Need android based mobile.

Phenom

Disciple
Hi All,

I am planning to buy an Andriod based mobile.

I've short listed some:

Motorola Milestone

Samsung Spica

Google Nexus One

HTC Hero

I am really confused :huh: (though i am diverted towards Milestone, i dunno if its a VFM). The above mobiles range from 12K to 30K I'm really confused, really dunno what to go for. Price is not a matter.

Please suggest. Any other is also welcome (only android please).

Thanks a lot.

^^ Nexus/Desire is not launched in India, so you wont have any warranty on them. If that is not a concern for you, go ahead.

Milestone/SPICA - Would be my choice, personally I'm planning to get SPICA & decided to drop Milestone 'coz I dont think its VFM at the current price!

Nexus One is not yet supported in India. If your max budget is 30k and you do want support for mobile, here is my list (sorted in order of priority):

1) HTC HD2 (I know know it's winmo but trumps all other phones and someone should be able to cook android ROM for HD2 at XDA)

2) Motorola Milestone

3) Xperia X10

4) HTC Hero

5) HTC Magic

just forget about Spikes and bolts. they are nothing when compared to the bigger crop.

If you are not at all bothered by support and warranty, then look no further than Nexus One or get HD2 in grey market (easily available at around 25k).

desiibond said:
Nexus One is not yet supported in India. If your max budget is 30k and you do want support for mobile, here is my list (sorted in order of priority):

1) HTC HD2 (I know know it's winmo but trumps all other phones and someone should be able to cook android ROM for HD2 at XDA)
2) Motorola Milestone
3) Xperia X10
4) HTC Hero
5) HTC Magic

just forget about Spikes and bolts. they are nothing when compared to the bigger crop.

If you are not at all bothered by support and warranty, then look no further than Nexus One or get HD2 in grey market (easily available at around 25k).

Htc magic can be there costing 16k or more with resistive screen, poor resolution,poor proccy
but spica is not with divx support,capacitive screen, better proccy.......
What an advice sirjee!!!!!

ayaskant12 said:
Htc magic can be there costing 16k or more with resistive screen, poor resolution,poor proccy

but spica is not with divx support,capacitive screen, better proccy.......

What an advice sirjee!!!!!

though spica has bettery processor, magic trumps it when it comes to performance, thanks to 2 times RAM and a 512MB huge ROM (180MB storage on spica). Though spica paper specs say it has 16M color display, since android supports max of 65k, it doesn't matter. and they both have same resoultion and same size capacitive touch display.

most importantly, the build quality of HTCs and support/updates are much better than that of Samsung's.

iI hav used more than 10 sets of htc and don't find their build any better than most!!!
About updates, brother how many times does htc releases updates or roms???
There was a huge appeal for video drivers for tytnII but fell into deaf ears
Its only for xda-devs that they get updates,
Now after omnia success many devs hav Started supporting samsung like modaco and ppcwarez

I find avi playback a huge positive!!!
How many htc sets can play avi movies of 800mb flawlessly???
Coreplayer doesnt support qualcomm prccy and don't tell me abt the qtv layer setting

I don't think u hav seen spica screen,its almost same as my cowon s9 screen Nd tata amoled
Afaik magic has resistive screen,
Only adv of magic is the personalising ur covers

And if 5k makes any sense to you then spica is 5k cheaper than magic :p
Anyways enjoy ur phone whichever the op decides

Just my 100 cents. ;-)

Firstly, the op said the price does not matter,so no point suggesting him spica.If budget is not a constraint,milestone is the best option,then comes x10,N1 is also great if you do not care about warranty.But if multimedia(sp.music and videos) is priority you may not be satisfied with android for now.I think only spica supports xvid out of the box,but it is much inferior to milestone,N1 or X10.@ayashkant12,buddy, samsung has produced some great phones recently,but it still has a long way to go before catching up with htc,regarding movies my htc hd2 can play 1.5GB avi movies with core player or tcmp easily,it even plays 720p with absolute ease.

why wud i argue if HTC MAGIC was not advised!!!

even samsung omnia hd was the first phone to playback 720p videos, everything doesnt depend on processor speed, the graphics accelerator matters a lot!!

and i am not nuts to compare spica with HD2 or Milestone!

I was just referring to the statement

"SPIKES AND BOLTS"

show me a single htc or for that matter any company phone at 11.9k with all the features of spica!!!!

I hav used many high end phones in the past but spica is "THE BEST VFM PHONE", no doubt about it!!

I am just a proud owner of spica........

Hi,

I've been looking for an Android handset myself and while, unlike the O.P., price is very much a factor for me, I've gleamed this much from my extensive research (ahem):

The interface matters. HTC's Sense UI is wicked cool, easily making it an iPhone competitor - often beating it in terms of usability / fun-factor / cool-ness.

Snapdragon is king. One of the drawbacks of the HTC Hero (with Sense UI) was its 528 Mhz Qualcomm processor. The snapdragon processor on the HTC Desire and the upcoming HTC Incredible should allow Sense UI to function flawlessly.

As for me, I cannot afford Snapdragon-class mobile phones. So I'm buying an HTC Hero second hand. Research (ahem) suggests that the 'lagginess' reported initially with the Hero was mostly fixed via ROM updates.

You can find lots of Sense UI demo-s in YouTube.

P.S. Note, that I am someone who prefers clear segregation in tasks, and devices I use to accomplish these tasks.

I have a DSLR for taking photos, an HD Handycam for capturing video footage, and a Widescreen monitor at home for watching movies.

Even the highest end mobiles tend to be pretty shitty at these tasks anyway, so photography / video capture / media playback capabilities were never considered.

Have fun with your new mobile! :)

red dragon said:
Firstly, the op said the price does not matter,so no point suggesting him spica.If budget is not a constraint,milestone is the best option,then comes x10,N1 is also great if you do not care about warranty.But if multimedia(sp.music and videos) is priority you may not be satisfied with android for now.I think only spica supports xvid out of the box,but it is much inferior to milestone,N1 or X10.@ayashkant12,buddy, samsung has produced some great phones recently,but it still has a long way to go before catching up with htc,regarding movies my htc hd2 can play 1.5GB avi movies with core player or tcmp easily,it even plays 720p with absolute ease.

spot on. Given that budget is not a constraint here, there is no reason in looking for spikes and busters. Best ones in the market right now are the ones that have snapdragon or cortex A9 processors.

Whoa! So many suggestions and thoughts!!! I'm even more confused now.

However, i am very thankful to all your suggestions and I would definitely like to wait for some more suggestions and thoughts before i make any decisions. :)

Thanks again and keep posting :eek:hyeah:

I used a friends Nexus One and found it to be pretty good apart from its low voice output. The UI is fluid and going through the menu is smooth, so is the GPS part.

What you need to do is. First sort out your budget. As Price is not a concern would always leave you confused.

Second list down what all functions do you need in your device (Must have and good to have).

Third ask yourself do you really need Android? Why do you like/need Android?

Fourth make a decision and get the device ASAP :)

I played around with a N1 and milestone and eventually got the latter....

Although the qwerty on the milestone was the major draw, the final decision swinger was the in-call audio quality... haven't seen call audio as crisp and loud on any other phone before

Hello All,

Thanks all for the all the information and suggestions.

Some unfortunate measures have caused me to push the plans for a couple of months (at least :( ). Hope i'll reply to the same thread once i come out of the situation.

Thanks again.

Back