Budget 0-20k Need Graphic card suggestions

Pats

Disciple
Hi Folks

I want to add a graphics card to an old PC (my old thread). This is a stop gap till i build a proper gaming PC 1-2 years later. I have a 10 year old son who is starting to get into gaming and is always after me for a 'gaming pc' :rolleyes:

I currently have

i3 4160
Asus H81M CS
CM elite 311
Kingston hyperx Fury 8gb
Antec vp 500

Do you think adding a GPU would help in improving the performance? If yes please suggest something under 10k. I can get stuff from US as well if that helps

Thanks!

Your setup is fairly old so adding money to is a waste specially GPU in the time of crisis but anyways if you can grab a second hand 1060 3gb/570 @10~12k or 1050 within 10k would be good.

This will surely make your PC perform much better and can play most of the current games in medium/full settings (please don't quote me for 60 FPS when I say full setting... thats not gonna happen)

Your setup is fairly old so adding money to is a waste specially GPU in the time of crisis but anyways if you can grab a second hand 1060 3gb/570 @10~12k or 1050 within 10k would be good.

This will surely make your PC perform much better and can play most of the current games in medium/full settings (please don't quote me for 60 FPS when I say full setting... thats not gonna happen)
So you don’t suggest a new card? Hmm. Second hand GPU might be tricky.. thanks man

Adding a GPU will definitely help you over what your rig currently is capable of. But current time is probably worst time to buy a GPU as demand is way more than supply due to many reasons. This has lead to prices on whole new level.

If you absolutely need a GPU, my suggestion is to get a stop-gap arrangement and spend less (cause when GPU prices normalizes - say may be next year, you don't incur significant depreciation). Something like used GTX960 should pair quite good.

Adding a GPU will definitely help you over what your rig currently is capable of. But current time is probably worst time to buy a GPU as demand is way more than supply due to many reasons. This has lead to prices on whole new level.

If you absolutely need a GPU, my suggestion is to get a stop-gap arrangement and spend less (cause when GPU prices normalizes - say may be next year, you don't incur significant depreciation). Something like used GTX960 should pair quite good.
I think I understand. Have read about chip shortage globally. Will look for a used one till the supply stabilises

I'll chime in because I have nearly the same config and let me tell you, that cpu bottlenecks everything. I have a gtx 950 and half the time the cpu is pegged at 100% while the gpu is chilling at ~80% in modern games.
So don't get anything with more than gtx950 level performance because you're just wasting money.Also, try to get AMD because nvidia has a higher driver overhead which makes things worse on low end cpus.

Hi Folks

I want to add a graphics card to an old PC (my old thread). This is a stop gap till i build a proper gaming PC 1-2 years later. I have a 10 year old son who is starting to get into gaming and is always after me for a 'gaming pc' :rolleyes:

I currently have

i3 4160
Asus H81M CS
CM elite 311
Kingston hyperx Fury 8gb
Antec vp 500

Do you think adding a GPU would help in improving the performance? If yes please suggest something under 10k. I can get stuff from US as well if that helps

Thanks!
The gpu prices are insane rn , they probably will be overpriced for a very long time , You could look into buying an APU which is basically a CPU but it has a better than normal integrated gpu , an example would be a Ryzen 3 3200g

I'll chime in because I have nearly the same config and let me tell you, that cpu bottlenecks everything. I have a gtx 950 and half the time the cpu is pegged at 100% while the gpu is chilling at ~80% in modern games.
So don't get anything with more than gtx950 level performance because you're just wasting money.Also, try to get AMD because nvidia has a higher driver overhead which makes things worse on low end cpus.
Thanks. Do you mean a AMD gpu? Any suggestions?

BTW, I am trying to trying to source a GT 1030. Hoping to pay between 7-9k for a new one. Good idea?
The gpu prices are insane rn , they probably will be overpriced for a very long time , You could look into buying an APU which is basically a CPU but it has a better than normal integrated gpu , an example would be a Ryzen 3 3200g
Something like this ?

Would it be compatible with my current mobo? And would you suggest it instead of getting the GT 1030? (of course i 'd have to swap out the i3)

BTW, I am trying to trying to source a GT 1030. Hoping to pay between 7-9k for a new one. Good idea?

GT1030 is not a good idea, IMO.

Something like this ?

Would it be compatible with my current mobo? And would you suggest it instead of getting the GT 1030? (of course i 'd have to swap out the i3)

Not compatible with your mobo and RAM. Swapping processor mean change in mobo and RAM both.

Back