PC Peripherals Need Advice on Buying a Power Supply for My PC

Hi Members,
I have a Intel Core 2 Duo Desktop PC with the e7400 series motherboard and an COOLERMASTER XTREME 500w PSU powering my Sapphire ATI 4850 card on a 19 inch viewsonic lcd monitor

Off late, My CPU light turns Yellow when it turns on and I am unable to boot to the Windows screen, I can see the monitor light flashing and even the DVD Writer is ejecting but my pc is not turning on. One of my friends looked into my pc and advised that it could be due to the PSU.

I bought this Coolermaster Xtreme 500w PSU 2 years ago and all went fine until now!

If the problem is really with my PSU then which is the best CPU that I can buy for the above configuration on a budget of INR 4000 to INR 5000.

I wanted to buy Corsair VX450 but it is not available online, Any Suggestions on a good PSU in the budget of 4k to 5k INR ?

And also is the above problem due to the PSU only or it can be any other factor too ?

Awaiting your replies

Peace

Maverick

If you want to buy PSU, its recommended to buy PSU with high capacity if in future you will assembly some hardware inside your PC. Usually, recommended PSU is 650 watt.

Thanks a lot Tech PC & baccilus for your quick replies.

Corsair GS600 is being sold for over Rs 5000 on ebay.in - Any other website where i can order it for a lesser price ? or any other PSU apart from it that you can recommend ?

Thanks a lot Tech PC & baccilus for your quick replies.

Corsair GS600 is being sold for over Rs 5000 on ebay.in - Any other website where i can order it for a lesser price ? or any other PSU apart from it that you can recommend ?

Check the power requirement of your computer here:
extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

factor what you will upgrade to in the near future and add about 20% as margin of safety.

I dont think you need a 600W PSU. You should be well covered with a seasonic S12II 520W ~4000 or even S12II 430W ~ 3000

Hi XtremeGuy,

I looked online for the Antec VP650 at flipkart and ebay but i couldnt find it, Do you have any links where i can buy this PSU online?

ALPHA17 - Thanks a lot for sending the online links for the Corsair PSU

I looked online for the Antec VP650 at flipkart and ebay but i couldnt find it, Do you have any links where i can buy this PSU online?

it is going to be available on Flipkart very soon. Just give them your email address they will notify u by email very soon.

Here is the link: Antec VP650P 650 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

BTW good choice for Antec PSU. I am also using the same.....Excellent performance!!

BTW good choice for Antec PSU. I am also using the same.....Excellent performance!!

It has lesser warranty cover than the Corsair CX series, sorry I will pass; @maverick_12210 it will be much better if you go for a Corsair GS500W over an Antec product simply because the former has better after sales support than Antec (as far as I have heard).

Any way that you can substantiate the claim of 'excellent performance'?

The Corsair GS500W has got a well deserved Silver rating for its 'performance' --> http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-GS500-Power-Supply-Review/1571.

Last edited by a moderator:
it will be much better if you go for a Corsair GS500W over an Antec product simply because the former has better after sales support than Antec (as far as I have heard).

Well...Sorry bro that you had problems in Antec. I feel im lucky that i never faced any such after sales service with my Antec PSU. Also believe in what you see than what you hear....:director:

Cheers....!!

it will be much better if you go for a Corsair GS500W over an Antec product simply because the former has better after sales support than Antec (as far as I have heard).
Is A.S.S more important than quality of a product?
Corsair has only junk in the low-end segment these days.

The GS series is just an overrated CX unit (1st page of the HWsecrets review says that).
Teapo caps on secondary side? Now that corsair warranty seems necessary!

Any way that you can substantiate the claim of 'excellent performance'?

The Corsair GS500W has got a well deserved Silver rating for its 'performance' --> Corsair GS500 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets.
Antec VP450 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
A well deserved GOLDEN rating for the inferior FSP platform.
I wonder what the better Delta platform (Antec Basiq VP550P 550 W Review | techPowerUp) would have got!

In any case, I would look at a HCG 520 instead of a VP650P => Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520 SMPS . Buy Best Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520 SMPS at Lowest Price Online
Or a Seasonic S12II 520
Or if you must have Corsair, then TX650

Is A.S.S more important than quality of a product?
Corsair has only junk in the low-end segment these days.

The GS series is just an overrated CX unit (1st page of the HWsecrets review says that).
Teapo caps on secondary side? Now that corsair warranty seems necessary!

Antec VP450 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
A well deserved GOLDEN rating for the inferior FSP platform.
I wonder what the better Delta platform (Antec Basiq VP550P 550 W Review | techPowerUp) would have got!

If one page of Hardware Secrets says so, why don't you read the review I have linked in the same post.

Secondly after sales is a very crude barometer for the penetration of the product in the market, the Corsair and Cooler Master SMPS have an edge here. That does not mean I recommend the Cooler Master eXtreme Pro series OR Corsair VS450W for people on a budget. I have never seen Antec products in most cities, in Bangalore they were present but only the High Current Gamer series.

Availability is a prime motive for purchase, will you buy a DFI Lanparty motherboard in India?

If one page of Hardware Secrets says so, why don't you read the review I have linked in the same post.
I read it.
It does well, but the cost cutting is evident.
Even the Antec received a higher rating.
Is there something specific you wanted me to see?

Don't forget that Corsair started with the excellently built Seasonic S12II based VX450.
Is their current entry level worth comparing?

