Need advice on LG OPTIUMS ONE - Is it worth the buy?

anfjavid

Skilled
Hello people, yesterday i stepped into univercell, EA in Chennai and i was very impressed by the LG optimus ONE. Initially i had shortlisted nokia c503, galaxy pop and fit. But after my Hands on over the demo piece of the Optimus One, i found that it had good screen resolution than the galaxy phones and the phone looked sleek and professional. So finally i made up my mind to go for it. AFAIK there are'nt phones with this much features in the 10k price range.I was quoted 10.5k there.

Since i am not used to touchscreen, will there be any difficult in typing ?. I can get used to it atleast in a coupla months, right ?

So is it worth the buy ?. Plz advice..

thanx in advance

Check these two phones and then decide:

1. Dell XCD 35 (using ICICI code on lets buy, it'a available for Rs. 9,494 /- only)

2. LG Optimus One

Dell XCD 35:

- 3.5" Screen

- Resolution of 800x480 (better for videos, browsing)

- Cyanogen Mod 7 makes this device go wheeeeee

LG O1:

- 3.2" Screen

- Resolution of 480x320

- Only Marginally cheaper

I think, with all due respect, the Dell XCD 35 is the best buy here.

@compaddict & manu1991 - does the device get 512MB ram after flashing CM7?

Edit: Googled and came to know that there are 2 version. Gen1 and Gen 2. I guess the Gen 1 has 256 and Gen 2 has 512. There's a file to convert Gen 1 to Gen 2.
After converting to Gen 2, I guess we can get 512 MB ram. It's surprising to see this device getting CM7 stable but not the SGS :(

@ankurshah can you reason it out why you say lg optimus is bad?? also im goin in for optimus one as it is the best phone around in that range. can anyone suggest any other android phone apart from dell xcd 35

@OP

Get the Dell XCD35.

I also do stay away from LG phones. dunno after a year or so they look so cheap. I say this coz few of my friends had the cookie era phones in a year was like in very bad cond. Even after careful usage by one. Also my brother current uses LG Optimus 504 as his spare phone or something like that. He got it around 1 or 2 months before the O1 craze in forums. Now the phone is in not so good condn. Around 8 or so months i guess.

Ooops. this is the phone he uses http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_gt540_optimus-3081.php

@everybody - Samsung Fit S / L.G Optimus One / Dell XCD35 all have qualcomm MSM7227 chipset without any modification.
Screen Resolution of the above mobiles
Fit S - 320x240
Optimus 1 - 480x320
XCD 35 - 800x480

So, obviously the Fit S should be snappier than O1 which should be snappier than XCD 35. Wouldn't rendering so many pixels makes a difference in daily usage?

OP and others who are looking to buy mobile in this budget, check these videos out.
Edit: As you can see the below videos, NOT ONLY the menu, settings, app drawer are slower in dell xcd 35 compared to L.G Optimus One which is slower compared to Samsung Galaxy Fit S BUT ALSO the browser pinch zooming (especially the browser performance, even in scrolling) and other Application performances are slow - note: these can't be undone even after you change the launcher, or even custom ROMs (if saying otherwise, share the video link)
Snappier Samsung Galaxy Fit S
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be7mkSX0jhI&hd=1
Snappy Optimus One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIWUeOL2KME&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5nVaMJ3IQw&hd=1
Not so snappy Dell XCD 35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6q6f33No0 (Android 2.1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2do6aXA0O0M&hd=1 (Cyanogenmod 7)

But as you can see from the above videos, DELL XCD 35 has a STUNNING display compared to the O1's good display compared to the Fit S's dull display.

Now it's upto the user to select the phone of his choice. Whether a device with GREAT display but sluggish performance (DELL XCD35)* or a GREAT performance with dull display (Fit S) or A BALANCED good display and good performance(O1).

BTW, even my friend is looking for a phone for 8-10k with requirements as 3g/5mp cam & little larger display. I've suggested him the following mobiles
6.6k - Spice mi 310(has LED flash),
9.5k - Fit S,
9k - O1,
9.5k XCD35,
12.6k - Wildfire S.

Err... Fit's resolution looks horrible for a 3.2" screen. a 2" candy bar phone screen has a QVGA resolution for many years now.

Many apps wont work well on a QVGA screen.

Higher the resolution better it is for browsing.

@dark angel - ya, even in that video, bharat nagpal (editor) is saying so. but why everybody are saying like that? Why can't we browse in a lower resolution display? with higher resolution, the zooming, panning, scrolling are VERY LAGGY and I'll go crazy to the level of throwing the mobile (its just me). But, when it is snappier i'll be happy even if i can't see it in bright light or as you say, low resolution.
Am I being subjective or is it the same with everybody?

The reason why higher resolution is preferred in mobile is because most modern mobile web browsers try to give as close to desktop rendering as possible. Thus higher resolution helps to see more of the same page without zooming. Regarding op's query, I will suggest the O1. Its a fantastic budget android. No real drawbacks. Great voice quality and most importantly impressive battery life. Add a great no. Of custom roms and even unofficial but stable cm7 and it's pretty much the perfect entry level smartphone.

hmm.. intresting. i was thinking that xcd35 would be snappy. LG is not laggy, i agree to it; but the under powered proccy of the phone is very evident.

angry birds has a huge drop is framerate whenever a touch is detected on the screen.

I was thinking of going for xcd 35 for my sis as i already have the O1. may be the GB update for the O1 would fix this.

Both the mobiles have qualcomm msm7227 soc, 600mhz cpu + adreno 200 gpu
govigov said:
hmm.. intresting. i was thinking that xcd35 would be snappy. LG is not laggy, i agree to it; but the under powered proccy of the phone is very evident.

angry birds has a huge drop is framerate whenever a touch is detected on the screen.

I was thinking of going for xcd 35 for my sis as i already have the O1. may be the GB update for the O1 would fix this.

ok. now im getting really confused, was going in for lg optimus 1 now i think its gonna be xcd35. does dell xcd35 comes with droid 2.1 or 2.2. some places it shows 2.1(eclair) and some 2.2(froyo).

also a query about the ram is it stock 256 and we need to unlock it to 512?

how is the battery life compared to lg optimus one because optimus has 1500mAh battery as compared to xcd35 1250 mAh battery.

sorry if i am bothering but i am a noob and want the best vfm phone and after buying don't want to regret my decision as i intend to keep my mobile phone for atleast 3yrs.

Back