Graphic Cards Need Advice on Cabinet & PSU for Sapphire 4850

I finally bought a Sapphire 4850 512 mb from Bhumika Computers in CTC, Hyderabad, surprisingly it costed me Rs 7350 (350 more than Lynx-india & Techshop.in), since the Gigabyte Superb 460w was out of stock the dealer gave me a Coolermaster eXtreme 500w PSU & told me that you can get it replaced once the Gigabyte Superb 460w is back in stock.

My Q is How is the CoolerMaster eXtreme 500w psu for a 4850 & Intel Core2 Duo E7400 with 4 gb ram & DG31PR Motherboard? should i get it replaced with the Gigabyte Superb 460w ?

Plus I have a Zebronics Hawai Cabinet, after installing the 4850 card , the space has got pretty cramped up? will it have any affects like Overheating of the GFX card or motherboard meltdown? should i go for a bigger cabinet ?? or should i continue since i am not planning to upgrade atleast in the next 6 months.

Please reply soon

Thanks

Maverick_12210

Plus should i continue using the CM eXtreme 500w PSU or get it exchanged once Gigabyte Superb 460w is back in stock ?

I would recommend you to get it replaced with gigabyte 460w. cm is crap. Check your gpu and cpu temps at load and decide(use gpu-z and coretemp). Heat does have an effect on components life time, but nothing will melt :). If you plan to get a new cabinet, I would strongly recommend one, try getting one of coolermaster 33x for 2200 or 310 for around 1800.

Mate,
Stick to coolermaster 500 ! no problems with same until you stick to a dual core rig & a graphic card up to 4850 ! Should Eaisly power even a Overcloked E7400 & 4850 with host of other components.

Relax ! :p Also there wont be so much of heating that it should cause meltdown your mobo,

Enjoy your gaming .

tosh79 said:
Mate,
Stick to coolermaster 500 ! no problems with same until you stick to a dual core rig & a graphic card up to 4850 ! Should Eaisly power even a Overcloked E7400 & 4850 with host of other components.

Relax ! :p Also there wont be so much of heating that it should cause meltdown your mobo,

Enjoy your gaming .

Don't misguide people to gamble with their gfx.

CM extreme power is crap. It will not only go down itself but will take your gfx with it.

Its not at all recommended for ATI 4850.

CM Elite 334 - 2.2k
CM 590 - 4k

Despite we all discussing the bads of coolermaster Xtreme power PSUs it was your hasty decision to accept it. Now see what excuses he will give u once u go and try to replace it with Giga Superb/any psu/anything! I say just return the PSU if possible and get Seasonic 380W or better Corsair VX450 online! I wonder what stops u buying online from reputed online dealers here in TE?? Zebronics Hawai is a good spacious server grade cabinet, upgrading to fancy cabinets is waste of money imo. Get some good fans, cable ties, do some extensive cable management, u'll be all set. if u still want to buy a new cabinet then Antec 300 is best VFM with excellent front intake cooling and comes with decent stock fans. U can order it online, u wont need after sales for a cabinet.

Your cabinet:

installa.jpg

See the excellent front intake of Antec 300, it is unbeatable with Antec's build quality :baby:

antec11.jpg

maverick12210 said:
I finally bought a Sapphire 4850 512 mb from Bhumika Computers in CTC, Hyderabad, surprisingly it costed me Rs 7350 (350 more than Lynx-india & Techshop.in), since the Gigabyte Superb 460w was out of stock the dealer gave me a Coolermaster eXtreme 500w PSU & told me that you can get it replaced once the Gigabyte Superb 460w is back in stock.

My Q is How is the CoolerMaster eXtreme 500w psu for a 4850 & Intel Core2 Duo E7400 with 4 gb ram & DG31PR Motherboard? should i get it replaced with the Gigabyte Superb 460w ?

Plus I have a Zebronics Hawai Cabinet, after installing the 4850 card , the space has got pretty cramped up? will it have any affects like Overheating of the GFX card or motherboard meltdown? should i go for a bigger cabinet ?? or should i continue since i am not planning to upgrade atleast in the next 6 months.

Please reply soon

Thanks

Maverick_12210

Plus should i continue using the CM eXtreme 500w PSU or get it exchanged once Gigabyte Superb 460w is back in stock ?

You can continue using the PSU as its more than sufficient for ur rig. And no, ur PC won't blow or ur components won't fry just coz ur using a CM xtreme PSU..
Upgrade PSU if you plan to upgrade the other components.. Replace the PSU only if you're sure the dealer will give the Gigabyte as promised, if not nothing to worry about..

You can keep this psu , many people here in this forum will bash extreme power series psu since they have seen some threads on forums where these psu have blown components , but they dont know that your psu is not of extreme power series but of newer extreme power plus series , do correct me if i am wrong .