Availability is a prime motive for purchase
Not for me.
will you buy a DFI Lanparty motherboard in India?
And will you believe I have owned 2 DFI boards?
Not a single 'widely available' Asus board in my PC history.

Anyway, I said he can get a TX650 v2 if he wants Corsair.
But with the Corsair GS, if I were him, I'd instead pick a better quality unit (better platform, better capacitors) with the assumption that a good product should not breakdown and need A.S.S, right?

Not for me.

And will you believe I have owned 2 DFI boards?
Not a single 'widely available' Asus board in my PC history.

Anyway, I said he can get a TX650 v2 if he wants Corsair.
But with the Corsair GS, if I were him, I'd instead pick a better quality unit (better platform, better capacitors) with the assumption that a good product should not breakdown and need A.S.S, right?

Cost cutting is everywhere, Seasonic for one have been world renowned for their sub-par after sales service not just in India, visit newegg and read consumer testimonials. And they are not priced at the magic points they were earlier, the Seasonic S12II520W costs ~4200/- [from Prime ABGB, The ITWares].

Maybe you had the option and would do so again, unfortunately not everyone has the same choice. Consider yourself lucky from that point of view, having the knowledge and capacity to choose one over the other.

The TX v2650W goes slightly overboard of OP's budget but I completely agree that it is the best choice.

If you are assuming that all the components share the same OEM you are mistaken, the Cooler Master GX550W / 650W / 750W were widely decried as old-designs with a new packaging, inefficient and incapable they were in supplying their stated outputs. But the GX450W is completely different to its 'senior' brethren it bagged a few well deserved accolades for its performance.

Seasonic for one have been world renowned for their sub-par after sales service not just in India. And they are not priced at the magic points they were earlier, the Seasonic S12II520W costs ~4200/- [from Prime ABGB, The ITWares].
How many PSUs are there for 4k that are built better than the S12 II 520?

Why are you recommending a PSU with a negative outlook that it IS going to fail and he WILL need service?
Your product recommendation seems entirely based on service >> performance.
It shouldn't matter if its a brand called V-Suck, as long as there's a reliable design under the hood.

Yes Seasonics have bad QC, which mostly results in DOA units as evident from newegg feedback.
DOA is handled by your dealer, not Seasonic.
The HCG 520 is a better Seasonic option since Antecs QC is better.
And guess what the TX650 V2 is based on and how much more it costs?

The TX v2650W goes slightly overboard of OP's budget but I completely agree that it is the best choice.
Glad we agree.
Unfortunately the TX650V2 is the cheapest, proper quality Corsair.
If you want the best of both worlds, Corsair wants you to pay for it.

If you are assuming that all the components share the same OEM you are mistaken, the Cooler Master GX550W / 650W / 750W were widely decried as old-designs with a new packaging, inefficient and incapable they were in supplying their stated outputs. But the GX450W is completely different to its 'senior' brethren it bagged a few well deserved accolades for its performance.
If you're referring to the VP450, VP550, VP650 , as I already stated before the VP450P is a lower grade FSP platform (which still got a golden rating), while the VP550 and 650 are the better Delta platform.
On a side note, the coolermaster rep had posted somewhere here saying the GX550 and above have been updated to the same platform as the 450.

Consider yourself lucky from that point of view, having the knowledge and capacity to choose one over the other.
I consider not relying on RMA for any component to be common sense rather than luck.
And other than hard disks, I have never used RMA.

There's a feedback thread with a bunch of happy people saying they got their shiny new replacement corsairs, but none of them have even stopped to ask why it failed in the first place.

How many PSUs are there for 4k that are built better than the S12 II 520?

I consider not relying on RMA for any component to be common sense rather than luck.
And other than hard disks, I have never used RMA.

It no longer retails for that low a price, it has breached the ~4500/- mark on most online retail sites (not just flipkart.com).

Next thing, I will reiterate you have been lucky that you never ended up with lemons. You think I am looking at them that they will fail but I am not, just that I prefer being cautious. You do not buy an Opel in India, no matter how reliable and well engineered they are, that is what my line of thought is here.

Anyways I get tired of sparring with you, every time you seem be picking on my ' posts which recommend shenzi stuff to the people in need'. Let OP get whatever you recommend I am wrong, so I will just leave this discussion.

P.S. -- Sanket (Cooler Master REP) has told me that when we met last time so I know about the upgrade in the OEM but I would rather have solid proof that things have moved from what they were with the older GX series in a re-review of the new GX v2 series if you please.

It no longer retails for that low a price, it has breached the ~4500/- mark on most online retail sites (not just flipkart.com).
4.2k, 4.5k... never mind these price differences, just spill out some models that are a better design than the S12II 520 at WHATEVER price its selling for!!
Apart from the VP550P which is out of stock everywhere, I could not find convincing options.

I said the GS500 is not the best quality unit at its price, and thats it.
I find it odd that you think great after sales can compensate for the GS500 when it clearly has teapo caps on its secondary which are bound to fail.
Atleast have the decency to tell the OP you're recommending 'lemon flavoured' models.

PS. Opel reliable and well engineered? Good thing this isn't an automotive forum.

PPS. GX series was brought up randomly by you for god-knows-what, and you're still giving me some big explanation about it.
I never asked, I dont care. Did you forget your A.D.D medication?

Back