Budget 41-50k Need expert openion for selecting between Red and Blue

Shayem

Disciple
Hello everyone!

It's been long I've assembled my desktop and planning to upgrade now. Following are the components I'm using in stock settings:
i5 3570K
Maximus V Gene
GTX670 DCU 2 2GB DDR5
2x4GB Corsair Value
Antec EW 650w bronze
Windows 11 pro

I already have 4x8GB DDR4 C14 RAM, which I'll be using. I'll add AIO coller later and upgrade other components as well. I'll be doing continious CPU intensive work ( For example: 4xVM live at-a-time) and concerned about power consumption of whole rig ( has plan to get a platinum or titanium PSU later ). GPU I'll upgrade later and didn't consider PCIe 5.0 while selecting the combo. I've following in mind, as these I can fit in my budget for now. I've already done some research and found both combo has their own benefits but perform nearly same. So asking for some openion to decide between tow combos. Following are the combo I've in mind, feel free to advice different combo if you find more suitable and fit whithin same budget.

AMD: 5900x with ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi II (will get 5950x if price suddenly come down or I get a good deal)
Intel: 12700k with MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi DDR4

Thank you all in advance!

If you wanna do productivity workloads and be power conservative then go with AMD. Intel's been pushing their silicon to higher power draws to get an edge over AMD.
On AMD you can buy 16 core 5950X monster and also the upcoming 3D V-cache chips (5900X3D, still rumored) while on the intel board 13th gen upgrade might be possible but not sure if for DDR4 boards.

Anyways I'd go with AMD here since Ryzen platform is stable and very mature now especially for productivity tasks.

If you wanna do productivity workloads and be power conservative then go with AMD. Intel's been pushing their silicon to higher power draws to get an edge over AMD.
On AMD you can buy 16 core 5950X monster and also the upcoming 3D V-cache chips (5900X3D, still rumored) while on the intel board 13th gen upgrade might be possible but not sure if for DDR4 boards.

Anyways I'd go with AMD here since Ryzen platform is stable and very mature now especially for productivity tasks.
Thank you for your response. I've exactly same thought and inclined to AMD. But wanted to keep an open mind and check if any benefits are there on intel which I didn't check. Like, I didn't know about 5900X3D. Need to check about that.

AMD would be the way to go, but in terms of power efficiency none of them are close to Apple silicon.

Yes, I'm going there. The amount of power you get from Apple silicon is absurd, considering how puny the power draw is. Of course I don't think all workload requirements will be fulfilled by Apple, but do keep an eye out, Asahi Linux is steadily improving and it might be a matter of time before Red and Blue come with ARM processors.

AMD would be the way to go, but in terms of power efficiency none of them are close to Apple silicon.

Yes, I'm going there. The amount of power you get from Apple silicon is absurd, considering how puny the power draw is. Of course I don't think all workload requirements will be fulfilled by Apple, but do keep an eye out, Asahi Linux is steadily improving and it might be a matter of time before Red and Blue come with ARM processors.
Yes! you're right if we consider only power consumption. But there're lots of limitation in apple macOS ecosystem as of now. First is you can't tamper with bootloader or natively install other ARM based OS. You can't run VM inside a VM due to HW limitation. Docker use QEMU for x86 CPU emulation and cannot be used for entirely virtualised environments. QEMU is not fully optimised for apple silicon as of now. That means, you need to choose ARM optimised images to get decent performance output. Virtual box don't support ARM and has no plan to do so as of now. VMware released fusion for mac but it is yet to be mature. All these things will lead me to too much troubleshooting in D2D basis. So I'd avoid apple silicon. And a well known limitation to all, GAME SUPPORT in macOS :android:

Yes! you're right if we consider only power consumption. But there're lots of limitation in apple macOS ecosystem as of now. First is you can't tamper with bootloader or natively install other ARM based OS. You can't run VM inside a VM due to HW limitation. Docker use QEMU for x86 CPU emulation and cannot be used for entirely virtualised environments. QEMU is not fully optimised for apple silicon as of now. That means, you need to choose ARM optimised images to get decent performance output. Virtual box don't support ARM and has no plan to do so as of now. VMware released fusion for mac but it is yet to be mature. All these things will lead me to too much troubleshooting in D2D basis. So I'd avoid apple silicon. And a well known limitation to all, GAME SUPPORT in macOS :android:
Indeed, something which I would consider teething pains. Give it some time, it can do a lot.

On other note, hope you go with a motherboard which can support crapton of RAM for all your VMs. May I ask what they are being used for? Hosting apps?

Indeed, something which I would consider teething pains. Give it some time, it can do a lot.

On other note, hope you go with a motherboard which can support crapton of RAM for all your VMs. May I ask what they are being used for? Hosting apps?
For now I've 4x8GB sticks and will upgrade to 16GB sticks if required or price come down.

And for use cases, let sum it up as R&D. Mostly reasearch and testing and some developement.

Just a note on RAM prices, they are unlikely to come down significantly from current levels, since the market might move to DDR5 once Ryzen 7000 chips are in.

on Red: Productivity go for 5950x for gaming go with 5800x or 5800x3d...plus point is energy efficient
on Blue: Productivity go with 12900k for gaming go with 12600k....plus point is clocks high

12600k is more than enough for gaming remember it has that 4 E cores so it is a 10 core 16 thread processor overclocks well too....one of the best for its price.

As per rumors intel is going to announce their 13xxx series processor by end of september....just fyi incase you are planning to build around september.

Back