If you are keeping this processor then no problem at all . I am using the same psu from last 5-6 months and specs are as follows . E7500 @ 3.5ghz, 2*2=4gb ddr 800 , 2 hdds , 1 200mm fan , 2 120mm fans , pinnacle tv pci tuner , asus xonar dx and now a hd4770 and everything runs fine even on maximum load .

I had even tried my friends 4870 for a month but was afraid to test anymore since people started to complain but however it worked very well with normal temps .

Regarding the temps , the 4850 is known for its high temps . Try increasing the fan speed if the temps are more then 75-78c on load . BTW you should have gone with 4770 instead on 4850 . Not much of a difference and runs much cooler and consumes less power .

maverick12210 said:

Please reply soon

Thanks

Maverick_12210

Ideally, get the CM 500 replaced with the Superb, even better, chip in a bit more and get the Seasonic 380W.

Avoid/replace the DG31PR Intel board and get a Gigabyte G31M ES2L, you owe it to your E7400...
I don't see an immediate need to upgrade the cabinet. As long as your 4850 is dual-slot, you shoudn't have many problems.

If he has the ones listed in red he should change, other wise he is fine.

Cooler Master
http://www.coolermaster.com/

• OEM: Unknown

eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 ~NG

eXtreme Power Plus RS-600-PCAR-E3 ~NG

eXtreme Power Plus RS-650-PCAR-E3 ~NG

Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ~27A

• OEM: Hipro

eXtreme Power RS-380-PMSR/PMSP ~10A

eXtreme Power RS-430-PMSP ~14A

eXtreme Power RS-430-PMSR/P ~19A

• OEM: AcBel

eXtreme Power RS-380-PCAR/PCAP ~25A

eXtreme Power RS-380-PMAR/PMAP ~25A

eXtreme Power RS-430-PCAR/PCAP ~29A

eXtreme Power RS-430-PMAR/PMAP ~32A

eXtreme Power Plus RS-390-PMSR/PMSP-A3 ~18A

eXtreme Power Plus RS-400-PCAR/PCAP-A3 ~23A

eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PMSR/PMSP-A3 ~26A

eXtreme Power Plus RS-460-PCAR/PCAP-A3 ~26A

eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR/PCAP-A3 ~30A

sathyanaidu said:
You can continue using the PSU as its more than sufficient for ur rig. And no, ur PC won't blow or ur components won't fry just coz ur using a CM xtreme PSU..

Upgrade PSU if you plan to upgrade the other components.. Replace the PSU only if you're sure the dealer will give the Gigabyte as promised, if not nothing to worry about..

Anubis said:
Don't misguide people to gamble with their gfx.

CM extreme power is crap. It will not only go down itself but will take your gfx with it.

Its not at all recommended for ATI 4850.

CM Elite 334 - 2.2k
CM 590 - 4k

Mate,

I am not misguiding any body! I am only advicing the OP based on my experience of Close to a Year, I have used an E7200 Overcloked @ 3.8Ghz with Sapphire HD 4850 Oced at 700 MHZ, With 2 SATA HHD + DVD DRIVE+ 2 120 MM Cooling Fan + 1 80 MM Cooling Fan & i have used this rig for Hours at a strech without any issues what so ever.

I only recently upgraded to a Glacial power 650 AA PSU Only Becuase i upgraded to 4870 1GB & Will soon upgrade to a Quadcore Rig.

Bad PSU doesnot always mean it will eat the components within milliseconds of installing the rig, it is simple risky and will definitely increase electricity bills, since u don't have to pay ur house bills it is never mentioned by people like u, for u "If it can run it is fine" GP is better since it is made by FSP!

tosh79 said:
Mate,

I am not misguiding any body! I am only advicing the OP based on my experience of Close to a Year, I have used an E7200 Overcloked @ 3.8Ghz with Sapphire HD 4850 Oced at 700 MHZ, With 2 SATA HHD + DVD DRIVE+ 2 120 MM Cooling Fan + 1 80 MM Cooling Fan & i have used this rig for Hours at a strech without any issues what so ever.

I only recently upgraded to a Glacial power 650 AA PSU Only Becuase i upgraded to 4870 1GB & Will soon upgrade to a Quadcore Rig.

Rockfella said:
Bad PSU doesnot always mean it will eat the components within milliseconds of installing the rig, it is simple risky and will definitely increase electricity bills, since u don't have to pay ur house bills it is never mentioned by people like u, for u "If it can run it is fine" GP is better since it is made by FSP!

Mate,

I am not an fan of Coolermaster PSU's or niether i personally reccomend this to anybody, but no use scaring any body who is already using the same.

according to a comprehensive review done by http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/728/7 Cooler master 500 Watts Extreme power offers Close to 80% efficency for up to loads of 60%, So the OP's Load with the kind of setup he is running should not exceed more then that so he is fine.

