CPU/Mobo Need advice on my build

nitin_g3

Adept
I have below build:
Ryzen 5 1500x (will upgrade later to a ryzen 5 3600)
Samsung 1440p 144hz 27 inch Curved Gaming Monitor
RTX 3070 fe
Gigabyte b350 gaming 3 mobo
XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 (2x8GB) 3200MHz

I'm not planning to upgrade anything except for processor as mentioned above.
I don't play competitive games. Only AAA story based titles just to enjoy the game visuals and story.
Need to know whether my mobo hold back other components and impact the game fps by a big margin. Can I get away without upgrading the mobo?
Thanks.

I have below build:
Ryzen 5 1500x (will upgrade later to a ryzen 5 3600)
Samsung 1440p 144hz 27 inch Curved Gaming Monitor
RTX 3070 fe
Gigabyte b350 gaming 3 mobo
XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 (2x8GB) 3200MHz

I'm not planning to upgrade anything except for processor as mentioned above.
I don't play competitive games. Only AAA story based titles just to enjoy the game visuals and story.
Need to know whether my mobo hold back other components and impact the game fps by a big margin. Can I get away without upgrading the mobo?
Thanks.
3600 will be bottleneck when paired with 3070
You should go with 5000 series or intel cpus

This video explains it in details.

3600 will be bottleneck when paired with 3070
You should go with 5000 series or intel cpus

This video explains it in details.
I checked quiet a few videos on 3600 vs 5600x on 1440p gaming. But the fps difference was minimal and not worth the money.
There's a huge fps difference at 1080p gaming though.

I checked quiet a few videos on 3600 vs 5600x on 1440p gaming. But the fps difference was minimal and not worth the money.
There's a huge fps difference at 1080p gaming though.
You didn't watched the video for sure as it isn't 3600 vs 5600 video. Its rtx vs radeon video ( driver overhead ).

TLDR is his 3070 is slower than Radeon 5600XT graphics card when paired with anything below 5000 series or intel 6+ core unlocked cpus.

Radeon cards have less driver overhead ( or you can say nvedia have more cpu overhead ) so if he wants to upgrade to 3000 series then he will get Radeon 5600xt performance or worse from his 3070 graphics card

Actually I have no plan on changing the MoBo.
so I'm stuck with 3600. Then I thought let's check how much I'll be missing if I don't go with 5000 series. and I found that the avg. fps gain wasn't much (less than 5%) compared to 3600 on 1440p.

Actually I have no plan on changing the MoBo.
so I'm stuck with 3600. Then I thought let's check how much I'll be missing if I don't go with 5000 series. and I found that the avg. fps gain wasn't much (less than 5%) compared to 3600 on 1440p.
If you get a great deal on 3600x then sure you may get it as you will still get more performance ( but still will be bottlenecked by cpu ) , otherwise i will advice nothing below 5600x cpu because of nvidia's driver overhead.

How the tables have turned. AMD used to have CPU overhead on DX11 games (it still does in many like fallout 4, KCD etc.), and now nvidia has CPU overhead in DX12 games. This is real folks. :D

I have an overclocked to 4.2 GHz 3600 paired with 5700XT alongwith an Acer 2K 144 Hz monitor. I also mostly play single player games like you do with an exception of CSGO, APEX and sometimes, Halo MCC. I have said this in many threads before, and I will say it now too. 3600 is not a good CPU for high frame rates. Its an amazing CPU for 1080p 60 Hz or 2K 60 Hz. e.g., even in SOTTR DX12, my FPS reaches 80ish in areas that are CPU bound. Otherwise, the game is usually at 120. In horrible AMD optimized games like KCD, I achieve 20 FPS in battles because of the CPU overhead. A faster CPU would not go to 20 FPS in this scenario but 3600 does. Hitman 2 DX12 at 2k is constantly above 90 FPS. CP 2077 on the other hand, would dip down to 50s at 2k high.

And, you know what happens when the FPS falls below 70 on a 144Hz monitor. Not a pretty sight. And, the trouble with CPU bottlenecks is that even if you reduce settings, it will very rarely increase FPS (coz thats what CPU bottleneck really is. The lowest FPS achieved by the total system).

Also, when you compare CPUs, pay more attention to 1% and 0.1% lows. Averages may not differ by much, but the lows will and thats where it counts for high refresh rate gaming.

