Budget 51-70k Need advice on CPU/motherboard combo for 1080p gaming

pseudo101

Recruit
  1. What is your budget?
  2. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel 12100f
    • Motherboard - Asus Prime H610M-E D4
    • GPU - Asus Dual Rx 6650XT
    • PSU - Cooler Master MWE 550W
    • RAM - Kingston 2x8gb (3200MHz)
    • Storage - SN570 500gb
    • Cabinet - MSI Mag forge
  3. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • [Read below]
  4. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online/Delhi
  5. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming [1080p targeting 60FPS]
  6. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Preference for Asus
  7. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • AAA titles/Sim racing
  8. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  9. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 11 / Linux
I only plan on gaming with the above build and believe that the 12100f is fairly capable of running current gen games (most games are GPU bound?) at my targeted resolution/fps. However, I am unsure core count will matter ahead and if it makes any sense to future proof the above build:
  1. 12100f + H610: keep as is and switch CPU/mobo completely in future.
  2. 12100f + Asus Prime B660M-A D4: upgrade to 13500 whenever I get CPU bottlenecked
  3. 5600 + Asrock B450 steel legend: Go with 6 cores now and upgrade to 5800x3d on future.
  4. None of the above?
Any new suggestions are also welcome. Thank you!

Is your budget a bit flexible? If so, increase it by 6-7k at least to avoid any future upgrade scenario to get R5 5600 + 3060 12GB. At 3060/6650XT class of GPU, 5800X3D won't help much for gaming.

3060 12GB has the advantage of extra VRAM + Nvidia's software suite (I use Nvidia broadcast a lot, DLSS 2.x is considered a bit better than FSR2 even now) but 6650XT is surely up to 10% faster. RT is not worth considering at this performance class (heck I don't use it on my 3070, unless it is a game like GotG or F1 with light RT implementation). How VRAM will help you is that even if both GPUs will run games at 1080p med after 2-3 years (or in Starfield now), but with 8GB VRAM you might be limited to med/high textures on 6650XT but can push it to high/ultra with 12GB VRAM. Higher quality textures do help with improving graphical fidelity & barely 2-3% impact on fps by increasing texture quality.

This is a possible config:

Future upgrades:
CPU cooler - Deepcool AG400/AK400
2x 8GB RAM to make it 32GB in total
More storage - Mobo has 2x M.2 storage, so can get a 1TB Gen4 drive in future for primary slot & maybe more 2.5" SSD or 3.5" HDD based on your needs

Is your budget a bit flexible? If so, increase it by 6-7k at least to avoid any future upgrade scenario to get R5 5600 + 3060 12GB. At 3060/6650XT class of GPU, 5800X3D won't help much for gaming.

3060 12GB has the advantage of extra VRAM + Nvidia's software suite (I use Nvidia broadcast a lot, DLSS 2.x is considered a bit better than FSR2 even now) but 6650XT is surely up to 10% faster. RT is not worth considering at this performance class (heck I don't use it on my 3070, unless it is a game like GotG or F1 with light RT implementation).
I was about to mention similarly, when I had that budget I tried to fit in a 6750xt when there was an offer for it but 6650xt should hold its own for the CPU combo. For AMD CPU and MB just have to be careful with the BIOS updated firmware for compatibility I guess. When I looked at cheaper MBs that released during the 3000 series etc I had to call the seller to ask if they can make sure it's updated. In the end I just upped my budget and got something else entirely

I was about to mention similarly, when I had that budget I tried to fit in a 6750xt when there was an offer for it but 6650xt should hold its own for the CPU combo. For AMD CPU and MB just have to be careful with the BIOS updated firmware for compatibility I guess. When I looked at cheaper MBs that released during the 3000 series etc I had to call the seller to ask if they can make sure it's updated. In the end I just upped my budget and got something else entirely
B550 supports Ryzen 5000, they come factory installed with BIOS supporting Ryzen 5000 for a long time now. For B450, you have to be careful about BIOS firmware because BIOS update for Ryzen 5000 was slow to roll out vs B550.

Back