Video Need antennae for DD National and other free channels

now that everything is digitized (at least india made progress somewhere), i don't think this antenna will work without another gizmo (e.g. analog to digital converter). even then, there's no guarantee that FTA channels would work.

you need to contact your local cable operator to get a separate dish antenna installed for all the FTA channels, including DD. It's a one time investment... no monthly payments to cable operator. i got this done for one of my houses for Rs 1200.

41JAqSkTzkL._SY300_.jpg

Used this kind of antenna a decade back when we used to get the Srilankan channel Rupavaheni. It was a craze down south at that time. Probably this would work for the FTA channels with analog signals. I think only DD still broadcasts using analog signals. However, the picture quality of the broadcast in a LCD/LED tv would look stale and waterdown. Not worth viewing. Old CRT TV is more suited for this kind of transmission.

^no local cable operators in the area afaik, so either FTA channels or DTH.

then travel to nearby city and buy the dish + STB yourself. you can get this stuff from any cable operator. the setup looks like DTH but it's FTA (which includes DD). don't know how are you going to align the dish though.

then travel to nearby city and buy the dish + STB yourself. you can get this stuff from any cable operator. the setup looks like DTH but it's FTA (which includes DD). don't know how are you going to align the dish though.
Okay or else I will pay cable guy some extra money or something and request him again.

btw so many free channels - http://www.freetoair.in/p/i.html

I thought only 7-8 are FTA :-O

41JAqSkTzkL._SY300_.jpg

Used this kind of antenna a decade back when we used to get the Srilankan channel Rupavaheni. It was a craze down south at that time. Probably this would work for the FTA channels with analog signals. I think only DD still broadcasts using analog signals. However, the picture quality of the broadcast in a LCD/LED tv would look stale and waterdown. Not worth viewing. Old CRT TV is more suited for this kind of transmission.
So what do you suggest?

Okay or else I will pay cable guy some extra money or something and request him again.
right.

btw so many free channels
yes... and with no recurring charges.[DOUBLEPOST=1460907891][/DOUBLEPOST]
that's terrestrial antenna. this antenna provides DD channels which you can count on the fingers of one hand.

it's good for reaching out to rural folks during emergencies.

Last edited:
So what do you suggest?
I think you can buy the STB in the link you have shown and get the dish separately and align yourself with the help of google if you are not able to get any service person. So many FTA channels but with different satellites. Seems like Intelsat17 has more number of FTA channels.

There are a lot of FTA channels that you can get with a FTA box. You would need to goto the Lamington Road of your area. When I was in Chandigarh, Sector 22 market had these and were selling like hot cakes.

Back