Camera Need Good Entry Level DSLR camera

If u are not after a super zoom get lumix Lx 3 for iq and hd video, it is more wider than entry level dslr with kit lens and it fits in ur trouser pocket.One thing against against a dslr,it is not pocketable and most dslr owners opt for a second camera like lx3.I have to carry my D40 all the way along if attending a marriage/function and can't leave it in the car in public.Ok,still offer u get a dslr due to iq forget about one hour video and iq in one package.

Panasonic is as reputed as it gets. They make the best of P&S in every segment - budget, super compact zoom, superzooms, advanced compacts...you name it.

Just because they aren't popular en masse in India, does not make them any lesser. So IMO, if your mind is not ready for Panasonic: go ahead and convince yourself. I don't believe in buying technology products just for the brand, though if you still love Canon and since it is your money, go ahead with the SX20. ;)

Oh and lastly: you asked this question on the internet - a place where the Panasonic FZ35/LX3/ZS3 consistently win every comparison on any site. So if that does not convince you, go ahead and believe the salesmen in our retail stores who have no frikkin' clue what they're talking about and have never owned a camera of this class before - leave alone a DSLR.

Cheers!

Payne

PS: Am placing a bet that you'll go with the Canon. :D

PPS: Yes, you do get jaw-dropping FullHD video and DSLR quality images in one camera and it's not a Canon 500D. It's the Panasonic GH1 which costs a sweet Rs.70k+. The 500D does not auto-focus during video, go ahead and shoot for 1hr with that! :/

6pack said:
^ why do you want dslr only? imo total noobs to camera world should start out with a point and shoot. get something with manual functions. then when you feel you have outgrown it, and know everything about exposure, shutter speed, f-stops, etc go buy a dslr.

i know many will flame me for this, but no dslr can give the learning advantage and limitations like a p&s can. Only when you become aware of flash, light conditions etc can you make full use of a dslr's capabilities.

Am not too sure, but BF1983 explained to me, almost all the entry level DSLR's have the auto feature, which make taking photographs as easy as a P&S.

Aces170 said:
Am not too sure, but BF1983 explained to me, almost all the entry level DSLR's have the auto feature, which make taking photographs as easy as a P&S.

but when you want to move beyond auto, the number of options, and the wide range available in each option will get you...

@D.payne
Its not like i am going for a brand name. I have seen some good reviews for canon models. I have seen your comparison link. I will check croma and other shops for FZ35. I am just worried because i am spending too much money for just a camera. I am really likes good quality photos thatswhy i made decision to spend lot of money. I had read that D500 dont have autofocus for video shots.

@6Pack
I already own 1 Sony P&S and handycam, so already aware of flash and zooms. BTW dont think i am master of flash and zooms:).

^^ Sunny now has a 7D !!!!

@OP - Get the Panasonic. Its better AND cheaper than the Canon equivalent. Why spend extra for that ?

Panasonic comes with a 3 year warranty if you want to buy with bill. So put your mind at rest and enjoy the camera. Never be brand fanatic unless you have a DSLR and have invested in some lenses in a given system. For instance I cannot use Nikon/Canon lenses since I have invested too much in the Sony system.

For you its different, if you use a Canon P&S today, nothing stops you from using a Panasonic P&S if it gives you better value than a Canon.

@_pappu_ - Yes I will never recommend someone to start learning photography with a DSLR but then there are so many 1 - 3 day courses which teach you all the basics. My friend started with a DSLR and I gave him a 1 hour lesson on the basics. And I was amazed that he started taking better pictures than me even though I was already comfortable with my DSLR. :(

A DSLR is not very complicated if you are willing to invest a little time to come to grips with it. If all you want is to click photos of parties and occasions then a P&S will be more than sufficient. :)

maddy_in65 said:
@D.payne
I am really likes good quality photos thatswhy i made decision to spend lot of money.

Throwing money at the problem is not the solution. Whether you get a dslr or a P&S, are you ready to put in the time and effort to understand what goes into a good shot?

Today i bought Canon EOS 500D DSLR camera for 45k here and now facing my wifes anger due to spending lot of bucks over my budget :eek:hyeah:
Now working on its different functions, hope you guys give me tips to shoot best images.:D

R u sure i don't need screen guard bcoz i am worried about it.

The dealer has informed me that if i join Canon Edge program online, i would get 1 year extended warranty and they sent a camera bag and photography book. Is it true.

^^Yes it is true.

Book is absolute nubish though.

But will be handy for your wife especially if she wants to learn.

I think you ll get most of the stuff in the cartoonish book yourself.

nevertheless it is a nice addition to your starting endeavor.

Back