Monitors Need budget monitor 20-22"

Emil

Skilled
My Viewsonic 19" monitor screen has gone dim and blurry after not being used for about 8 months while I was away. I need to buy a replacement.
I don't use it for games or heavy stuff. Just normal office stuff and browsing. Meetings too. My original monitor was DVI-D. Now I will go for HDMI to pair with my Mac Mini M1.
Viewing angle is not a big deal as I will sit in front of it and use it.
Cheaper the better. I don't like wasting money unless there is value addition.
I am currently away from home and will make the purchase when I return on March 31st

Budget is highly subjective, you can get great monitors for around 12k these days.

Is there anything else you are looking for like high brightness, color accuracy, usb hubs?

Budget is highly subjective, you can get great monitors for around 12k these days.

Is there anything else you are looking for like high brightness, color accuracy, usb hubs?
Nothing specific. I don't need gaming or graphic design. I don't watch movies either. Just basic textual stuff mostly apart from video meetings. One important thing I did not mention is VESA wall mount capable.
Regarding budget, It is not what I can or cannot afford but I don't want to pay for features I do not need. Hope I am clear as it may not be typical for others.
Thanks. That seems to fit what I was looking for.

If you're going to connect it to a Mac Mini, I'd recommend getting a 2k monitor as Mac OS doesn't work very well will low DPI screens. 150 dpi is the sweet spot where Macs look really good. The screens used by Macbook, iMac, and the Apple studio display are all closer to 200 dpi.

I would suggest going with an IPS monitor, and increase screen size to 24" or 22". The length difference between them is 2", but in usage 24" feels far bigger. Great for having documents / browsers side by side. VA can have as good colors as IPS, but the black smearing will take getting used to. I use VA panel at work (HP monitor, 22 inches) and in dark mode it appears jelly. If you can put up with that then no issue.

If you're going to connect it to a Mac Mini, I'd recommend getting a 2k monitor as Mac OS doesn't work very well will low DPI screens. 150 dpi is the sweet spot where Macs look really good. The screens used by Macbook, iMac, and the Apple studio display are all closer to 200 dpi.
Can you suggest specific models? I do not want to go over 22"
I would suggest going with an IPS monitor, and increase screen size to 24" or 22". The length difference between them is 2", but in usage 24" feels far bigger. Great for having documents / browsers side by side. VA can have as good colors as IPS, but the black smearing will take getting used to. I use VA panel at work (HP monitor, 22 inches) and in dark mode it appears jelly. If you can put up with that then no issue.
IPS is fine but I do not want to go higher than 22" as I probably do not have the space. I can confirm only after I return home in April. In any case, it is for desktop use and I wonder if 24" will add value for me.

24" is must have now a days. Space required is much less compared to the screen realstate you will get. And also monitors will last atleast 6-8 years so bigger size justifies the timeframe involved.

If you are on a budget this could be a good option for a 2k monitor https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Monitor-FreeSync-Eyesafe®-Compliant/dp/B09SQ7P5N4
You can also check these out - Benq BL2429PT and Viewsonic VX2480.

Thanks. The last one is fine. Unfortunately no shipping to Mumbai.
Gigabyte G27Q. Its 144hz, and Im not too sure how refresh rates work on mac, but you get great colour coverage for 24k
27" and 24K are both beyond budget.

Thanks. The last one is fine. Unfortunately no shipping to Mumbai.

27" and 24K are both beyond budget.
1440P monitors are mostly above 20k, so yeah, you could lean towards for FHD. There's an LG 29 inch ultra wide for 15k, great for productivity. 27 inch FHD monitors cost about 12k.

27" is out of the question. 22" FHD is what I wanted to begin with. I might go for 24". I am still deliberating whether to spend so much more and push it to QHD.

If you don't find the 2k resolution or larger size of a monitor necessary for your needs, you can opt for what you initially had in mind, a good budget 22" FHD monitor like this one instead. https://www.amazon.in/LG-22-inch-IP...s_1375425031_sccl_31/262-4253671-3737728?th=1
Thanks. Yes this seems great in case of my plan B. However, one question has been answered about wall mount and says that the design makes wall mounting complicated and likely to damage the back panel. Don't know if that is true or that the person who answered the question was lacking in competence.

I can see that theres a slight issue to mount the monitor on a wall due to a non-removable component of the table mount, however a tilting wall mounting bracket with at least 3-4 inches of clearance from the wall should be sufficient.

Last edited:
Oneplus has just launched a 24 inch monitor for 12000/-. After sales service etc are not known as this is their foray into the monitor space with a 24 inch and 27 inch monitor. Of course they have a presence in the TV space. It is 7.5x7.5 cm Vesa mount capable. Check it out.
My wall mount can take 75x75 as well as 100x100 so that's no problem. My concern is that they are relatively new in this product line and I don't want to be a guinea pig.
I can see that theres a slight issue to mount the monitor on a wall due to a non-removable component of the table mount, however a tilting wall mounting bracket with at least 3-4 inches of clearance from the wall should be sufficient.
Further down on March 3, 2017, another person has confidently answered that the base stand can be detached.
I will have to re-evaluate what I should buy when I return back home to Mumbai on April 1st. Thanks to all for their helpful suggestions.

Last edited:
My Viewsonic 19" monitor screen has gone dim and blurry after not being used for about 8 months while I was away. I need to buy a replacement.
I don't use it for games or heavy stuff. Just normal office stuff and browsing. Meetings too. My original monitor was DVI-D. Now I will go for HDMI to pair with my Mac Mini M1.
Viewing angle is not a big deal as I will sit in front of it and use it.
Cheaper the better. I don't like wasting money unless there is value addition.
I am currently away from home and will make the purchase when I return on March 31st
I didn't ask this before. Is it worth trying to get the monitor repaired if for instance only the backlight has gone bad? (In Mumbai)

Back