Audio Need Headphone with Volume Control

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi

Looking to buy a good quality/build headphone with volume-control.

Budget : Upto 3.5K +/- 500
Cable length:
6 feet or so
Frequency Response :
looking at 12 - 24
For : Music | HD Movies | Ocassional Audio Editing | general purposes
Brand preference : Sennheiser or any other brand

Main use on the RIG mentioned in my sign

Querries :
1. Should I also opt for a mic - Do "Headphones with Mic" have any performance issues ?
2. How are Steel Series ?
3. Does usb offer good connectivity over conventional 3.5mm ?

Came across this Steel Series 3H Headset with Volume Control - It's not in stock however what's amazing is the freq response of 10Hz-27kHz & price just Rs 1830/-

Kindly give me the links too or Just the Brand & model

Thanks
Terry

EDIT: How is this (although priced higher than my budget) Corsair Vengeance 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Gaming Headset @ 4.5K. This headset touts superior comfort, a built in USB sound card and amplifier, 7.1 audio processing, and a sleek appearance see review

BUMP ...... BUMP ..... BUMP

Anybody home :ashamed: ..... No one on TE who has used Headphones with Volume Control ...... Am I the ONLY bloke :bleh:

I'm ready to drop the "mic" part as a requirement ..... meanwhile searching thru BAJAAO ... (it's a nightmare :O as they do not have any search filters )

Ahhhh a response (at last :)) ... Will look into it. Meanwhile, I realise that there are multiple threads about Headphone requirements on TE so will dig into them to see what I can come up with.

Hi terence Sire, here are my chips too (for all their worth) --
  • Corsair Vengeance 1300 ~3500/- (true 2.1 headphones, already suggested earlier)
  • Corsair Vengeance 1500 ~4500/- (7.1 Dolby Digital surround sound certified system and a USB connector)
If you can relax the mic-on-headphone requirement a lot more options will open up for you with a more AUDIOPHILIC tinge to them, especially options like Koss PortaPro and Audio Technica offerings.

I like the newer crop of USB connector based offerings as they have a lot more flexibility in terms of usage and fewer wires to clutter the desk / work-place.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

dude ..i am also looking for the same requirements on the separate thread you mentioned.
Stay in touch buddy. We'll find our need soon!

- - - Updated - - -

ALPHA17.... i researched a lot

Audio technica...ATH WS55i

Klipsch IMAGE ONE

skullcandy HESH2.0

any other alternative ..but slightly lower price... with mic ..please

- - - Updated - - -

Steel Series 3H Headset with Volume
this one is basically for gaming only..i checked its reviews...

Hi terence Sire,

• Corsair Vengeance 1500 ~4500/- (7.1 Dolby Digital surround sound certified system and a USB connector)
If you can relax the mic-on-headphone requirement a lot more options will open up for you with a more AUDIOPHILIC tinge to them, especially options like Koss PortaPro and Audio Technica offerings.

I like the newer crop of USB connector based offerings as they have a lot more flexibility in terms of usage and fewer wires to clutter the desk / work-place.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

I realise that the mic is an impediment towards getting really good quality headphones & so am DROPPING THE MIC requirement. However, I simply cannot drop the "Volume Control"

Many thanks Abhay (always appreciate your inputs). I like the Corsair 1500 .... Just a wee bit worried about the overall weight + would it be comfy for 2-3 hours or more for watching movies.

Also came across this one Steelseries 3H Headset with USB (similar to corsair except this has a retractable mic + better frequency response 10-27 Hz) & priced at Rs 3239 vs the Rs 4500 for Corsair. The latter has a better 50mm driver & Dolby 7.1. Also looking at Behringer series at bajaao

Would coupling an extension cable result in a loss of signal/performance ?

Incidently, my Cabby (Storm Stryker has a HD Audio 3.5 mm output on the top cover).... So as the Corsair 1500 is usb based -would it still guarantee HD audio output?

Is there a major & perceptible difference between "Gamers Headphones" & An "Audiophilic" headphones ? I am looking at the latter specifically.
Check this quote
Again the sound clarity is extremely good, but the bass? Eh. Hardcore audiophiles, and bass lovers will not want to get this headset. They really shouldn’t in the first place as these are gaming headsets, not media specific headsets.
from the review of Corsair 1500

Lastly, could you elaborate on what you meant by USB connector based offerings as they have a lot more flexibility in terms of usage and fewer wires to clutter the desk / work-place.

Cheers
Terry

- - - Updated - - -

i have lifechat lx4000 brand new packed piece with 3 yrs warranty for sale

Thanks mate & apologies .... however, the above has too much of a "corporate feel" and would not meet my requirements - primarily to handle HD Films & HD-Audio & give the pleasure of listening to rich textured notes/beats/sounds in music.

