to pick up my current NS records?

Thanks!

Yes I had tried this anyway even though the Problem isn't with the downstream servers like Google. It's the root servers of the TLD that have cached the NS records which like a total n00b moron I went and deleted the zone in AWS and created new zone which has different NS authority servers hardcoded/fixed for my domain. As of now still not expired and refreshed the correct records. I'll wait for another day before starting to panic lol.

This is AWS we're talking about here. It's paid support not included with the basic registrar and DNS lol but I'll see about posting in their community forum.

So it's working now and of course it was my fault.

It turned out to be the stale authoritative name server records were left in the "domains" section of the route53 aws page which I failed to look at, didn't even realise until I opened a support ticket and they sent steps to follow.

I was only looking at the "hosted zones" section. Here you need to just check the NS records are matching up in the hosted zone info and the records entries, which it should be on its own.

Then you need to open the domains section and look at the NS records entries and edit them to match the entries you just checked in the hosted zone. This is the part I was missing.

After I fixed these entries the DNS records propagated within a few minutes (at least to google and cloudflare public DNS) even though the support ticket response mentioned to wait anywhere from 2 to 24 hours.

Oh and when I went to create a support ticket the main page is a bit misleading and discouraging saying you need paid support tier for technical issues but you can just open the basic support ticket category and choose account or billing issue category which has a subcategory for domain registration issues where I was able to explain my problem and received a response within a day.

Back