19" Viewsonic
C2D E4300 1.8
XFX 650i Ultra Mobo
2GB RAM Dynet Value ram
250GB HDD
Iball Cabinet with 450W PSU
600VA Proview UPS
BSNL 256Kbps unlimited connection

Frens what else is needed for Webhosting....
What should i upgrade and add for webhosting requirements..
Hope to recieve expert advices from TE`s...

Static IP/s ?

All depends on:

Whats your target audience ?

Do you have required OS with hosting app like IIS / Apache ?

Type of applications to be hosted ?

Firewall, routing systems ?

teddy_b73 said:
Static IP/s ?
All depends on:
Whats your target audience ?
Do you have required OS with hosting app like IIS / Apache ?
Type of applications to be hosted ?
Firewall, routing systems ?

Hi Teddy,
First of all i want to fullfill the hardware requirement of Webhosting..
Need advises and comments on my STOCK config first!! (See 1st post)
According to advices:
-Will talk with ISP`s for static IP
-Which is better Linux or windows based hosting
-Target customers: Depends (Let it be start then see)
-Routing systems and firewall: Please suggest

With BSNL you will get static ip only with a business plan. After that you may need to buy a domain name.

The choice of the webserver/OS depends on the language used to create web pages

ASP.NET - Microsoft IIS, Windows only,
PHP - Apache, Windows/Linux
JSP/J2EE - Apache Tomcat, Windows/Linux

Though I suggest you to buy webspace from a web hosting site with decent bandwidth (10 GB or so) and a database and upload your pages.

Hi Hammerhead,
Thanks for your participation.
I want to establish my own webhosting services.
For that i gt my STOCK config (Check 1st post)....1st i need advices on weather i should upgrade or buy any desired hardware requirement.
After establishing my very own SERVER, I will move on to other things like OS,Apps etc.....
Please advice on my SERVER config (Check 1st post)!!!

Your BSNL 256k UL connections upload bw will be very low 64k or 128k. I dont think that will be enough for a good webserver. Sites will take a long time to open if more than two or three people are using at a time.

Your system config is more than enough for a decent web server.

Its the internet conn that is going to be the bottleneck. I think its better you opt for a cheap shared hosting. If its just for testing it out and learning it will OK.

Can you tell us the exact purpose of this? I understand its for hosting websites. I mean what kind of websites, how many visitors you are expecting etc.

I am not much of a hardware guy but your config should be able to support an application server along with a web server. But usually for big websites it is desirable to keep the application server i.e your database backend on a seperate machine with high processing power.

If you want to learn abt web hosting then ur config n net connection is fine but if you want to host a proper website ull need to purchase it from some web hosting company.

What exactly is your application? If your website is going to generate a lot of traffic, then your BSNL connection is of no use. Also, think if you will be able to keep the server up and running 24/7 (which is a major requirement).

If your not sure about these, its better to get a hosting plan on any good host. Hosting is pretty cheap these days, and you can get a very good plan for less than $10 a month.

^ OP wants to start hosting business with that hardware.

straight answer - Yes, hardware seems to be fine for a start (maybe except a generator and RAID ;) )

Twisted one - Its better to get the business end (planning!!) straight before you spend anymore money on this venture.

ull need a high speed connection if u wanna run it on ur pc, something like the airtel 8mb one. my server runs on 10mbps atm with unlimited bandwidth. so as a start the minimum bandwidth that you will need should be 20gb per month, then u can slowly increase it. otherwise you can rent a webserver on www.godaddy.com , they offer cheap webhosting as well as cheap domain registration.

Hardware OK if you are not going to use even mildly heavy SQL DBs.

As others mentioned, bandwidth is very very low. Static IP is absolute necessity.

OS Preference: Linux is efficient in this field, but your customer's requirement will prevail - this excellent website howtoforge.com can guide you. MS Windows Sever editions are best since its easier to maintain with GUi since you seems to be newbie in this field.

You will need very good enterprise class antivirus s/w like McAfee Enterp. edition, etc. Both s/w and hardwire firewall will be required.

Check for ISPAdmin or similar s/w etc. which will give you insight on hosting plan decisions.

what is the application you planning to run on this server?

Do you want to offer it to some clients?

You need:

Server located in a datacenter

Advantages - Power backup, high speed backbone.

Disadvantages - Tad expensive

You can try Reliance, Net4India, VSNL for co location if you want to have complete control on your server and hardware. Mind you, renting a server in US will be much cheaper than putting your server in one of these DCs.

If you are planning to host anything other than a small site, I'd advise against it. Even the ISPs mentioned above are not really equipped with what you call good facilities.

Thanks Varkey, Hammerhead, Tedyy, Checksum, random, Varz, Arya for such a wonderful participation.

Currently i have got 2 projects in my hand. I will try to host these projects on my server with 256Kbps UL connection. Traffic will be very low in starting, I guess. Further i will apply in a datacenter or create my own as advancement.

Advices and suggestions are always welcomed.

Hi,

If you are confident on doing this, go for it - it will give you a good outlook on hosting basics. I understand it this way: you want to test cheaply first them do a full hosting of your applications. Then its ok.

Otherwise contact companies like oriensoft.com who will give your space, etc. on their shared infrastructure.

In this field trial, error, burning fingers are all common and they are worthy experiences too... :)

Yes for testing the stuff etc there is no issue in running this way. The problem arises only when you get more and more traffic and would need more performance and reliability.

Later maybe you can get a VPS or Dedicated server in the US as its much much cheaper and has more facilities than here in India.

Back