Rockfella said:

OP wanted to know if the psu will work with his rig and the answer is yes . If a 2.5k psu can malfunction then so can a 10k psu . Regarding electricity bills , yes i pay my own bills and even with max load on psu , if i use it 10hrs a day , it would not make a huge difference to drain my pocket .
OP should definately replace it with the gigabyte 460 but if he cant then there is no problem . But remember even a gigabyte 460 wont suffice if you plan to upgrade to a quad core and a card higher then 4870 .

rohan_mhtr said:
OP wanted to know if the psu will work with his rig and the answer is yes . If a 2.5k psu can malfunction then so can a 10k psu . Regarding electricity bills , yes i pay my own bills and even with max load on psu , if i use it 10hrs a day , it would not make a huge difference to drain my pocket .
OP should definately replace it with the gigabyte 460 but if he cant then there is no problem . But remember even a gigabyte 460 wont suffice if you plan to upgrade to a quad core and a card higher then 4870 .

But it can suffice a quad + ATI 4870

Investing in better psu now would rip your wallet by 2k but later you'll reap the fruits of 80 % efficiency PSU in the longrun .

His pc will also work with coolermaster xtreme power or some shitty indian psu, giga superb won't suffice, his best bet is seasonic 500+ watter or corsair VX550 which is one of the best PSUs ever made. If u play demanding games 10 hours a day even then bills will be different with the psu. BTW Noone suggested a 10k PSU, also a 2.5k PSU is more prone to malfuntion instead of a 10k (since u think cost is everything) Even a Rs. 3200 seasonic 380W psu was better than what he bought. Whats the use of TE online dealers if TE members are afraid buying great products from them LMAO!

rohan_mhtr said:

Rockfella said:
His pc will also work with coolermaster xtreme power or some shitty indian psu, giga superb won't suffice, his best bet is seasonic 500+ watter or corsair VX550 which is one of the best PSUs ever made. If u play demanding games 10 hours a day even then bills will be different with the psu. BTW Noone suggested a 10k PSU, also a 2.5k PSU is more prone to malfuntion instead of a 10k (since u think cost is everything) Even a Rs. 3200 seasonic 380W psu was better than what he bought. Whats the use of TE online dealers if TE members are afraid buying great products from them LMAO!

10k psu was a figure of speach and if you think i suggested 10k psu then i dont know what to say . Price is just not the factor while purchasing hardware , hardware availability is also 1 . OP clearly mentioned that he allready has a cm500w and he asked if it suffice his needs . He has a option of replacing it with gigabyte superb which is slightly better .

So whats the fuss around , if he yet had to purchase a psu then you should advise him with some other good ones .

Now if you are asking him to buy Vx550 or seasonic 500 for a dual core and 4850 for hardware safety , well them its his choice to shell his money . Its like everyone wants to have a mercedes for a budget of a maruti .

When i was searching for a psu for my rig in the sig within 3k range , my first option was vx400 which was not available , then searched a hell lot for seasonic but some retailers didnt even know of the brand and so i had to settle for cm500w which i have tested thoroughly in the last 5-6 months and i am happy since i know i wont be upgrading soon .Similarly not every1 can purchase online .

No point posting further in this thread .

Just because u have tested it it doesnot mean ur psu is fine! If u cud not buy stuff oline it doesnot mean OP can't, btw i wonder why u have a sad smiley along with the coolermaster PSU in your siggy? :rofl:Don't worry i know ppl who used the unknown OEM CM XTreme Power 600W for 1+ years without hardware failure, yet i know ppl who lost expensive gpus because of the same psu, i tested one TE member's psu who refused to powerup on his xtreme power (with a 4850) but fired up and benched fine on my VX450W ;), Its like a gamble u know, offlate CM i guess has changed their OEM as well, so maybe u have an ACBEL one... relax :)

PS: We are ony dicsussing xtreme power series not REAL POWER etc, those are good.

rohan_mhtr said:
10k psu was a figure of speach and if you think i suggested 10k psu then i dont know what to say . Price is just not the factor while purchasing hardware , hardware availability is also 1 . OP clearly mentioned that he allready has a cm500w and he asked if it suffice his needs . He has a option of replacing it with gigabyte superb which is slightly better .

So whats the fuss around , if he yet had to purchase a psu then you should advise him with some other good ones .

Now if you are asking him to buy Vx550 or seasonic 500 for a dual core and 4850 for hardware safety , well them its his choice to shell his money . Its like everyone wants to have a mercedes for a budget of a maruti .
When i was searching for a psu for my rig in the sig within 3k range , my first option was vx400 which was not available , then searched a hell lot for seasonic but some retailers didnt even know of the brand and so i had to settle for cm500w which i have tested thoroughly in the last 5-6 months and i am happy since i know i wont be upgrading soon .Similarly not every1 can purchase online .

No point posting further in this thread .

Back