Is the volume control really very important ? Asking cause some of the best headphones under 4-5k considered entry level audiophile headphone's don't have a volume control.

Incase you do consider dropping the volume control requirement - check out

Audio Technica ATH-AD500 ( ultra comfortable , almost weightless and best for movies / classical music - light on bass and leak sound outside due to open design - have a spacious feel to it )

JVC RX-700 ( Closed cans - very tight on the head so slightly uncomfortable for long hours usage but having amazing heavy bass and detailing for the price tag ~3.1k or so via Global Easy Buy ).

Is the volume control really very important ? Asking cause some of the best headphones under 4-5k considered entry level audiophile headphone's don't have a volume control.

Incase you do consider dropping the volume control requirement - check out

Audio Technica ATH-AD500 ( ultra comfortable , almost weightless and best for movies / classical music - light on bass and leak sound outside due to open design - have a spacious feel to it )

JVC RX-700 ( Closed cans - very tight on the head so slightly uncomfortable for long hours usage but having amazing heavy bass and detailing for the price tag ~3.1k or so via Global Easy Buy ).

Hey Faheem... Howdy, long time no see mate :head: .... I'm afraid the "Volume Control" is very very important to me .... I just cannot compromise on this (willing to drop the "mic" part).

I need Volume Control for the following reasons.
It's always a torture to reach out each time to the system's control panel to adjust things..... longer procedure & a PITA
I would also like to use this Headphone for watching 1080p movies on my 47" LED (streamed thru my i7-3770K) sitting at 6 -10 feet away from the PC.
I have a wireless keyboard but again..... I can't sit with it on my lap naa:(
And I do not want a wireless headphone - coz that's another PITA when the batteries run out esp at prime-time :bleh:
When I am doing sound editing (not so often) ... then, I play some segments in a loop & roll my chair back and forth .... twiddling at the volume to catch every possible nuance.
And a zillion other reasons ..... :p

Dunno why all the major brands do not have this teeny requirement .... is it an impediment or am I a stubborn nutcase :no2:
Btw...willing to spend upto 5K - 5.5K now for a really good Audiophilic Headphone with Vol Control.

Terry

here is an apt example of a quality headphone with volume control at the right place - sigh, why did they stop this design ?

My search over the past few days has been futile to find an appropriate "Headphone with an Integrated Volume Control" .... I have cut down my requirements and all I seek now is

A decent Headphone (I am cool with even a 1.2m or 1.5 m cable length & no need for a mic) PROVIDED ...... I can find an Headphone extension cable 3.5mm jack with an in-line Volume Control - the link quoted sennheiser is too bloody expensive & not available in India

My Headphone requirements are still - 40/50mm driver; 10Hz-22KHz frequency response & sheathing (ear padding that's not too dense........as I sweat a Lot).... upto 5K

I discussed this matter with my colleagues & all were shocked & surprised ...... BUT until 20 years ago, they did offer fantastic Headphones with a "Volume Control" on both ears - this also helped those with minimal hearing impaired problems to balance out both the L & R ear volumes (see the link mentioned above post). Today, most use of wired-headphones is for portable devices (which negates the need for a dedicated volume control) & the rest are divided between DJ's, Studio Monitoring: Gamers and the odd Audiophiles ........

ONLINE SHOPPING IN INDIA IS A MESS & A NIGHTMARE FOR HEADPHONES ..........

Bajaao - Great Audio site but lacking in "filtered search strings" and providing the "tech-specs" of Headphones
Pristinenote - sad & all the above is applicable
Furtados - same as above
Sennheiser India - TOTAL SHIT .......... just look at the sennheiser global site & the "search options with myraid filters" in the Shop&Buy section.
These two that I had narrowed down from Sennheiser are just not available to us in India - Sennheiser HZR 62 cable with integrated volume control | Sennheiser HD 65 TV with Integrated Vol Control
Sennheiser has also the most Headphones - over 250 .... to drive anyone Crazy
theitdepot - lists the maximum amount of Headphones - but over 80 per-cent are
Against Order : Product listed but dispatch depending on Availability
Anyways - theirs is the best site that has filtered options

As I continue my search ..... I would'nt want to blow up my money for anything not worth the value of what I seek.

OFFLINE SEARCH
I visited - Chroma / iStore / Staples / Reliance Digital / Ezone - and the sales agents were "clueless" when I described what I wanted - most ended up showing me the cheapo - chinese variants (not full ear type) .... so I am stuck.

Let's see ... I may settle for a minimal Sony Headphone (within 2K budget and with a 3m cable length) - the MDR-XD or MA series.

go with what faheem suggested and ad a Fiio e3 in between for volume control (you will have to buy a 1-2m 3.5mm male to male cable). remember to connect the cable in the line-out of the computer, not the headphone out.

Back