Storage Solutions Need an internal SATA Drive

achadha7

Disciple
Hi all
I need to buy an internal 500 GB HDD. I do not want a Green HDD since this disk will be accessed quite often
which is better segate or WD and WHY ?
:huh:

Eh, welll I have a WD and a seagate installed in my PC, one is a SATA the other IDE, no issues so far ( TOUCH WOOD) but given the recent threads on RMA on both these drive models I am wondering are the highter capacities worth it ?

i would guggest WD cavair Blue - its 7200rpm (green - 5400 rpm). if you can spend more, the WD caviar BLACK would be your best bet. google put the reviews for yourself.

mhamirma said:
i would guggest WD cavair Blue - its 7200rpm (green - 5400 rpm). if you can spend more, the WD caviar BLACK would be your best bet. google put the reviews for yourself.

Are you sure Green is 5400 rpm?

H@cKer said:
dude seagate 7200.12 has many problems,refrain from it.Get a Hitachi Deskstar 500GB.I am using one,no problems till date.

Are you sure it's the 7200.12? The 7200.11 was plagued as most of us are aware of it but I'm yet to come across a member in the forums who've a reported a problem for the newer 7200.12 series or at least for the 500GB hard drives.

I'd personally stick to WD though.

Emil said:
Are you sure Green is 5400 rpm?

its not 5400 , but not flat 7200 too
it has varible spin , which keeps idle spin to lower rate
so if your HD is not accessed frequently you will see slow response
DONT use it as primary drive (its my sugg), you gain nothing .

it shouldnt matter for large data transfers.

for the topic..
the choice of HD depends on your need
1) Fastest in seqential transfer is samsung spinpoint :rofl:
but buying it for that atribute is worthless .
2) Best relaible and best in Seq access is WD Black :eek:hyeah:
You will spend atleast 2k more to get one of them..

VFM is segate 12th gen, and WD blue.
Hitachi too seems to be good .. so choose b/w them they have some +ve and some -ve.

Gannu said:
Are you sure it's the 7200.12? The 7200.11 was plagued as most of us are aware of it but I'm yet to come across a member in the forums who've a reported a problem for the newer 7200.12 series or at least for the 500GB hard drives.

I'd personally stick to WD though.

I have seen 1-2 failures in US forums while i was doing R&D
but nothing like 11 gen.

Back