Budget 51-70k Need advice for Laptop selection under 70k

irfanlai

Adept
Hi,

I am planning to buy a laptop this month. So please guide me with some good suggestions.

My requirement :-
Usage - Gaming, Surfing, Movies and using MS Office
Screen - 15 and FHD
Processor - 3rd Gen i5 or i7
Ram - 8 GB
HDD - 1 TB
Dedicated graphic card 1GB or more
Brand preference - Dell

I have selected these 2 models and confused with the touch screen laptop.

Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo laptop | Dell India
Inspiron 15z Ultrabook? details | Dell India

My doubts :
1. Is is worth going for touch screen laptops.
2. I am thinking of getting Bluray drive in place DVD RW, will it be a good choice. Will normal CD/DVD work in Bluray drive
3. What is the HD resolution I should consider. (1920x1080) or (1366 x 768)
4. Will it be good if I go with SSD.
4. If I consider other brands i came across these 2 "Thinkpad X1 Carbon" and "ASUS ZENBOOK Touch UX31A". Are they available in India and where can I check them out.

Pour in your valuable advice, I have a week to decide.

Today planning to check the Dell and Lenova models at reliance Digital.

Need inputs on the touch screen feature and HD resolution. Please suggest.

Yesterday I went to Reliance Digital at Vashi. I checked various laptops. Tried the Sony touch screen laptop, FAIL so out of consideration.

Then I committed a SIN...I went where all Apple products where kept....and I saw MacBook Air.........:scared14::scared14::scared14:
MacBook Air is the most amazing machine I have seen...sleek...sexy....super hot...The ligtest Ultrabook I checked out
Then it was like a magnetic field there...I kept on coming back and admire the Air beauty...:hail::hail:

Now seriously considering 3 options go for Dell 15R Turbo or Lenova Y500 or Macbook Air...but
If I go for Air then budget goes up...in which I could buy a decent phone
I will have to sacrifice the screen size.....15 to 13
Sacrifice gaming....was planing to play NFS, POP and Crysis....I don't think all such games are available for MAC OS and also if the hardware is supported
I will have to buy external DVD drive
Will require External HDD
No Windows

So now confused....:annoyed:

Yesterday I went to Reliance Digital at Vashi. I checked various laptops. Tried the Sony touch screen laptop, FAIL so out of consideration.

Then I committed a SIN...I went where all Apple products where kept....and I saw MacBook Air.........:scared14::scared14::scared14:
MacBook Air is the most amazing machine I have seen...sleek...sexy....super hot...The ligtest Ultrabook I checked out
Then it was like a magnetic field there...I kept on coming back and admire the Air beauty...:hail::hail:

Now seriously considering 3 options go for Dell 15R Turbo or Lenova Y500 or Macbook Air...but
If I go for Air then budget goes up...in which I could buy a decent phone
I will have to sacrifice the screen size.....15 to 13
Sacrifice gaming....was planing to play NFS, POP and Crysis....I don't think all such games are available for MAC OS and also if the hardware is supported
I will have to buy external DVD drive
Will require External HDD
No Windows

So now confused....:annoyed:

Apple wont suit you based on your usage pattern. You should buy a regular laptop, and i suggest -Go for the Lenovo

Mostly decided Lenovo Y500....Checked at their Vashi outlet and its not available. Pricing is around 65k...
Can anyone tell me where can I check this in blood and from where I should buy.... Flipkart is charging 2k more....i.e 67k and is out of stock

@irfanlai 66k at Mahim iZone-Lenovo store. Its nowhere on display.

I too had my eye on this beauty but could not find this at a non Lenovo store. Plus I feel that Kepler maybe faster, but since I do not have any need for gaming, looking at buying a Intel IGP based laptop.

Would suggest to speak to croma and get it from them if possible. they currently have a offer of 500GB Seagate USB3.0 HDD OR a AIO for free on laptop purchases of 45K+. They have the Z500 which looks awesome.

I too liked the macbook air. Then saw the keyboard, or more actually the lack of the number keys and the small arrow keys. Dropped the plan :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Also, there are no demos anywhere, AFAIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
@samiryadav Thanks...but not interested in 17 and it will increase weight also...

@vivek.krishnan Thanks for informing about the offer, I was looking for some offers.....I had called iZone and they said no units for display till now....you have to order....
What is Kepler?
Should I call Croma on their toll free number and ask them to arrange the lappy, will they do it?
Where did you checked the offer of 500GB HDD online or some chroma store?

I am still confused to go with which lapptop Lenovo Y500 or Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo
http://www.dell.com/in/p/inspiron-15r-se-7520/pd?oc=v540719in8&model_id=inspiron-15r-se-7520

@samiryadav Thanks...but not interested in 17 and it will increase weight also...

@vivek.krishnan Thanks for informing about the offer, I was looking for some offers.....I had called iZone and they said no units for display till now....you have to order....
What is Kepler?
Should I call Croma on their toll free number and ask them to arrange the lappy, will they do it?

I am still confused to go with which lapptop Lenovo Y500 or Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo
Dell Inspiron 15R Turbo laptop | Dell India

bro if i suggest,if you can wait ,wait until haswell rolls out.prices will fall and new options will be available.wait until April if you can

Thanks for informing about the offer, I was looking for some offers.....I had called iZone and they said no units for display till now....you have to order....
What is Kepler?

Kepler - nVIDIA's 6XX series of GPUs. AFAIK, there are no display units anywhere, so you will need to order one.

Croma has the offer in their stores, so have a visit. I shall be ordering the Z500 today. PM me if you need me to check.

@vivek.krishnan Your inbox is full.....

Yes dude please check for Y500 and by when they are bringing it for sale....Just check for how long the HDD offer will be...

From which Croma store you are buying?

bro if i suggest,if you can wait ,wait until haswell rolls out.prices will fall and new options will be available.wait until April if you can

Really? When did you see intel's last gen products' prices fall? Rather the newer will be priced upwards.

@vivek.krishnan Your inbox is full.....

Yes dude please check for Y500 and by when they are bringing it for sale....Just check for how long the HDD offer will be...

From which Croma store you are buying?

A word of advice, do your proper research before buying Y500. Most of them are coming with faulty touchpads, all elan, not synaptic. Plus not all models are full hd.

Really? When did you see intel's last gen products' prices fall? Rather the newer will be priced upwards.

bro i haven't purchased any laptop for past 1.5 years so unable to comment on your post.
but last time i checked,on launch of 2nd gen Intel core i7 laptops,the first gen got cheaper by 3000-5000.

also ,i would like to add ,
taking HP dv6 series and i7 models as reference,

model with i7-720qm , i7-2720qm , i7-3720qm
all were launched with suggested retail price of 62k-64k.

Well even I had an eye on prices, and can say for sure that launch hardly affected the previous gen price, may be ~5%, especially when 3rd gen was launched. Can't day exact about first gen. Majority of the price cuts are due to the usual reason, not due to older gen. But if stocks are old enough or start to pile up, then price cut is seen, which is evident now a days.

After doing all research on Y500 and Z500...I bought Z500 from Croma Store for 51K and got Seagate Backup Plus 500 GB HDD free...

Not used much till now...pics coming up soon in Show Off thread....

Thanks everyone for their inputs....special thanks to @vivek.krishnan for his advice and letting me know the HDD offer in Croma....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back