Camera Need Good Entry Level DSLR camera

I am planning to buy a DSLR camera for my personal use. I am looking for a entry level DSLR camera. After googling and reading some threads i am totally lost and cant decide which should i go for. My budget is around 20-30K max but after searching on ebay i got canon 450D for 32K with 2 year warranty. Guys i need help to decide good camera for me. I am noob for cameras so please help me to choose the right camera for me. I went croma here in pune but they dont find much DSLR's here. so I find some deals on ebay.

Canon EOS 450D
eBay India: CANON EOS 450D DSLR WITH 18-55MM IS !! TAXES INCLUDED!! (item 270503269552 end time 25-Dec-2009 13:53:05 IST)

Canon EOS 1000D with kit lens
eBay India: CANON EOS 1000D SLR CAMERA 10.1MP 18-55MM LENS 2GB +WAR (item 330389298850 end time 26-Dec-2009 11:00:00 IST)
em4cecbc9ea2

Please help me to decide the DSLRs:)

A friend just go the Nikon D3000. I'd say there's very little to choose from between the 1000D, Alpha 230 and the 3000. Check out the dpreview comparison in the hugh D3000 review, you'll get a sense of all 3 cameras. Personally, the Nikon grip and ergonomics seem to suit me and my friend the best, and the widest glass choices are still only with Canon/Nikon mounts (though the Sony has in-body IS compared to the other two).

All the above three would be ~25K in the authorised market, maybe a little cheaper in grey.

I'd recommend a Pentax K-x. DPR has a review up, it's got some of the best low-light capability they've ever tested. 550$ with a good 18-55mm lens.

Today i went to a shop known as Digital point here and saw Nikon D3000 and Canon 1000D. I liked image quality of both cameras and came to know that these cameras dont have video recording facility. The sales person informed me that DSLRs dont have video recording facility and while some DSLRs has only 10 min recording. Guys is there any DSLRs who has good video recording time in 1080p mode but i dont want to waste more money on it.:)
The sales person asked to look into Sony HX1 which has good Image quality and has ability record video in 1080p mode. It costs 30k here. Please guide me

500D/5000D is what you are looking for maddy.

*But* they are way way out of your budget.

Get which ever you want, but if possible take just the body and decide the walkaround lens depending on what you want to do with the DSLR :).

HTH

^ AFAIK Entry level DSLR doesn't support video recording. Better get a Panasonic FZ35 to shoot HD quality video and DSLR like image quality.

I have seen Canon powershot Sx20 and Sx1 and 1 Nikon model which has HD recording capability. However can they produce image quality equals to DSLRs.

No.

You can choose between DSLR (IQ) and Point and shoot (video and fancy features). There are no cameras that will do both equally well, the glass and capture sensors, as well as the processing required, is too much of an ask for a single device to do very well.

Even the superzooms don't have the image quality of a DSLR, a D3000 will outstrip any superzoom though it does not record video. Since your requirements were never outlined, would you mind putting on record exactly what you will need the camera for, what you will be shooting, your level of comfort and the amount of time you want to put into photography, whether you just want to posses a camera or become an amteur photographer, etc.

Asking "What DSLR?" and saying that you don't know much amounts to people recommending entry-level DSLRs. Now you want video. What next?

yes i am totally confused and now requires everything from a single device:D but now i have seen one camera which provides both features, it is canon EOS 500D. It is out of budget now. So i have decided to go for Canon PowerShot 20Xs which has 20X optical zoom and it provides good quality image result. Anyone using 20Xs please share their experience here. It cost 27.5K here.

1. It's a Canon SX20 and not a 20Xs.

2. It will never equal a DSLR's quality but since you're seeking for it, it might be ok.

3. 27.5k is way too much for a superzoom. A Panasonic FZ35 comes for around 19k if am not wrong.

4. The Panasonic FZ35 has a 60-sec min shutter speed - more control, lighter, smaller and has all the features you are looking for plus is mostly faster according to all reviews.

5. Link for comparing: Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 2 cameras: Digital Photography Review

6. The FZ35 is for around 18-20k on eBay.

Yes, the SX20 has a tilting screen but that's the only advantage I see. They are both equally good cameras but nowhere close to a DSLR in terms of speed, background blur control and high ISO noise-levels.

Thanks for the reply D.payne. My mind still not ready for Panasonic as Canon is very reputed for cameras. Can you refer any other camera in this range which gives good result for images as well as videos.

@punit1
I need it for my personal use

^ why do you want dslr only? imo total noobs to camera world should start out with a point and shoot. get something with manual functions. then when you feel you have outgrown it, and know everything about exposure, shutter speed, f-stops, etc go buy a dslr.

i know many will flame me for this, but no dslr can give the learning advantage and limitations like a p&s can. Only when you become aware of flash, light conditions etc can you make full use of a dslr's capabilities.

Back