Long story short, here, online, you will see divided opinions. Some would say 3600 is good, some would say get a 5600x. I would say, you need the fastest CPU for 144Hz and 3600 definitely aint it. You are looking at a fast i7 or R5 5600X at a minimum to keep your FPS above 70 in games. The better CPU you get, the better your experience is going to be. All the best :)

Your setup is perfect...
3600 will do the job done..
And 3600 dosnt bottleneck 3070 they way people are saying..I guess it will work like a gem..

TLDR is his 3070 is slower than Radeon 5600XT graphics card when paired with anything below 5000 series or intel 6+ core unlocked cpus.

Radeon cards have less driver overhead ( or you can say nvedia have more cpu overhead ) so if he wants to upgrade to 3000 series then he will get Radeon 5600xt performance or worse from his 3070 graphics card
Hi, this happens at 1080p sure. There certainly are oddities here, more so with 1600x and 2600x but observable with 3600x in some cases depending on the settings used.
At 1440p, this disappears. The scaling is as it should be with 3600x. Yeah the 5600x is faster at this resolution (slightly or more, depending on the game and settings) and that is understandable, it is up to the individual to see if this FPS gain is worth it depending on their future GPU upgrade plans. Obviously if someone wants the top end GPU they should get the 5600x. But from what I've seen the 3600x with 3070 definitely does not perform worse than 5700xt at 1440p.

Just didnt want readers to get the wrong idea from your post, since I'm considering going for the 3600 and wanted to see how it performed with different GPUs at 1440p.
@OP: I'd suggest you look at videos and feedback from people running a 3600 with a 3070 at 1440p.

I have an overclocked to 4.2 GHz 3600 paired with 5700XT alongwith an Acer 2K 144 Hz monitor. I also mostly play single player games like you do with an exception of CSGO, APEX and sometimes, Halo MCC. I have said this in many threads before, and I will say it now too. 3600 is not a good CPU for high frame rates.
You'll be able to provide real user feedback. But arent you GPU limited at 1440p with a 5700XT rather than CPU bottlenecked? At least that's what even HUB's benchmarks show.
And, the trouble with CPU bottlenecks is that even if you reduce settings, it will very rarely increase FPS (coz thats what CPU bottleneck really is. The lowest FPS achieved by the total system).
This ties to my comment above. 3600x provides 93 FPS and 121 FPS (6 game average) at 1440p ultra with 3070 and 3090 respectively. I'm a bit confused about the results at 1440p medium because HUB's Steve says CPU bottlenecking is evident with 3070 at this setting (this includes the 5600x). Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 3600 can't be bottlenecking a 5700xt. It's just maxing out the GPU.

Reference:
If needed I'll provide the relevant graphs from their blog in the next post.

Last edited:
In theory, R5 3600 and a 5700XT should be a good match. And they are, in games that run on DX12 and vulkan. However, in DX11, AMD drivers have so much overhead that it becomes a pain. e.g. SOTTR runs flawlessly, 2k high FPS. Fallout 4 runs like trash. Its engine has a 60 FPS cap and this combo struggles maintaining even that at 1080p and 2k. CPU bottleneck is quite evident in this case. Like the GPU handles the game better at 2k than at FHD, which is kinda counter intuitive. Same goes for games like KCD, etc. where no matter what you do, you just cant maintain even 60 FPS . 60 FPS on a 60 Hz screen is TOTALLY different than 60 Hz on a 144 Hz screen, even with LFC. These are just 2 games that I remember right now, but there have been a few others that I had to quit playing thinking that I will play them in the future with an nvidia card (as they dont have driver overhead on DX11). But, of course, its 2021, so things have to go right, right? WRONG! Now, nvidia cards have driver overhead with DX12 games. And I am like, FML, what is a gamer supposed to do these days to get a decent playing experience.

The OP plays AAA single player titles and is expecting to maintain at least 70 to 80 FPS on a 144 hz screen, which is a herculean task both at 1080p (CPU bottleneck) and at 2K (CPU or GPU or both bottleneck). e-Sports titles run like butter on both AMD and nvidia, and can provide 144 FPS experience easily. Trouble is with the AAA games, due to either CPU bottleneck (R5 3600 is definitely one for 144, not so much for 60), bad optimizations, or driver overheads. Doesnt mean that a gamer should not demand 144 FPS experience with AAA games, they should. Whoever has played Witcher 3 on 60 and 100 FPS can tell the difference. People call it a slow game that doesnt need a high refresh rate, blah blah... But its beautiful when you play it like that. Same goes for SOTTR or Deus EX or CyberPunk or really any other game (In MY Opinion).

Back