Audio Need an amp

djmykey

Skilled
My dad has a set of Pioneer speakers. They are way too old but they are still in a very good condition.
The speakers are just sitting behind the TV table without being used. I wanted to know if I can buy an amp which can drive those speakers, with any source input to it via a 3.5 mm jack.

Specs of the spkrs are as follows:

These are conventional speakers with a tweeter, mid and a sub.

Michael,

These can be driven by most entry level amplifiers.

40w into 8Ohm is a fair load for the Norge 1000 (10k?), NAD c315/6 BEE (18k), Marantz PM 5004 (20K), Denon PMA510AE ( 17K) etc.

What is the budget that you are ready to splurge?

What are the room dimensions?

What kind of music you'd playing on these?

PS: Gimme a call bugger.

For 1k you can get a local amp that will put out some kind of sound from these speakers.

For decent sound, be prepared to shell out about ten times that, but you'll again get some locally built nonsense. There are some Norge amps that sell around that price. It's a rip-off from international designs and is prone to failure modes of many kinds.

Might work well for you though.

Pune is a decent place for audio. Cadence is based there. Might be out of budget though. I heard Pulz was also Pune based. Might want to check. I know there are a few local mfrs. in your town, so hunt around.

Thanks sarang and cranky for your suggestions.

I was thinking of getting something in the range of 5K but it seems if you want something good one needs to shell out quite some money. Might change the plan, now that the amps seem costly. I want my dad to be able to listen to radio over them, that's the plan. But I think I would be better off buying some radio than investing in an amp for the spkrs... need to check around for them

djmykey said:
I was thinking of getting something in the range of 5K but it seems if you want something good one needs to shell out quite some money. Might change the plan, now that the amps seem costly. I want my dad to be able to listen to radio over them, that's the plan.

In that case look at some of the tripaths. Most of them cost around the 50$ mark and can be sourced easily. I got this one from ICCWorld to play with.

@cranky : saar you are kidding about cadence right? Their cheapest amp the VA-1 costs 80k :( No doubt the folks are very friendly and would let you audition even if they saw you coming in a Ritz costing about the same as the pair of Amaya and a VA-1 ;)

You can also consider a Taurus T-100 Mosfet amplifier. Its available in Mumbai but it can be couriered to Pune.

I use this amp and it sounds pretty decent.

Back