Adept
Ok..

My friend had bought a new pc recently. here is the config

Intel corei5 2500k

Mobo : asus p8z67 V (for 12600 rupees)

PSU : Seasonic 650Watts

RAM : Corsair rip jaws 4GB 1600Mhz

and etc etc

The PC ran fine for 1 day and after that the processor went kaput. There was this memOK light continuously blinking on the mobo. At first we thought that the RAM was the problem. But ruled that out as they were working fine in my pc. Next suspect was the SMPS which also worked fine. Then took it to the Asus service center where they found that processor was faulty as it was not working on any other board and other processors were working fine on this board.(although they didn't have another corei5 2500k processor with them at that time) They said to give the processor to the Intel guys and get it replaced.

Then the processor was given for replacement to intel guys, and the same processor came back by courier stating that it was not faulty. But the pc didn't start up.

Again went back to Asus SVC. There they again found out the processor is faulty. And this time with the help of them we gave it to Intel guys again, and this time we got a new processor.

This new proccy worked when i was testing the proccy with motherboard before assembling the PC to just test the new proccy. But after assembling the pc, the pc failed to boot. Again memOK button was glowing. On net found several posts about this mother board having faulty the RAM slots. Suspecting this again went to Asus SVC and blasted them. This time they said they will take motherboard,proccy and SMPS for inspection and find out what's the fault.

Now after 2 weeks they called up and say that they are ready to give a new motherboard : i.e P8Z77-M-Pro. instead of the old P8Z68-V.

On asking the SVC guy about the processor, whether that will be replaced or not, as it was faulted by the motherboard two times. They said they will get back to me after some-time.

So please suggest guys should i go for the new motherboard and also insist on the new proccy, or go for old proccy as long as it is working fine.? or this mobo is not good as compared to the old one.?

So please suggest guys should i go for the new motherboard and also insist on the new proccy, or go for old proccy as long as it is working fine.? or this mobo is not good as compared to the old one.?

I think you should take up ASUS on the offer for the Z77 based replacement they are willing to give to you, it has a few features that are not available on the Z68 chipset --
  • Native support for USB 3.0 and SAT III, so better transfer speeds.
  • Lucid Virtu II, hopefully better virtual graphics and bug free.
  • PCIe 3.0 x16 slot for whatever it is worth.
  • A frugal footprint as compared to the Z68 chipset with similar OR slightly better over-clocking performance.

Test the old Intel Core i5 2500k on this new board, if it functions fine well sit back and relax. But if the processor acts up again, follow these steps --
  • Run Memtest 86+ v4.20 overnight to completely rule out any memory slots.
  • Run the faulty processor on your RIG for ~2 --> 3 days to rule out faulty motherboard.

If none other systems show up RED, plaster the Intel area manager for pathetic services. More importantly leave a message on their fb page, see how they react.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

I think you should take up ASUS on the offer for the Z77 based replacement they are willing to give to you, it has a few features that are not available on the Z68 chipset --
  • Native support for USB 3.0 and SAT III, so better transfer speeds.
  • Lucid Virtu II, hopefully better virtual graphics and bug free.
  • PCIe 3.0 x16 slot for whatever it is worth.
  • A frugal footprint as compared to the Z68 chipset with similar OR slightly better over-clocking performance.

Test the old Intel Core i5 2500k on this new board, if it functions fine well sit back and relax. But if the processor acts up again, follow these steps --
  • Run Memtest 86+ v4.20 overnight to completely rule out any memory slots.
  • Run the faulty processor on your RIG for ~2 --> 3 days to rule out faulty motherboard.

If none other systems show up RED, plaster the Intel area manager for pathetic services. More importantly leave a message on their fb page, see how they react.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Thanks... The dealer has agreed to give the new motherboard. And also agreed to help in the processor replacement with intel guys. Will get back after we get the new proccy and mobo.

You gave in a full ATX board, ask them for a full ATX replacement not a m-ATX replacement.

A P8Z77-V is what you should be getting back.

Back