[Need Advice] : Installing Win 7 x64 on E8400, MSI G31 M3-L V2

mk76

Adept
I am not sure if this should come under OS or the Mobo corner.

Finally I downloaded Win7 64bit.

When I tried to install through VMware I got the error "Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode".

I searched google and found that I have to enable virtualization in the bios. However I could not find any setting in the bios. My mobo is MSI G31 M3-L V2 and CPU is E8400.

I am not sure if I need to upgrade the bios or does the mobo/cpu does not support.

So need advice on the same.

SOLVED -

I was using old version of VMWARE. Once I downloaded the latest trial. I was able to install 64bit Win7 ultimate.

I dug through lot of information for this :). Sharing with a wider audience

Click here to find what is x86 virtualization? and what it means for intel and amd?

Click here for a list(not comprehensive) of intel processors that support virtualization

Click here to find out the Hardware and Firmware requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

And finally ...
Click here in case you want to check whether in your case if VT-x is Enabled and Locked at Boot.

PS
@Mods - I am not able to change the title. Would like to prefix "[Solved]" to it

Thanks for this thread, guys...I am trying to find a compatible rig for Windows 7 x64, and am way out of my league here. I don't know where to start with the requirements, so these links are a BIG help!

Back